Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Shiloh
Star
Star

when geofencing activates when I leave or return it deletes my recording length on my 4 cameras from 60 seconds to 10 seconds.  Anyone else have this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shiloh
Star
Star

Thanks for your help.  Geofencing is working now

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Shiloh wrote:

when geofencing activates when I leave or return it deletes my recording length on my 4 cameras from 60 seconds to 10 seconds.  Anyone else have this problem?

Are you using the default Armed mode? If so, try creating a new (custom) mode and new rules in it. Does that change anything?

Shiloh
Star
Star

I didn't know I could set recording length using armed mode so I went into armed mode and set recording lengths. Thanks for that info. But when I activated geofencing mode it didn't work.  I tested it by walking outside where my various cameras are and neither camera detected motion and then I got in my car and drove down the block and geofencing didn't detect that I had left nor that I had returned.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Shiloh,

Check your Home and Away modes for Geofencing to make sure you have the correct modes set. Log in to your Arlo account and navigate to Mode > select the desired device > click the pencil icon next to Geofencing > Check Home/Away modes.

JamesC

Shiloh
Star
Star

I did as you suggested. My home and away modes are still set

Shiloh
Star
Star

UPDATE:  I turned on geofencing and got notification on my cell that geofencing is now home.  I left the house but didn't receive notification that geofencing was away.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Shiloh,

Was the app open when you left or did you log out? The app must be running in order for the location to update.

JamesC

Shiloh
Star
Star

Thanks for your help.  Geofencing is working now

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
JamesC,

Does the main user (me) and the one friend (wife in my case) or perhaps both of us have to have the iOS app open (and running in the background) for geofencing to work?

Also, how do the conditions work for the geofencing mode presets? For example:

1) User (me) home, but friend (wife) away.
2) User (me) away, but friend (wife) home.
3) Both home.
4) Both away.

It doesn't appear that these are conditions you can set (at least yet in the beta), so I wonder what the pre-sets are.

Given that the above 4 conditions above could lead to different mode preferences (eg, mode where more cameras record with perhaps greater motion sensitivity and with longer record times when I'm away and my wife is home, but they turn off or down to a different mode or schedule when I'm home and my wife is home, etc.)
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MichaelRogers,

The app needs to be running in the background on each device for geofencing to update the devices location.

The Home and Away conditions are met on a first in last out basis. So for example,when the last device leaves the Geofencing radius, that is when the away mode will trigger. The first device to enter the radius is when the home mode will trigger.

For more information, take a look at this article regarding Geofencing with multiple devices: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

JamesC