Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How does Arlo camera handle very high Amp from DIY external battery pack

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
ulrik
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I am thinking about connecting an external battery pack (lead) 12V 18 amp to the Arlo camera .. would this DIY project be possible or will the hign amp kill the Arlo camera?

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, I would verify that its 12v... To my knowledge it's a 6v system ( two sets of cells in parallel ) , reguardless of what a couple sites on the web have mentioned about 12v, their info is not consistant with the cameras workings.

Second, high available current in terms of amp hrs will not harm a curcuit... the curcuit will draw what it needs from the source...where as high voltage above what the components can handle will " let the smoke out".

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
ulrik
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Tom

Thank you for the fast answer 🙂

Will be nice to get verifyed if the camerea is actually a 6V or 12V system. 

Anybody who know this?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You may get other answers, but 2 hints...

1) there was originally a day camera ( no ir ) that operates on 2 - 3.2v cells in series so 6.4v total ( not put into production as the ir cam was not much more to make )

2) you can put 2 cells into the IR cameras front row ( or back row i believe, only tested front ) and it will operated as normal with half the life ( due to half the current available ) the addition of the IR illuminators called for more available current; ie 2 sets of cells ( in what appears to be ) parallel

cells in series = higher voltage, A+B+ etc

cells in parallel = higher available current , same voltage but available current adds

Morse is faster than texting!