Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
asl3312
Aspirant
Aspirant

Basestation VMB3010r2 - FW 1.12.0.1_27940

Camera Model H7(?) - FW 1.3.314

I have a 3 camera system (front, rear and side), the side and rear cameras will detect motion and send notifications however the front one will not, except on the very rare occasion. Someone could be stood at the front door and it not be picked up. I have repostioned the camera numerous times but still the same. It has been like this since installing the cameras just over a month ago. 

I am currently subscribed to  ARLO SMART PREMIER which allows activity zones to be created and person detection etc and I have set up activity zones as shown in the screenshots. Also I have the smart notifications set to PEOPLE only. 

I have even swapped the front and rear cameras over to test if it was a faulty camera but the one from the front is working as it should at the rear.  I regularly reboot the basestation to see if it has any effect but does not seem to make any difference.

Any help gratefully received but I'm afraid I am rapidly loosing faith in this ARLO system.FRONT.jpgREAR.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the issue did not follow the camera, then the problem is with the placement ( no pics showing yet ).

Placement is as important as sense level... I had to move my front door camera away from the door to face the door to get good response.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
asl3312
Aspirant
Aspirant
How do I get the photos to appear?

The front and rear cameras are mounted in pretty much the same position and pointing down towards the doors. They are on the same wall as their respective door.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

photos are approved by site Mod, so they will appear prob tomorrow...

Have you tried to turn off all Smart options for the front camera and / or increase the sense level of camera??

asl3312
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah I've tried turning every smart option off, adjusted the sensitivity and changed the camera position several times so action area would be in different parts of the frame but it's the still the same. It's like the front camera does not react fast enough to motion.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

until the pics show up, unable to help... but still sounds like placement.

Gunner719
Aspirant
Aspirant

Two of my cameras are not detecting motion. Replaced batteries with approved batteries and still not working. Motion test tells me “camera positioning and motion detection test disabled to other activities happening from this camera.  Very upset with system. Worked till I replaced batteries. Also upset no phone support available. Would not recommend Arllo !!,

asl3312
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have experienced this also. Make sure your mode is set to UNARMED before trying the motion detection test. From what I gather through my own trial and error, you can not carry out the test whilst the camera is busy and the reason it is busy is because it is detecting you.
asl3312
Aspirant
Aspirant
Are the photos visible to others yet? I can see them.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can see them since you posted them. The rest of have to wait - they're now visible.

The big issue I see with both front and rear is that motion tends to be mostly AT the camera, not across the FOV, which PIR sensors have a hard time with. Are you getting front recordings without notifications or no recordings, either?

asl3312
Aspirant
Aspirant

I understand what you are saying but unfortunately there is no better place to mount other than on that wall. The door is next to the outside lamp so there is a degree of movement across the POV when entering or exiting. The rear seems a lot more effective than the front.

However, yesterday I set up my own custom mode and increased the motion detection to 100 in there instead of inside the detection test function and results have been far more successful. I have had 4 people at the front door today and the camera picked up, recorded and notified me of 3 of them, whereas before it would not have registered any. 

Would distance from basestation have any effect on recording and notification accuracy as I have it more towards the rear of the house?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The place you're setting the motion sensitivity is always a question. The test is just a test - it doesn't save since that would make it a global setting. Modes and rules are the only places to actually set it. Glad you figured it out.

DIstance to the base doesn't affect sensitivity although it can have other issues. If it's working for you, I wouldn't change anything.

asl3312
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. I was unaware of the motion detection in the modes section, I thought it was in the test section . I guess this is where I was going wrong.