Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How do I add second base station for extended range?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
TRenee72
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to add more cameras, plus have better service inside my metal shop.  I read on other questions about adding a second base station for extended range.  Can I receive instructions on how to set this up?  I have one router and my current base station is connected to it.  Will I be able to have a free standing base station as an extender inside my shop?  I am willing to upgrade to the Elite service to accomplish this as well.  Thank you in advance for answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're replying to a very old post but, yes, what you're proposing is correct. Add the second base using the Add Device button on the Devices tab and sync cameras to it (if reusing existing cameras, remove them from the first base before adding to the second).  Each base and associated cameras will need to be treated as separate systems - no linking of cameras in modes or the schedule.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TRenee72 wrote:

I would like to add more cameras, plus have better service inside my metal shop.  I read on other questions about adding a second base station for extended range.  Can I receive instructions on how to set this up?  I have one router and my current base station is connected to it.  Will I be able to have a free standing base station as an extender inside my shop?  I am willing to upgrade to the Elite service to accomplish this as well.  Thank you in advance for answers.

The extended range is the base coverage + the distance separated ( since bases have a max of 300 ft range +/- )

You must hook up the Second Base unit to a switch/router via ethernet cable... it does not have to be the same one your other base is hooked to ( but can if you have a cable run )

You will run your current account info during setup ... keep in mind if on a second  system router/switch you must be logged into that system during setup I believe.( that may only be if done by wifi )

The base is added to the current account and then sync your closest cameras to that base ( cameras can only be sync'ed to one base at a time )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TRenee72
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have created an extension network in my metal shop that has a LAN plug on the bottom (Netgear wifi range extender) so I can have a strong wifi inside my metal garage. Can I plug this second base into this extender and have one account?  I have bought the Elite package so I can have up to 15 cameras and 3 base stations. 

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello TRenee72,

It is likely that this type of installation will work. Just be sure your extended wireless network has good bandwidth and stable/strong connection to the main router or you may experience less than ideal performance!

Let's us know how well this type if installation works for you! I am sure others can benefit from hearing your feedback!

Thank you for your contribution on this topic!

Christine

Arlo Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
crypto_e92
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi ChristineT, is there a procedure on how to add a second base station to my existing systems.

I have tried to place my base station 1 in the middle of the house but it cant provide connectivity 

to my cameras in front of this house. Adding a second base station might fix this issue.

Plan to move my base station 1 at the back of the house and the new base station 2 will go in front of

the house. My house has been cabled with cat5 from my home router to switch then to various location

in the house.

Let me know if this is possible and if it is provide procedure how to accomplish this.

thanks, Anthony

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're replying to a very old post but, yes, what you're proposing is correct. Add the second base using the Add Device button on the Devices tab and sync cameras to it (if reusing existing cameras, remove them from the first base before adding to the second).  Each base and associated cameras will need to be treated as separate systems - no linking of cameras in modes or the schedule.