Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 17 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
MartinTruman
Guide
Guide

Hi,

I'm using geofencing mode but every time I leave the house I get the following message "Internet connection is lost. Geofencing in Arlo is unavailable at the moment".

This happens every time - I doubt the internet connection is lost every time I leave the house - it works fine.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @MartinTruman,

What phone device are you using? Do you have battery saving running on your phone? If so, make sure to allow the Arlo app to bypass the setting.

MartinTruman
Guide
Guide

Hi. I am using an iPhone 8 and I am NOT using battery saving.

I did have a chat session where the operator told me to delete and reinstall the App etc. which I did but no change.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Could you show a screenshot when you get the message showing the internet connection is lost? Does this appear as a rich notification or through the app?

markjericho
Star
Star

I am having the same problem which has been happening for couple months now. I have an open ticket with Support. I use an iPhone XR. I have found a workaround that seems to help. I normally keep Background Refresh off on my iPhone but decided to try turning it on one day just for Arlo. When I did that, the geofencing seems to work most of the time. When I turn it off again, I get the same error messages you are seeing. In the past, I never needed to keep Background Refresh on so I hope they fix this soon. I don't have much hope since I reported this in early January and it's almost been two months with no progress.

MartinTruman
Guide
Guide
Screen shot attached thanks Jessica
MartinTruman
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the info - I will try that and see if it works. Cheers.
Soupcups
Tutor
Tutor
So what was the answer? I have that happen everyone I leave the house it seems.
MartinTruman
Guide
Guide
I turned off location in/out notifications in iPhone settings
Geofencing still works
HumanSkunk
Initiate
Initiate

I am 'suffering' this issue daily, it has been since i upgraded my iPhone to the iOS13 beta. It is preventing the geofencing from switching states, leaving my system unarmed until i log into the app on the iphone. I am unsure what the cause is. This weekend i completely reset both the Hub and the App, disconnected all cameras, un-installed the application on the phone and signed out of all devices.

The Internet connection error isn't instant and always occurs about 30+ minutes after i left home. As soon as i log back into the application it switches modes instantly.

Before resetting the application i turned on the notification to let me know when the device leaves the zone. This worked as expected and i would receive the notification without issue. What seems to be the issue is the application on the iphone cant seem to get a data connection when i am on anything but my local wifi that the Arlo itself sits on in the background. The Settings in the application within settings has both background application refresh and mobile data enabled. But this doesnt seem to make a blind bit of difference.

As the post above says that turning off notifications helps, but for me that isn't the case. If I log into my Arlo from my iPad (away from home and after the "Internet Connection is Lost" error) then my geofencing status is still set to disarmed.

Unsure if this is a compatibility issue with the iOS13 or just a problem with the application where it just refuses to play nice with mobile networks in the background. Googleing provides lots of similar posts but no resolution. I am considering ditching Arlo for something more reliable moving forward if the issue persists after the formal public release of iOS13.

HumanSkunk
Initiate
Initiate

I am having issues with geofencing not working and the application complaining that it doesnt have access to an internet connection. Soon as i open the app the mode switches to the correct armed or disarmed depending on whether i am in or out of the geofencing zone.

This was never an issue prior to the iOS13 beta. It worked flawlessly before.

Yesterday i reset the application and reset the hub and cameras and set it all up as a brandnew system, and the connection issue still remains.

If this continues to be an issue after the public release of ios13 I will consider offloading the cameras for an alternative solution. Security cameras need to work without worry on whether they are armed or not. I am aware that issues may occur when running beta versions of software. Unsure if i am an only case of this or its more widespread and not reported.