Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Price hike on top of EOL?? Who are they kidding?

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

OMG I can’t believe this company, first they tell me my cameras are EOL under the ruse that they want all those 7 day subscriptions gone, now they tell me my price of the plan I have had for years is going to cost more?

are they just asking to go out of business?

thank god I don’t own stock in this company….

15 REPLIES 15
Kevinintx
Star
Star

Not for me!

Review Cancellation Summary

Plan you are canceling

Arlo Smart Premier Single Camera

Doorbell

Service will end at the end of the current billing period and will not be renewed.

You will have access to your cloud recordings and plan features until January 15, 2023.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The team is working on releasing annual plans that will allow users to subscribe to Arlo Secure plans at no cost increase. More information to come on these plans that should be available starting February 3rd. You can read more here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlosecure.html

JamesC

Film
Apprentice
Apprentice

Curious if you can shed some light on this then.  I have 15 devices and have subscribed to the Arlo Smart plan for several years and received the following email changing my plan price from the current $149.00/yr + tax to $179.88/yr.  Of my 15 cameras, 14 are EOL and I did not receive any kind of loyalty discount code or anything that I have seen reported elsewhere to incentivize existing loyal customers to upgrade to newer equipment.  So the message I am getting thus far is that my annual subscription cost is increasing by 20% ish and all my equipment sans my doorbell are EOL thus requiring a significant investment in 14 new cameras.  Would you say that is accurate or am I missing something?

Hi *****,

Arlo continues to bring new features and innovation to our security solutions including the rollout of Arlo Secure App 4.0, and we have a lot more planned in the near future. These investments and increasing costs across the industry mean we are making several changes to our service plans.

Your Arlo Smart Elite Multi Cam service will change to $179.88 starting on February 3, 2023.* 

Thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Film,

The Arlo Smart Elite Multi Cam plan is a legacy plan that you've been grandfathered into. On February 3rd, you can swap to one of the new annual plans for the rates listed here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlosecure.html

JamesC

Film
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks.  I saw that.  I think the point was that the earlier statement that existing customers are being migrated into "plans at no cost increase" is obviously not true for all customers since I am being migrated into a plan that is 20% more expensive.

Film
Apprentice
Apprentice

I dug into this a little more and I think one of the problems is that the messages are inconsistent (maybe the upgrade options in the app/website are the "old" plans and don't reflect the upcoming changes in Feb?).  In reading the link you sent it appears I can switch into a Secure plan and actually improve my pricing, but when I try to do that through the app or the website it shows a 10 camera limit for all but the most expensive plan which would actually cost me $216/yr which is an even larger increase (roughly 45%) over what I am paying now with my 15 camera/doorbell plan (image of what I am seeing attached).  Can you confirm that I will be able to enroll in a regular Arlo Secure plan at $9.99 mo (when paid annually) with 14 cameras and a doorbell cam?  If so that will actually save me money since I don't need any of the additional features on the other plans (bottom screenshot below).

Thanks!

Screenshot of Arlo Website Update Plan Page.JPG

Capture.JPG

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Film,

The annual service plans linked on the arlo.com page will not be available until February 3rd. You will be able to select one of the new plan options within your account on that date. The 9.99 Arlo Secure plan, includes all of the features listed on the website under the "Secure" column.

JamesC

Film
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks, JamesC...that's actually a bit of good news then.  I'll wait until 2/3 and then switch my plan over.  I can apply some of the savings toward upgrading my 14 EOL devices..  😛

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

I changed to the secure plan from the legacy plan they were both 9.99 a month

i got an email saying it will increase to 12.99. My assumption is the secure plan now at 9.99 will be 12.99 a month at the date specified in the email.

I could be wrong as I don’t know if the email applied to legacy or secure plan, but the idea of me even having to click a button to change a plan that’s the same is suspect.

this all reeks of a hidden motive to get rid of the free accounts and I assume up the cost. I get costs go up with inflation it’s just that sending this out at the same time they made every single free seven day plan obsolete (this I think has been extended to a year now due to backlash) is just bad form all over.

if they said something silly like “I’m sorry we’re about to go bankrupt we can’t afford to offer free storage anymore and need to raise prices a little bit” I think that stupid statement would have been more well received than a lot of hidden motives behind deceptive words

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AshTray900,

The monthly rate for the Arlo Secure (unlimited cam) plan will move to 12.99 per month (when paid on a monthly recurring basis). On February 3rd, new annual options will be made available, the Arlo Secure plan when paid annually, will equate to 9.99 per month.

You can read more about this here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlosecure.html

JamesC

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

I understand this but what that’s saying is if I switch to a yearly subscription I get no cost savings like I would have in the past.

just stop

we all know what’s going on, people who set up their own camera systems are not idiots like the people who walk into the cellular store making the employee transfer everything over for them

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

My apologies, i'm only trying to clarify what is understandably a difficult discussion. We did not previously offer annual plans for Arlo Secure subscriptions, so in some cases, like the one mentioned by @Film above, these changes may be beneficial for some users depending on the plans they have currently and how they pay for them (monthly/annually).

JamesC

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Fair enough.

just from one persons opinion, even if I was a free member that was eventually going to have to pay:

I would support a company that made its policies clear and stated why it was needed to where I understood that it was a situation where my money would keep Arlo services available as I think the products are good, and yes that would include if I was a free member and I knew paying would be needed to support Arlo and keep it going.

a need for assistance is always better than a slap in the face with deliberately deceptive emails

redwood66
Aspirant
Aspirant

James will the emailed 75% off code work for the annual subscription? And will access to recordings in the app still work for my EOL cameras if we subscribe again? We have a local storage drive but want access in the app as well to avoid removing drive to view videos. Thank you for responding. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

redwood66,

Annual subscriptions are not available at this time, I don't have the answer to this at the moment. While some features may be limited as outlined in the EoL policy, an active Arlo Secure subscription should allow for cloud recordings to continue.

JamesC