Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Sin_City
Star
Star

Disclaimer:

-Do it at your own risk. I do not take any responsiblity for your actions.

-I do not take credit for discovering the USB port. I heard it for the first time from jimmyzshack (thank you) from another post.

-This will void your warranty.

-Be prepared to lose a camera (to me the work is absolutely safe).

-Someone (TomMac) has said it may burn the port out.

-I wouldn't use it outdoors unless you silicone the opening for the USB cord.

I need to convert 4 cameras for interior use. All other maker security cams run on a 5V USB type charger. Including ones that pan, zoom, tilt so I'm chancing that this will work. I am currently using the dice-sized iPhone charger. I wonder if it is better to use the larger iPad charger or something that outputs 10w 2.1 amps?  I have no electrical background, but I am guessing that the unit uses 4 batteries for power reserve capacity and there is some voltage regulator to bring it down to 5v. Just a guess. The IR also work with this mod.

Separate the battery cover by gently prying it off from one side. The slide lock may fly out. I didn't bother replacing it since the lock is redundant and I'm not using batteries.

Grind the plastic lid

Grind the metal battery door backing plate so the USB cable will fit.

Test fit theUSB cord

Mark the approximate locations to grind an opening (I will make a template for subsequent cameras to speed up process).

Drill pilot hole

Grind opening and check for fitment of USB cable.

Enjoy (temporary location-will run wires behind drwall).

Good luck!

69 REPLIES 69
Sin_City
Star
Star

I'm getting a feeling that Netgear purposely made the metallic "spade" to block easy conversion to USB power or to prevent it's usage for some technical reason. I hope an engineer from Netgear would chime in.

Metal cover

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sin_City,

I am inclined to advise that the micro-usb port on the camera is only intended to be used to reset the camera. Unintentional use, as you illustrate above, may damage the camera and will void the warranty.

With that being said, I appreciate the disclaimer you have provided and strongly discourage use of the micro-usb port in this way.

The solution to the following thread defines the purpose of the micro-usb port and its intended use:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Camera-off-line/m-p/5640#U5640

If you have any additional questions regarding this please ask, I would be happy to clarify!

JamesC

Sin_City
Star
Star

Thanks for chiming in and providing a link of the purpose of the USB port. Since I have already voided the warranty on this camera, I might as well be the guinea pig and see how long this will last. I'll hold off on the other three cameras. I am using the 2.1 amp iPad charger instead of the 1 amp iPhone charger now.

sw23185
Initiate
Initiate

I for one would be very interested in having a camera with a hard-wired power option available from NetGear.  I'm looking for a camera to monitor our vacation home 2,000 miles away in the Rocky Mountains so having a dead battery (and therefore a useless camera) is a very real possibility - I'd be blind until my next trip.  I find it rather amusing to see that this battery-powered camera is specifically advertised for vacation home monitoring - LINK - what a joke.  This is a major weakness in what is an otherwise promising product.  The other weakness I see is the glossy white exterior - some flat Krylon Fusion spray paint to match my exterior trim would have to be my next purchase ...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sw23185 wrote:

Rocky Mountains so having a dead battery (and therefore a useless camera) is a very real possibility - I'd be blind until my next trip.  I find it rather amusing to see that this battery-powered camera is specifically advertised for vacation home monitoring - LINK - what a joke. 

Sorry, but don't see it as a big problem like you state..

I have two cameras ( of 6 ) that are used just as security cameras.  They get very little normal use like maybe a min or two per week viewing, but are set for motion record 5 days per week. These two cameras have had the OEM batteries installed on 2/24 and still are full on the battery indicator.

The other cameras that have OEM batteries usu get just about 4 months before swapping out... so unless your only there a couple times per year then it could be a problem... or using the camera more than the rated spec of 4 mins per day, there should be enough time to change them.

If your camera are recording more than spec outdoors, maybe you should use them more inside to lower the false records.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
sw23185
Initiate
Initiate

Sorry esteemed contributor, but *I* see it as a big problem (like I state).  What an *ss ...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry esteemed contributor, but *I* see it as a big problem (like I state). 

Say what you like, but battery or ac power both have their possible problems... nothing is perfect.

One thing to note is if the ac power fails sometimes connection is lost between the cameras and base. The base will auto start up, but if the camera connection is lost there is no remote reboot of the cameras and the system is still down. 

Maybe the Arlo system is just not suited for your intended uses and you's be better served by a hard wired system

Sin_City
Star
Star

Same issue here with a vacation home 1500 miles away.

STS1985
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Sin_City,

Any progress updates on your conversion? Is the camera still functioning?

I am interested in doing my own conversion and am curious about your results thusfar!

Thanks!

Sin_City
Star
Star

Still functioning. I wasn't getting push notices but the emails were still coming in. That was more of an iPhone issue and once I restarted the phone, the push notices were back to normal.

greenhorn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sin, many thanks for taking the plunge - did way too much research on this topic and your post was the only reason I bought this gear. 

*I have a sacrificial camera at the ready however wanted to get a 3 month check-in/update with any feedback/wisdom you can provide -- still going strong....?

*for those gifted ones that know better than me/my scenario (wired solution) -- no need trying to tell me that somehow fewer options/features and more maintenance/cost is somehow a benefit/feature to me - save your keystrokes;)

fongpay
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow, some really interesting work you guys have done. Curious to see if you can use rechargeable (or disposable) batteries IN ADDITION to the USB AC adapter...

• Would the Arlo allow that?
  • Would the rechargeables get a tickle charge?
  • Would the disposables kick in if the AC loss power?

Thanks for all the DIY's "hacks"...

Balwani
Aspirant
Aspirant

My plan is to utilize this thread and do something similar since where my two cameras are is already pre-wired for poe.  I am going to buy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AH5XCLC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2SZCFXJT89WME

This will inject the power over the ethernet wire going from my bedroom to the two cameras then from there a wire converts it from ethernet to a usb port which i will plug into the camera using method from this thread.  The voltage is same like iPad so in theory it should work just fine.  I hate that I have to drill the back battery plate.  Somebody should create a replica that is 3D printed with the hole for USB pre defined. That would ensure no damage to the actual hardware. Or Arlo should open the option up to be able to power this via USB and create a replacement battery door.  

I am also going to buy Ruber Grommets to make sure the hole where usb is going into camera is sealed off as best as can be. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RXCD5DM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1ZGQULSE21FHN

thoughts? 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

• Would the rechargeables get a tickle charge?
  • Would the disposables kick in if the AC loss power?

To the best of my knowledge,...

No, the batteries will not get a trickle charge AND it can be dangerous to have same on a LI-ion battery unless  power supplied is designed for trickle charge.

Remember that the 3.7v  recharable cells total 7.4 v + max level and they are considered dead buy the battery sense circuit at about a 6v level.

USB is spec'ed as 5v output max. (+/-)

As to the second, it may but the only way to know is do it.

Sin_City
Star
Star

Still going strong and getting email and push updates. I have several cameras waiting to be modded after I let the trial run a couple of more months.

seggreeses
Tutor
Tutor

I tried the USB port, but it was not working for me. The camera stopped after one motion detection.

I did a little modification because I had 3 cameras outside aloft. I hated to replace the batteries.
After the modification there was a big rain for 3 hours, and the camera is perfectly rain proof. The motion detection and the recording is perfectly working.

I use a UPS for 3 cameras, main unit and for the internet. So if the power will off, everything will be working. 

There is only need a 6V 2A adapter and 2 clips per camera.

IMG_20151114_141331.jpgIMG_20151114_141339.jpgIMG_20151114_143621.jpg

Chmura
Tutor
Tutor

I did this USB mod and the camera stops working after one motion detection just like the above poster.

I tried adapters with 5.1V 0.7A, 5V 0.5A, 5V 2.0A and 5V 1.5A which doesn't work all. What kind of adapter are you using Sin_City?

Balwani
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got all the cabeling and to test I just set it up on my counter and hard wired it using the POE I listed above.  The camera turns on and works and I can stream however I am not getting push notifications.  I wonder if that is an issue of having it hardwired. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

you still have the software limit of a max of 30 min record irregardless of how powered.

Sin_City
Star
Star

I am using an iPad 2.1 amp charger that was designed for a gen 2 iPad. Not sure what chargers are used for the current iPad. I did have one issue about 2 weeks ago where the camera went offline. I had to reset it by unplugging and plugging it back in. We also had a power surge around that time so I don't know what the exact issue it was that caused the camera needing a reset.

Tulley
Apprentice
Apprentice
You can get variable power supplies cheap that have micro usb connectors. I am wondering if people may have more success with one of these set to 6v....Just a thought.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Variable-Voltage-replacement-supply/dp/B005EWJGFY/ref=sr_1_7?ie...
twospirits
Guide
Guide

My system should be arriving this weekend and I will be testing this hack on one of my cameras. But I have yet to decide which power adapter to use.

I was thinking either getting this Zozo Adapter 12W 3V-12V that has a USB plug or the NIppoon America 2000mA one. Both have a USB plug but the Zozo one attaches directly to the adpaters power cord. So getting that one will depend on how far away the Arlo Camera will be from a plug. The Nippon one has a female usb ending which would allow me to get an extra long USB to micro-USB cord.

I'm also a bit not sure on which setting to set the adapter to 5V or 6V. Would that even matter since the USB plugs are rated as 5V?

TS

Lov2camp
Tutor
Tutor
I hard wired 2 cameras using 12 v 1000 mha power supply's last night. Putting a jumper wire from pos to pos and Neg to neg.

I was going to return my set until I found this posting everything is working great now I'm going to mod the other 2 cameras next. Silly they don't offer a way to power them first off. I almost bought another system because of the cost of the batteries.
Lov2camp
Tutor
Tutor
Also be carful soldering that magnet is very strong I burned my hand a few times doing the first one LOL