Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Rggilb
Tutor
Tutor

I have all other cameras updated to what I think is newest version of firmware  1.2.21616 but one camera not taking newest. Still has 1.2.16720.

Tried to open/ close battery door, changed batteries, removed and reinstalled camera and it flashes amber like it's taking update but keeps asking to update moments later. 

Camera still records video but no live feed due to it asking to update camera... confused!!  Help direct me ... 

22 REPLIES 22
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Nothing more you can do. Several others saying same thing. Its on arlos end. They will have to do the fixing
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rggilb,

It could be a signal strength issue preventing the update from completing. If the signal strength is low, the firmware update may fail. Bring the camera close to the base station (temporarily) overnight and see if that allows the firmware update to complete.

JamesC

Rggilb
Tutor
Tutor

No problem with upload and download speeds but thought of that just in case and still will not except updated firmware. It blinks amber and blue like it's taking but always goes back to asking update required for firmware.. 

Very troubling .... any suggestions? 

Think rebooting base might help? Didn't do that due to all other cameras updated with out any problems.  

ohiocamguy
Star
Star

I had to delete one of my cameras from the My Arlo web page.  After I re-synced the camera and it showed up on the My Arlo page almost immediately the web page informed me the camera needed a firmware update and asked if I wanted to proceed.  Might be worth trying to delete the camera and re-add it.  Warning - I think if you delete a camera that all the recorded video will be deleted to.  I'm not totally sure, but make sure you download any videos you need before you delete the camera.  Also it will definitely remove the camera from the Mode rules, so take note of those before you delete so that you can re-create the rules.

Rggilb
Tutor
Tutor

Tried that as well, but only came back with it asking for firmware update. Odd that camera has always recorded video and still does, but keeps showing update firmware and just can't live feed until I do update. Odd... Help!!! 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rggilb,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. 

JamesC

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
If you have never contacted support your in for axreal treat. Hours on hold followed by somebody you cant understand asking the same questions over and over. Very rarely do you get anything accomplished
A
ohiocamguy
Star
Star

Regarding contacting tech support, the other day I discovered there is a free chat service available.  Go to the Support page, near the bottom click the green Contact Support button, on the next page scroll down to Live Chat.  My experience the other day was actually very positive.  Yes the technician asked me to do the mundane things that any Arlo owner would have already tried.  But she was rather knowledgable about the next things to test/perform to get to a resolution.  The wait for chat was only a few minutes and that was during primetime evening hours.

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Never been able to connect to chat. Little circle just goes round and round. Most if not all of the problems we are having has to do with the firmware so no sense in contacting support. Ive never had them solve anything for me. The last time i called they just denied everything. The firmware update erased my subscription and even with a receipt they would not do anything for me. This whole company is a joke. Im in need of some cameras for my backyard but instead of adding more arlos im gonna go another route with a better company. Even if they have to be wired its better than this dumpster fire
M412KY
Tutor
Tutor
If it's the same issue I've got, check the hardware revision of the camera not updating. 1 camera version H11 won't update, 4 cameras H7 updated. As far as aware these's no fix yet.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

M412KY,

Try a fresh set of batteries and (temporarily) bring the camera close (within a few feet) to the base station and let it remain there over night. Are you still experiencing an issue with the update?

JamesC

M412KY
Tutor
Tutor
Hi,
Tried that. I replaced the batteries with a fresh set as we we're going away. That's when it reported a firmware update was needed. It doesn't even flash to show firmware is being updated. Tried numerous times next to the hub. Just fails each time wuth the rejected message. Left it showing update required whilst we went away. Checked using the app while we were away and it showed offline. When we got back it was flashing orange. Again. Batteries dead. So wasted a set of batteries. Tried again with a fresh set and still no luck upgrading the firmware. Seems funny how the other four H7 cameras are ok and the H11 won't update. Back on holiday now until Monday so took the batteries out as I can't afford the waste another set. Will try again when I get back.

Cheers
Mark
M412KY
Tutor
Tutor
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo/arlo-upgrade-failed-camera-rejected-upgrade-request/m-p/161895...

I can see you've also commented on this thread with a bit more info on particular camera models.
Seems a lot of Arlo users are having this issue with the H11 version of camera only. Is it possible that the Hub has a problem sending the firmware to this version of camera?

Cheers
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I just bought h 11 and its working fine. Its my two h 8 that are draining fast and also while disarmed
M412KY
Tutor
Tutor
What firmware is it on and was it already on that version when to bought it?
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
There all on 211_59. It updated when i synch the camera. So i dont understand if there all the same firmware why 2 are draining faster than the new one. It may be a communication issue between base and camera. The battery drain seems better today but with no communication from alro and us im not sure if they did anything or not.. Both cameras the old ones lost 4% overnight again while disarmed and the new one lost nothing
M412KY
Tutor
Tutor
My Version H7 are on 1.2.21616 and the version that the H11 reports as available. Are yours the original cameras or the pro versions?
They shouldn't drain that quick unless it's constantly sensing movement or recording for long periods of time. I usually get 4 to 6 months out of a set of batteries.
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
All of mine end in 21159 so not sure whos is right. The are all arlo pro. Two h 8 and one h 11. H11 no issues. Thats the one i just bought. I have had this system a year and half. And before the may firmware fiasco all was well. 2 or 3 months they would last. Now im charging weekly or bi weekly. I did the firmware trial in may and it fixed the issue but then they have done more updates and thats when my problems started again. I even brought all cameras inside close to base and disarmed them and they still drained 4 or 5 % overnight.
M412KY
Tutor
Tutor
That's why you don't have the problem we have updating then as this is only a problem with the non pro v11 cameras.

Looks like you do have a serious issue with your pro cameras though. If disarmed there should be very minimal drain. Maybe the camera isn't switching off when movement isn't detected..
Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Gotcha . so my firmware is up to date. Sorry i must have jumped the wrong thread. My issues are battery drain not it not updating
Dugey123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have the same issue. Light blinks green and yellow firmware is updating then after I get the same error that firmware needs to be updated. Both cameras Hardware is H7. One camera updated just fine. If I leave the batteries in they too drain in day or two. The camera that works last for some time. Frustrating. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Dugey123,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link