Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JONNYBURNOUT
Tutor
Tutor

I have sevral cameras. Both on a hub and some on wifi.  When I leave my house the geofencing doesn't come on and awitch the settings. 

If I open the app. It does it right away. When I come home at always works and disarms the system. 

I've had Arlo for like 7 years.  It always worked fine unitll this summer.  I never changed anything. 

It's set to always allow location. I have the gerofenching enable notification on my screen the ap is set to always run in the back ground.  And the geofenching is set to only use this device. I've tried erasimg amd re installing the app. I'm sure a samasung s10 note. 

Please help. 

5 REPLIES 5
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Have you tried plugging your mobile into the charger before your leave the zone?

Also the app background mode automatically logs out after 2weeks and so geofencing stops working along with status push notifications. Set a phone reminder to logout the app before the session expires and login again to extend the session for another 2weeks. Just opening and closing the app will not extend the background session.

JONNYBURNOUT
Tutor
Tutor

Plugging it in can't make a diffrence. What if I leave my house with out a way of plugging it in?  Like walking or on a bike?

I re set all app running in the background stuff and left and it still didn't work. 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The suggestion to place the mobile on charge helps to identify if the background arlo app is reporting the geofencing change to the arlo server and on passing to the camera or base station.

I need to do this to my mobile and partner’s mobile to have geofencing work correctly. Most users plug the phone into their car’s phone holder when leaving home.

If I go for a walk I need to remember to change the mode manually.

If the workaround does not work for you then it’s something else.

JONNYBURNOUT
Tutor
Tutor

I will try that tomorrow. But if that's the case it doesn't really fix the problem. 

Why would have it started to need me to do that starting this summer aftet probably 7 years of working fine?

I'm really invested in arlo. I have 18 camers on my property. If there isn't a better solution to this issue I'm pretty screwed.  I'm not gonna keep a system I have to log into the app to enable geofencing.  That is the point of geofenching. If I have to log in I can just arm the system manually. 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Did you update the app about the same time as the geofencing issue began. If you updated to the new arlo app experiment this my point to a bug in the app.

You could always try deleting and reinstalling the app again, restart the base station and cameras to see if it improves.

I cannot say I have had any luck getting geofencing to reliably work over the years except for the first six months back in 2018.

It has only been in the last six months that I have had it working given the workarounds.