Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
DogMonster
Guide
Guide

Is there any reason that I couldn't or  should not just chop off the Arlo Pro connector and go with  the solder/alligator clip directly to the battery terminals method to modify this to  power an Arlo VMC3030?

16 REPLIES 16
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes....It you do it wrong you end up with a brick and no warranty

tho some have hardwired the Arlo's in the past, it  also does take a bit of electronic knowledge to make it work properly

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
DogMonster
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the warning on  potential damage.

I've been following Sin_city's thread on using the USB por and subsequent caveat discoveries   since I bought my Arlo in 2015. And also another thread that details hardwiring a power adapter plug pigtail to the battery terminal coils which is why I was inquiring about modifying the VMA4700  that appears capable of fitting my exact needs if I can hardwire it to the coils. I'm pretty sure I'm beyond warranty anyway so what the heck.

VMA4700 Outdoor Power Adapter for Arlo ProVMA4700 Outdoor Power Adapter for Arlo Pro

Can anyone venture a guess from the tiny plug what I can expect wiring-wise after chopping it off? A Red & a Black?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First of all make sure you know the voltage...it's not 12v like some internet places say.

If you not worried about warranty, I say you'd be better off with a reg ac wall wart over the 4700... The 4700 is prob going to put out dual voltage ala Qualcomm chargers and you're not going to find a black/ red wire... Tho it is waterproof ,the outlet still needs to be too

there were some old threads on this site if you search with pics

DogMonster
Guide
Guide

Even outside where it's likely to get rain and snow on it?

The pro has different voltage than the first generation?

DogMonster
Guide
Guide

I believe it was one of your old comments recommending the Moultrie Solar Panel that is 6V, the info on the 4700 doesn't give any specs, maybe someone from Netgear can chime in?

I've been going on the assumption I'd need a 9V 1.5 amp charger to run an Arlo first generation.

DogMonster
Guide
Guide

The outlet I want to use is weatherproof.

Weatherproof coverWeatherproof cover

DogMonster
Guide
Guide

AVMC3030 modAVMC3030 mod

Sin_City's photo's on the USB port method are just placeholders now, the account must be closed.

The only thing I know about electricity is that it's dangerous so I'm looking for help on this.

Am I misunderstanding by thinking that this outdoor adapter is going to provide the same current as a wall wart charger then? Thanks for the help.

I can't afford replacing the batteries and an Arlo Pro isn't small enough for my stealth mounting location.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

then why not switch to rechargeable batteries.  Netgear has now certified the Tenergy 3.7v gold colored rechargeables, easily ordered o namazon.com for usa and amazon.ca in Canadsa but hard to obtain in most other countries,  One of my cam uses Nitecores which are also good.  Avoid the cheap chinese ones,

DogMonster
Guide
Guide

When I  looked into rechargeables   last year  people were  still reporting issues with them.  Prior to the Netgear certifying them maybe? But mainly it was the $80 investment of the  batterries & charger vs.  a mere $20 for the outdoor outlet this time around..

I've had good results using Streamlight CR123A and save for  one bad box SureFire's have lasted fairly well.

Any advice on how to adapt the VMA4700  Outdoor Adapter power the Arlo "regular" VMC3030 camera greatly appreciated.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

DogMonster wrote:

I believe it was one of your old comments recommending the Moultrie Solar Panel that is 6V, the info on the 4700 doesn't give any specs, maybe someone from Netgear can chime in?

I've been going on the assumption I'd need a 9V 1.5 amp charger to run an Arlo first generation.

It very well may be... But if i did , it was along with the same company 6 v battery combo.

I ran an Arlo off a 6v gell cell ( they do put out more than 6v ) with a solar panel and 317 chip controller for a while without issue almost 2 yrs ago.

Yes, if wiring up an Arlo, you'll need to follow the pic show ( both sets of terminals wired correctly ) with about 8v at an amp. Most have run slightly higher voltages due to dc V loss with longer runs of small wire.

As you know your on your own..but take pictures and show what you do if you do ( but I wouldn't use an expenesive wall wart to do it )

DogMonster
Guide
Guide

Thanks Tom I have one of these arriving today:

OMNIHIL Regulated 9 Volt 1.5 Amp Power Adapter, AC to DC, 2.1mm X 5.5mm Barrel Plug, Regulated Power Supply 9v 1.5a Power Supply 8 Foot Long Cord

It's going to be outside and  while I can shield it from moisture  and sun I hope it can handle  the outside temperatures year round.

I may just eBay the VMA 4700 when it gets here. I bought the last one on Amazon.

thedogmonster
Tutor
Tutor

Tom,

I finished wiring the camera using the 9 volt charger and it's working great. Pictures to follow.

I bought the Moultrie 6V solar panel and most of the gell cells are 14 amp, this Gallagher electric fence battery is 7Ah https://www.amazon.com/Gallagher-Electric-Fence-Replacement-Battery/dp/B015ZBMOLG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8...

Do you think it will work? What amp battery did you use?

The camera is mounted 10 feet up and a pain to change batteries. I'm disabled.

Do you think it's feasible to wire this DC Power splitter female plug into the lid and use the Moultrie to recharge a set of Tenergy batteries continuously?

Any advice would be much appreciated Thanks.

DogMonster
Guide
Guide

I sent back the Outdoor Power Supply VMA4700 and went with a 9Volt 1.5 amp charger http://amzn.to/2hsfxdW.

The  Suncrest hose caddyhas been on my porch for about 20 years. The second I bought the Arlo system I set out to hide one inside. You can see plastic plugs where I previously mounted the VideoSecu Camera mount base. http://amzn.to/2fd0DYbI.  After numerous attempts with rivets I used Sugru moldable rubber to position the base so the camera  nestles between the slide bars for the hose guide. A few drops of blue threadlocker keep the camera aligned perfectly.  I used a dremel tool to cut channels for the charger wire and plugs to keep them up and away from the hose reel. I got the roll of plastic conduit at Lowes as well as the perfect size  3 way outlet that's also Sugrued to the back wall.

I now have  five (5)  extra 2 inch rubber desk grommets for anybody for free with a SASE..soldered the female DC plug to the coils and bridged to the other two coils. I sealed the hole with Polly Plastics thermoplastic and also used it to rebuild the melted lip of the battery compartment. Stroke survivor with one good hand. Oops.

You can see previous mounting locations plugged with thermoplastic. A Rustoleum Stone Texture paint job nicely disguises the sanded  plastic plugs on the lid. After twenty years it needed a new look.I can use the extra outlet to plug in the timer at Christmas but I have outlet covers installed in  the event of any willy nilly water.

P1020581.JPGP1020584.JPGP1020585.JPGP1020587.JPGP1020590.JPGP1020588.JPGP1020589.JPG

DogMonster
Guide
Guide

A view to a kill.

The bird damaged skin on the Arlo and the white label in the upper left reveal my current project.IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1844.JPG

thedogmonster
Tutor
Tutor
DogMonster
Guide
Guide

FYI to anyone considering converting an Arlo first gen camera to solar power:

FactoryOutletStore.com has the Moultrie 6 volt Deluxe solar panel on clearance for $27.95 and 6 volt 5 amp rechargeable battery for $21.95. Sale ends tomorrow.

Photos of my conversion coming soon.