Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Zoom not working

Discussion stats
Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have noticed this week that the zoom feature in my Cameras does not work like it used to. It seems the digital zoom will not increase past 2.0, which used to not be the case. I used to be able to zoom in much more than this and some of the items I used to be able to monitor with the zoom are out of range. Any ideas why this is happening ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been resolved in the latest version of the Arlo iOS mobile app. Be sure to check the app store and update to the latest version of the Arlo mobile app: Release Notes - iOS App 2.4.7 - 7th March 2018

JamesC

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I guess you may be talking IOS ?...

Yes, the digital zoom has dropped from about 8x to 2-3x .... maybe due to be compatible with the Arlo Baby

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yeah i am using iOS. Is it only on iOS? I haven't tried on PC or an android device yet. Is there a work around or anything else I can do. For example I used to be able to see into my pets food bowl to see if food dispensed and I used to be able to see the lock indicator on a door but now I can't distinguish those details.
Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice
It seems to still work on playback though
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

IOS was updated last week, this week Android is so it may change too..  PC no change yet

Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have escalated this topic for review. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

Ipsb11
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for escalating, James. Have you received any updates regarding the 2x zoom on iOS?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ipsb11,

This issue is still being investigated by the engineering team. I will post more information as soon as I can.

JamesC

Kimmyy14
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm following... Experiencing the same problem here! Also iOS...
Jpac447
Aspirant
Aspirant
We also are out this feature! We loved this to check on our babies breathing. Anticipated the baby cam, we now have that but lost the extreme zoom! This really makes it hard for us to love the new system 😞 please Arlo put our zoom back!
Andy0897
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has there been any update to fix this problem as I have same problem won't zoom past 2x used to be more then I did Arlo update useing iPhone any help be good as I use the cameras for my business now I can't really zoom in
Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice
Any resolution to this?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is still investigating. I will provide more information when I have an update.

JamesC

Jpac447
Aspirant
Aspirant
How is this still not resolved? It seems like bs. A simple step of rewriting the ap code to allow the zoom feature to 8x again. The 2x zoom is pathetic and I don't think this should be taking this long to resolve. Again I rely on this camera to watch for my baby's breathing. In fact specifically bought the baby cam for this reason. Our Arlo wireless had such great resolution and ZOOM. And now with the last app update, it's gone. Just out it back Netgear.
Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Jpac447

It is a very frustrating issue. The zoom still works on Android devices and on prior app versions on iOS. My wife had t updated her Arlo app on purpose so we could still use the zoom to check on the automated feeder/water we use for our pets. With that issue and the recent issues of not recording in very hot temperatures (I don't believe the operating range is correct. This summer I can stand in front of cameras and waive and it won't detect motion) that I took the money I was planning to use to upgrade to Arlo pro and bought 4 new cameras with another brand that have worked flawlessly and integrate more efficiently with the Samsung SmartThings platform. Now I can easily see the food and water when I am gone. Just something to consider.
Pgsullivan
Luminary
Luminary
Hi

How come when you go into live mode within the iPhone app in the small multiple screens initial section you can zoom into x3 magnification. But when you press the button to make one camera full screen you can then only zoom in x2? Seems a bit odd if it can go to x3 in a different area of the app?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pgsullivan,

There is currently a known issue with using the zoom feature on iOS. Engineering is currently investigating this issue. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

vakrjk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ever since I upgraded the app this past May my zoom went from 8.1 to at best 3.0.   Netgear has wasted my time lying and making false promises that they are working on the problem.   I told my wife not to upgrade her app and she still can zoom to 8.1.   They offered me a Three Hundred rebate then backed out of that too.   I also have ask to speak with Pat Lo the CEO and they shut me down completely.   Netgear is garbage and they have zero customer service.  No more Netgear anything for me.

vakrjk
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is a lie.  Netgear has been stalling me since May.  Why don't you back up the warranty on the JUNK you pass of on the public for absurd prices.

Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice
I also am frustrated with this still. As I mentioned it basically made the pet cam useless. I really wish they would go back to the zoom. I moved one camera to try to help but it wasn’t worth it. I am interested too in the rebate you mentioned to try to offset the other brand cameras I bought.
vakrjk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am writing to Patrick Lo, CEO and demanding a resolution to this issue.  They (netgear) are responsible and they WILL fix it or refund me and I AM NOT returning the cameras either.

Ahodge
Aspirant
Aspirant

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Is it only the iOS platform? I've just checked on my Android app and it zooms to 8x. I also checked via the web and it appears to zoom to 8x but doesn't say what the magnification is. What I do notice is that at 8x zoom, the frame is pretty pixelated. Not sure how much use 8x zoom is really. It's only when you zoom out a little that there's enough sharpness to make out any details.

As for demanding to talk to the CEO of a major corporation because of a technical issue... uhhh... good luck with that

Jpac447
Aspirant
Aspirant
It seems to be only IOS. I can do it in my web browser. Idk about android. I do know that before the “upgrade”. The 8x zoom was crystal clear! I would watch my newborn on it every night ( why we use to love the camera so much) there have been so many problems lately. I get technical issues but if you have a dedicated baby camera you should not have it shut down during the middle of the night because of tech problems on Arlos hosting end. Or at least have some kind of back up. With all the cameras down the other night it was useless for checking in on my baby.
Jpac447
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also. How long do we have to wait for a resolution. Ridiculous.