Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
HadlandImaging
Initiate
Initiate

I need to save files with a time stamp on the file.... We recently caught a man breaking into our house and have it on video but

in order for this to stand up in court, the DA has asked for the date/time stamp on video...like it plays back when viewing the ile in ARLO.

Any help in this matter would be great.

Thank youi

todd

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The long number you see on the down loade file is the date /time of the video in EPOCH time

It can be easily converted. here http://www.epochconverter.com/

SOME and only some OS will d/l the file with the regular date time you can read... not sure which ones, it been a while someone asked.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
HadlandImaging
Initiate
Initiate

thank you for the epoch converter link... yes i am aware of this... however... this does not stand up in court because the time stamp MUST be located on the video File.... the only way I can see it done is to record the video playback on the computer, with my iPhone.

any help would be great...

thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Or a third party screen capture prgm

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The metadata is there.  I happen to use MediaInfo as recommended by another user here to check on stuff like that.

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

SJC101
Initiate
Initiate

Yes, you can convert the EPOCH file name to to ge the date and time. But You can also change the file name once you have downloaded it to falsify the time of event. Having a watermarked time stamp on the video itself would be much better.  If this does not geet resolved soon, this camera is comming down. it was a fest camera to see if i wanted to use Arlo over other systems.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Again, it's embedded in the metadata in each video. Theoretically, you could modify that, too, but you should be able to use the metadata as proof.
SJC101
Initiate
Initiate

Ok that's all fine and everything, but really. Even the cheapest analog security system you can get on on Amazon can do on screen time stamps. It's sort off ridiculous that this can't. I'm still not going to add to this test system until that's done. I'll research others. 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Don't hold your breath buy move on it it's a must.

Has been brought up many a time over the years but hasn't happened, nor do I think that Netgear has ever addressed it.

For people for whom timestamps watermarked on the recordings are a must, this system is not for you; for others, this is a great system.

tromlov
Aspirant
Aspirant

When you buy a camera in this price range - you wouldn't really imagine that it would be without an on-file time stamp option... It's like buying a car and asking if it comes with a steering wheel..

I wrote support about this and got the below answer;

"I have inquired with the Arlo Team and unfortunately time stamp on recordings is presently not in the timeline. I can once again recommend to keep requesting it through the community ideas exchange: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange.

Unfortunately The prioritization of product features are regarded as internal business decision and I will not be able to elaborate further on that."

Well, I see people requesting this feature for a number of years without any reaction whatsoever from Netgear..

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The timestamp is there, it's just in epoch time. Not necessarily handy but it's there.
tromlov
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat wrote:
The timestamp is there, it's just in epoch time. Not necessarily handy but it's there.

Yes, but that is not the issue here.

Please read the beginning of the thread:  Epoch is not being recognized in court - where the time stamp must be located on the video file.