Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
dcbmoose
Guide
Guide

I get a message telling me to update base station firmware. I can't see the cameras because they are blacked out with the message. I push "Update" and get a message that there was an update failure. I cannot get the update to work and I can't see my cameras.

20 REPLIES 20
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Did you try restarting it? Is your internet connection definitely good?

dcbmoose
Guide
Guide

I was online with chat for over an hour and they finally told me to wait to see if it cleared up overnight. It did not. I have reset everything, put in new batteries, synched, and followed all instructions from chat. This morning it is still not able to update firmware and I cannot see the wireless cameras due to the message to update the base station, which does not work.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Bugger. I guess you should contact support and see if you can get an RMA.

Since it's the base station that won't update its firmware, a battery pull of the cameras wouldn't be expected to do anything but I guess you might as well try everything. If power cycling and using the reset button on the base station hasn't worked, I can't think of what else would. Hope you get it sorted quickly

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I just saw in another thread that someone else is having the same issue and it's probably due to their internet connection being too slow. What speeds are you getting via www.speedtest.net ?

dcbmoose
Guide
Guide

Apparently my connection is below the minimum. Don't know what to do about that since there is only one provider in this rural area.

catz369
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi I'm having the same problems since yesterday as well.I still cant update and I just did a speed test as well mine speed is slow as well.I hope this can be fixed sooner than later.

I just tried again and got this error  Upgrade failed - File failed to download. Please try again

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The speed issue is only fixable via the ISP. It's not specifically a Netgear problem.

catz369
Aspirant
Aspirant

Really nothing I can do about the ISP as they are the only one Im willing to use until they upgrade their cables. anyhow just tryed to update again and here is another error.keeps showing up on camera screen. this time I did not get a download failed.

A firmware update is required for your base station and camera.
Let’s start with the base station.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Can you take your base station to a friend's house or to work or somewhere else with a faster internet connection and ethernet port?

BrandonH
Initiate
Initiate

How is this an Issue Netgear! Hardware providers have been pushing out firmware over slow internet connections for a VERY long time!!! You can't use "a slow internet connection" as an excuse.... I wouldn't be so peved if I could at least see the "live" screen rather than a bunch of text over it telling me a firmware update is available or failed!

BrandonH
Initiate
Initiate

UPDATE:

I got onto Live Assistance. I went through the ususal stuff (powering off the base station etc). ended up powering down my router which is connected to an average ADSL2 connection.. This luckly for me got my base station talking with enough speed to do the firmware update.

So if I was you, Ensure the base station is plugged into your main router in your house, unplug the power from the router, wait 5seconds. Plug it back in. Wait to get back onto the internet then go to the Arlo settings page and initiate a firmware update. Hold your tounge to the left and cross your fingers!!!

Cheers

Brandon.

dcbmoose
Guide
Guide

Packed everything up and went to visit a friend in another town. Faster connection so finally got update. However, I am away from home and now have no security cameras at home because of the update. Seems to me that Netgear needs to find a solution to this issue. I didn't get a security camera system that I have to take with me when I travel. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
What are your Internet speeds as measured by speedtest.net? The published minimum is 1Mbs for the upload speed.
dcbmoose
Guide
Guide

At best I was just slightly above 1mbps. Too slow for the update though. Not smart for Netgear to roll out an update over a holiday weekend when people may be away an counting on their security system. Especially an upgrade which disarms the cameras and makes the system pretty useless. What idiot thought this was a good idea?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Minimum of 1Mbps upload is bad news for ADSL connected people that aren't close to their exchange!

catz369
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well I have had it with netgear this is so usless you cant do this to people who have slower speeds I have never had a problem downloading something before .My arlo is going back and I will not buy from netgear ever again.

jsm174
Guide
Guide

IMHO, this is really an issue that could be resolved in a future firmware update.

The download of the firmware file by the basestation probably has a timeout issue. Assuming it's a big file, on a slow connection, it just takes longer and ultimately times out. 

I've been tethering my basestation to my iMac and tethering my iMac to my iPhone for the updates. Yes it is a pain, but it works everytime.

BTW, I'm on tremendously slow Verizon DSL ~1.1 Mb down so I knew what I was getting into with a cloud camera solution.

To be completely honest, the Pro's work surprising well on a slow connection. I can view live with a little stuttering, etc.. 

zammit
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same trouble and could not update any firmware for the base station. After reading through the blogs I discovered that many people were stating that it was the speed of the download affecting the update. What I actually did was remove the base station and cameras and start the setup again. The setup I did was slightly different than recommended. First I connected the base station without connecting any cameras. I finished the setup after I connected the base station without connecting the cameras. Again it told me that I needed to update the base station. It was at this point I clicked on update and allowed the update (surprisingly). Then I connected the first camera. To my surprise, the actual individual camera also needed an update. I clicked on the update for the first camera. The camera updated. Then I connected the second camera and clicked on update. So basically I connected each camera individually and updated the camera before connecting the next camera. The only issue I can see with this is that if you are on a long holiday and it needed an update, you would be unable to update as you need to be physically at the location to do so.

madbull
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same basestation firmware update failed problem but have 7Mbps internet speed.  I turned the camera off in settings then retried the base station update and it worked.  I then turned the camera back on and it updated as well.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yeah, sometimes you just have to hot it between the eyes with a 2x4 to get its attention...