Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing Battery Drain

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am running some tests as I am seeing high battery drain with Geofencing.

If anyone is able to test with Ultra that would be great.

I see almost no battery drain from Arlo with Geofencing off.

With Geofencing on I have seen Arlo using more than 70% of battery. An example from this morning is attached.

LG G6 on 8.0.0 VMB3000 + Arlo/Pro Cameras + App 2.7.9_25600
8 REPLIES 8
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

I ran without Geofencing for 24 hours and the Arlo app is not even listed in App Usage - no battery drain.  Below is with Geofencing Activated.  Horrific battery drain.  I will run more tests.  Please add to this thread if you are seeing this problem or have ideas to mitigate.

There are plenty of apps that manage location updates without draining the battery.  It can be done.

Screenshot_2019-05-05-11-37-17.png

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC in another post you recommended excluding the Arlo App from Battery Optimisations. Is this the official recommendation today ?

Geofencing struggles to stay updated even when excluded.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
Noting that the observed battery drain occurs without opening the app. Not viewing videos. It appears to be Geofencing only.

Anyone else seeing similar drain from Geofencing ?
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC has this been solved ?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

There have been many improvements to Geofencing and overall improvements to both apps in recent weeks. Are you still experiencing an issue with battery drain?

JamesC

Jopand
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. If it was possible, I would return my horrible Arlo system. Bought it 1½ years ago and the cameras have always been good, but the App is CRAP... Really Awful. Either geofencing is buggy to say the least; or Arlo is eating up half of my battery. 

Hire some skilled developers, because so many other apps handle geofencing easily without the drain

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC 

Without Geofencing - no battery drain.  With Geofencing the Arlo app uses more battery than any other app on the phone.

I developed my own Geofencing solution using Tasker that has almost no battery drain.  It can be done if you know what you are doing.

I would highly recommend that Arlo implement the WiFi SSID solution for Geofencing  (if you are on your home wifi you are home).   This was suggested years ago.  It is much more reliable and uses almost no battery.

Why is it that Arlo do not listen to their customers.......

Retired_Member
Not applicable
Is there any solution? I have the latest app and the battery drain with geofencing stills hanppend