Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
aperalta0101
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anyone had any issues with the cameras sensing motion but there is nothing there at all? My Arlo cameras do every single day and I have my cameras with rules to trigger the other cameras therefore I end up having a bunch of useless recordings. Netgear is there any fix for this annoying issue?

16 REPLIES 16
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

aperalta0101,

It sounds like the cameras may be too sensitive for the location they are in. Try lowering the sensitivity for the affected cameras to see if you get better results.

To adjust camera sensitivity, see here: How do I change the motion sensitivity on my Arlo cameras?

JamesC

treaty
Tutor
Tutor

I started having an issue that sounds just like this today.  I have two cameras that have been up for about a week.  Just yesterday, I started getting false motion detection on my front door camera, like every 10 to 15 minutes all night long.  Notification would go off and the camera would record, but there was no one/thing captured in the video.  Super annoying.  I have two cameras, so I turned that camera off and replaced it with the second camera (that was on the side door) to see if it was just that particular camera.  So far the second camera has been up on the front door for about an hour now... and no false alarms yet.  I'm going to reset the first camera and see if it continues to have problems....

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Sometimes I have it trigger and record and wonder what it was and then see that a spider has crawled across it or a branch on a tree has waved. This morning I had a bird flapping about in front of the camera. But the majority of the time, if it's something like this, it won't get captured due to the lag between the motion sensing and the recording starting

treaty
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the info steve_t, but after switching cameras, the second camera is now trigering about 5 times an hour for seemingly no reason.  I dont think it's a spider birds or squirls though, because it's getting set off all night long, throughout the night.

There does defineatly seem to be SOMETHING about the place I've got it positioned though that is causing it to trigger.  Here is an example video:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/8A8B49DB281536AE_201612

Can anyone identify what the problem might be here or reccomed how I can position this camera differently so it stops it's false motion trigers?

Jaz86
Aspirant
Aspirant

My front door camera does the same thing.  I have bumped the sensitivity from 100 to 80 to 75 and now down to 50 and I am still getting the notifications but nothing is on the camera.  I do know that sometimes it picks up cars driving by but most of the time it isn't picking anything up that I can see.  It almost seems to trigger when the wind blows as it happens more frequently on windy days.  I am hoping that I will find a setting that will be more accurate because I hate getting notifications all day long for no reason.

treaty
Tutor
Tutor

So I've determined it's not a problem with the cameras themselves, but with the placement of them only.  I moved my front door camera about 4 feet from where it was, and now it's working as expected.  

It was mounted outside on a ball mount hanging from the eve of my roof above the kitchen window.  I pulled it off the mount and set it on the window ledge itself, but still pointed at the front door.  I only moved it about 4 feet.  Since I did that, I've stopped getting false alarms.  

For the life of me I cant figure out why this made a difference.  I'll be playing around with different positions over the next few days to see if I can figure it out.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
False positives could be IR reflections from something outside. Hard to say without seeing the physical location.
tomliver57
Tutor
Tutor
My one is picling up the refetion from the head lights on my cars body
tomliver57
Tutor
Tutor
Driving me nuts
JEngr
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the system installed for 2 days.  One camera fires off a series of 3-5 false positive motion sensing alerts every few hours when it's dark outside.  If I go into 'Live' mode with that camera, that also triggers a series of false-positive motion alerts.

The camera is pointed at the front door, with no possibility of pets causing the alert.  

Any advice appreciated.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

JEngr wrote:

I have had the system installed for 2 days.  One camera fires off a series of 3-5 false positive motion sensing alerts every few hours when it's dark outside.  If I go into 'Live' mode with that camera, that also triggers a series of false-positive motion alerts.

The camera is pointed at the front door, with no possibility of pets causing the alert.  

Any advice appreciated.

I had exactly this issue that was solved by opening a case and getting new cameras.  I'd suggest swapping the system at the store since it's new.

Joat23
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased the Arlo kit due to recent vandalism of my home. This means they are mounted outside to watch the drveway and front door approaches.  I get constant false alarms during the day, ranging to 400-500 per day (virtually none when the sun goes down). I have had the sensitiviites set from 100% down to 10%, and there is little change in the false alarm rates. I could perhaps live with that, except that when i drive up into my drveway, the system does not usually note my presence, either the car itself, or when I get out of the car.  It only catches actual activity about 20% of the time. The issue is worse on sunny or partly sunny days, and when it is windy. I have moved the cameras to differnt locations, and provided different angles to the approach areas, but little seems to work. How do I both reduce the false alalrm, but also have cameras that will capture when sometihg actually enters the field of view?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Post screenshots of the camera views. That may help us make suggestions.
tomliver57
Tutor
Tutor
Yer it was head lights from passing cars reflectding on my cars body work
tomliver57
Tutor
Tutor
Still trying to sort it out
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That would only be true if those headlights had a bunch of IR in them. I have no idea how much IR a typical headlight emits but I don't get them activating my cameras. The car itself what with a nicely warm engine will cause triggering.