Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
gokturk
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I want to change visible SSID as hidden one. I want this because of the security issues. There should be an option to change it visible one to hidden one on the settings page.

Let me know if there is any possiblity to change it. If it is not possible for now, then put this setting option in the next firmware please.

Thank you,

Neka

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

gokturk wrote:

I want to change visible SSID as hidden one. I want this because of the security issues. There should be an option to change it visible one to hidden one on the settings page.

Let me know if there is any possiblity to change it. If it is not possible for now, then put this setting option in the next firmware please.

There is NO access into the Arlo base , so you can not change the SSID...

Best is to check if it's been requested before and add it or add kudos if so  ...here; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

gokturk wrote:

There is NO access into the Arlo base , so you can not change the SSID...

Best is to check if it's been requested before and add it or add kudos if so  ...here; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

gokturk
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the information TomMac.

I will communicate with the right person.

tinokremer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are you aware a "Hidden" SSID just means it does not have a name? It's still broadcasting and easily detectable with simple WiFi apps you can download on your phone?

gokturk
Tutor
Tutor

Absolutely so "tinokremer" .

We don't need to broadcast our SSID.Cameras and the base can communicate with each other over a hidden SSID too.

tinokremer
Apprentice
Apprentice

My point is, if you would have the network "hidden", it would still be visible to anyone. It's just not in the list of your laptop / phone by default. Do you have an android phone? Get this app and see for yourself, you see "hidden" network in this list: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

gokturk
Tutor
Tutor

I want to hide the SSID because of this. I can see the SSID outside.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No sense to argue about it guys... at this time it's a mute point as there is NO access to the Arlo base

If you want change, it's by kudo's in the wish area.... more kudos , more likely to happen in future

Dbarlouser
Initiate
Initiate
Bottom line, having a device connected to my network exposed to the world is a concearn. Would like Arlo to lock this down.