Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How Do The Arlo Cameras Connect To Wifi?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Guide
Guide

Hi

If I am getting a low signal strength on the Wifi icon on my individual Arlo cameras, do I need to reposition the Arlo Base Station or the Wifi Router?

It is not clear to me what signal the cameras utilize.

Also not clear to me if a Wifi extender would provide me any benefit.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The cameras only connect to the base - your home WiFi has no bearing. Repositioning the base may be useful, perhaps only a few inches/feet, so the signal is adequate for all cameras.  A WiFi or powerline extender may be useful so you can plug the base into that device for that centralized location to help all cameras get a good signal.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The cameras only connect to the base - your home WiFi has no bearing. Repositioning the base may be useful, perhaps only a few inches/feet, so the signal is adequate for all cameras.  A WiFi or powerline extender may be useful so you can plug the base into that device for that centralized location to help all cameras get a good signal.

Guide
Guide

Thanks for the tips.

Is the camera's connection performance impacted whether there is 3 beam signal strength vs 1 beam signal strength?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Potentially, yes. I've had 1 bar and not had issues but that's a pretty gross measure (only a few bars to measure the whole range of strength). A weak signal could produce weird issues as well as battery drain.