Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
onobo
Follower
Follower

My iPhone had some problem and the Apple Store made me restore as a new phone so everything was gone.  

My GF used to work fairly well but now upon trying to set it up again, my iPhone is enabled in GF but it's listed as "unavailable".  Location services is on and I have everything enabled in Settings:Arlo.  Location there is 'always'.  

I've read some posts that said to disable the phone, save then re-enable but that doen't change anything.

Thanks,

bo

21 REPLIES 21
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

onobo,

Consider reinstalling the Arlo mobile app. Be sure Arlo has the appropriate permission enabled (location) and try again. Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

jalfano
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem with the app not recognizing my phone for geofencing. It's listed as "unavailable." It has all the right permissions enabled. I tried deleting and reinstallling the app. This doesn't work. The feature clearly has a bug. Please fix. I need to use this feature

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jalfano,

Consider disabling your devices under the enabled list in your Geofencing settings, save, and then enable the devices again.

Do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

SFEERO
Initiate
Initiate

I am having this same exact problem with my wife's new phone.  The new phone shows "unavailable".  I have reinstalled the app, enabled/disabled location settings, deleted her as a user and resubmitted her as an authorized user, and nothing is working.  What is the fix for this.  We are on the same wifi network.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

SFEERO,

Try disabling all devices within your enabled devices list in geofencing settings, save, and then enable all devices again. Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

SFEERO
Initiate
Initiate

Same behavior.  No change.  Is there a customer service agent that I can speak to on the phone to get this issue resolved?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

jecampo
Tutor
Tutor

I don't know if this will help you but I believe I know what is happening. Assume Home == Away and Away == Home and set your Arlo system that way. I believe that when updating the iphone application Arlo may have inverted the Home and Away titles, it is working for me after I set the Home setting as Away and the Away seting as home.   In summary the titles Home and Away are wrong, in my case (I also have and iphone 😎 the geofencing is working but the lables are wrong. 

DJCummins99
Star
Star

An interesting twist. Reversing the labels works for my iPhone 6S, but not on my wife's iPhone 6 plus. Putting the labels back to mean what they say works properly on her phone, not mine.  Also, the labels were fine on my iPhone back in July and on until just a week or two ago. This is a very recent problem for me, even though my phone is the same, and the only difference is an upgrade to iOS 11.1.2.  

Sandham
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the exact same problem, but none of the fixes works. Any other suggestions how to solve this problem?
Mjmfla
Guide
Guide

I had to rename each of the iPhones in iPhone settings.  That seemed to be the trick.

Thelexdriver
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have an iPhone 8+ and I switched the options as you mentioned... (Home Mode = Armed) (Away Mode = Disarmed) and it worked! Thank you!
Motionist
Guide
Guide
I have a similar problem but the issue is that my phone (Samsung S7 Edge) works properly and my wifes phone (Iphone 6 SE does not. It is always listed as Away.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Motionist,

Are there any special characters in the device name for your wife's phone? (JamesC's Iphone) If so, remove the special characters and see if you still experience the same behavior.

You might also try refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Log in to your Arlo Account (the primary) and navigate to Mode > select your Arlo system > edit Geofencing > click "Enabled devices". Toggle all of the listed devices off and save. After you have finished saving, navigate back to "Enabled devices" and toggle all desired devices back on and save.

JamesC

brandon30
Aspirant
Aspirant
Recently I had to upgrade my phone to a Pixel 2 XL, on the previous phone I had no issues. Since I got the Pixel 2, the Geofencing on Arlo doesn't recognize automatically when I'm in and out of the zone, if I click on armed, disarmed or schedule and then click over to Geofencing it will find my location at that point. It is setup as away - armed, home - scheduled. Enabled device is my phone and it has a name of Brandon2XL. Any insight on how to fix this would be helpful.
consensus2
Guide
Guide

Same issue here, occured recently - I assume after the latest app update. We have two iPhones tied to geofencing. They are constantly not refreshing their positions, being either ”unavailable” or wrongly out- or inside the geofencing zone. One has to manually disable/reenable the unit in the geofencing settings before it refreshes its position. Once refreshed, the app behaves correctly and disarms/arms cameras according to our settings.

It’s like there’s a bug in the app, or something is not aligned with the latest IOS update, that hinders the app to poll the unit’s gps-position. The Arlo app has the maximum credentials to access position data in each phone, so no issue there. It also worked perfectly until recently.

My five cents on this subject is that you Netgear guys have a bug to fix!

Snn5
Apprentice
Apprentice
Not completely or entirely sure why us Android users have to keep reminding Netgear that Android's phone names cannot be changed. The names are set by the manufacturer and cannot be edited like iPhones.
DW2k
Initiate
Initiate
FYI same issue here. Was working fine for long time then one phone said unavailable and could fix until I renamed the phone.
Magpieally
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes you can it's under Bluetooth settings.
kevinthien
Aspirant
Aspirant

my goodness, to do somehting so simple, netgear makes it so complicated. how on gods green earth do i rename the phone?

Htill
Initiate
Initiate

Kept getting “Unavailable” on my Georeference setting.  The georeference mode would not recognize my IPhone 6 or my wife’s IPhone.  I tried everything recommended above and what worked was when I renamed my and my wife’s phone.  I changed, “H’s Phone” to “H” and did the same with my wife’s phone and it now works.  

To to change the name of your IPhone:

1.  Open “Settings”.

2.  Open “General”.

3.  Open “About”.

4.  Open “Name”.

5.  Erase whatever is there and rename your phone to anything using just letters.  Do not use any punctuation like an apostrophe or hyphen.

To the Arlo Techs......Please fix this.