Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Firmware update bricked my camera?! Absolutely infuriated customer

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Baberim
Star
Star

I have had Arlo for probably 3-4 years. I have 4 of the original cameras and basestation...let me just run through the issues I've had since buying.

I have had

1) Issues with streaming.

2) Constant dropped connections

3) Draining batteries in a few weeks (I have 4 cameras and just went through a 48 pack of tenergy batteries in about a month).

And now this. My cameras were going through a firmware update last night at around 3am. I noticed the flashing blue/orange lights. 2 of my camers successfully went through it looked like, but 1 of them just kind of stopped. After I openeed the app, the camera is no longer connected. Replaced the batteries again this morning and nothing. No blinking, no orange, no blue..nothing. Remove the camera from my setup and try to add it as a new device....pressing sync literally does nothing. This firmware update completely bricked one of my cameras for some odd reason and I'd imagine since I have had these cameras for 3-4 years now I will not get any sort of replacement or help from Arlo support (which has seemingly become abysmal in its on right). 

I consider myself a techy sort of person, I have all sorts of gadgets and IOT devices, and in the time I've owned these cameras I can honestly say they have been by far my worst purchasing decision I've probably ever made. 

Arlo, if my some miracle you can make this right, I'd appreciate it but at this point I'm not holding my breath. I am so beyond unhappy with the level of quality from these devices that I am at the point where I am honestly considering going to buy some nest cameras (which I should have done a long time ago) and calling this thing a wash. 

19 REPLIES 19
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Baberim,

Have you tried inserting a different set of batteries? Are you sure the batteries you're using are good?

JamesC

Baberim
Star
Star

I tried 2 different sets of new batteries actually...and none of them worked. I'm positive the batteries are good because I then tested the same batteries in my sensibo pod devices to make sure. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just an FYI, these cameras have different current draw and possibly voltage thresholds compared to other devices. A better test is to use a voltmeter which should read well above 2.75v and as high as ~3.2v,

JVar
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same thing happen to me. I did exatcly what you did and now one of my cameras does not even turn on. The update kill one of my cameras!

Itsbigad
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same thing happened to me camera now switches on but wont sync, despite factory resetting everything and two new sets of batteries.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If still experiencing issues after installing a fresh set of batteries and a factory reset, I recommend contacting the Arlo Support Team to further investigate the issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

pdpnp
Initiate
Initiate

This just happened to our cameras as well, after spending1 hour and 40 min on the phone with Arlo support I got NO WHERE!!!! All they could tell me was to take the batteries out and place them back in. I wouldn't recommend calling them as it was a total and complete waste of my time. I asked several times (about 10 minutes into the call) to be transferred to their higher level of support as taking the batteries in and out (even after the 10th time) was doing nothing. I was contineud to be told to keep doing the same thing. She finally had me disconnect both the power and ethernet cable from the base station which of course made the other 4 cameras we own go offline. When I asked her if I now needed to go open and take out those batteries her response was "yes you must have had some interruption in your power". Well of course I did, she told me to disconnect the power. After this I was told about 4 more times to take the batteries in and out. I asked again several times to be transferred which was continually met with her repeating her script on taking the batteries out. She finally placed me on a 32 minute hold to see if she could transfer my call to the Level 2 tech support and then had the audacity to tell me they would call me back in an hour! So after 1 hour and 40 minutes they literally did NOTHING to help me. I agree it may be time to purchase a different system!. Very dissapointing! 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

pdpnp,

I apologize for the poor experience. If possible, can you describe the behavior you're experiencing here on the community as we may be able to offer assistance? What Are you seeing in your Arlo account? What LED behavior do you see when reinserting the batteries?

JamesC

Kainne
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issues as everyone here. Today I lost one of my outside cameras. Kept telling me to update camera, trying to do so I have had many many issues. I have reset my modem, base station, cameras many times. They both have new batteries and I have them both sitting right next to the base station. After doing all of this I have lost both cameras from the base station. I can not get them resynced back to the base station. I am now going to look into other cameras. I have have a few issues with this camera system. This is most likely the last straw.
EaglesNest
Tutor
Tutor
I have exactly the same problem. I purchased a std 4 pack Arlo system from Best Buy and everything was going fine until one of the cameras is frozen due to “firmware update in progress - do not remove batteries”. It has been stuck on this screen for just over a week. So disappointing. This is the second camera that has malfunctioned since buying the kit from B.B. Direct. I’ve tried turning the camera on and off - nothing. Batteries are 50-60% and camera is located within 10 feet of the base station with full signal. Others cameras and system features are all fine. Previously I had a camera die and require replacement with red night vision filter locked on. I hope Arlo / Netgear can help fix his issue because I am done dumping money and batteries into the system as well as doing all the turn on/off reconnect, reboot, try again while going up and down ladders. Great concept but software/firmware is so buggy and being locked into lame range of base station is primitive. I should be able to use my whole
Home Netgear Orbi system 8,800 sq ft as the WiFi hub. - Arlo base station is weak link in chain combined with massive user maintenemace.- beginning to lose faith in wireless camera concept. Here is a screenshot of what I have been seeing for a week or so.
EaglesNest
Tutor
Tutor
Here is another screenshot of device status
EaglesNest
Tutor
Tutor
Last screenshot
JimMorose
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is the 1st time I've used a community... I just typed 3paragraphs & is gone.... just like my 2-cams on the new firmware update. apparently I am not the omnly one. I hope Arlo has folks working this.  to summarize what was in the lost text.... new cam, uploaded new firmware, everything appears connected & configured properly, but its not working. I'm cutting my time loss now at.... 3-hrs, 26-mins... I may look at this later but for now....b-bye...

AngSuro
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issues 

Station timed out 

Camera refused update

Camera offline

Base off line 

nothing that i have tried is working ...

Itsbigad
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine is still broken, getting nowhere with support absolutely shocking support. Camera still attempts to sync but never pairs with the base station. Going to try my luck with Amazon to see if they will help but not got much hope since bought them back in November. Very disappointed, had high hopes for Arlo.
pdpnp
Initiate
Initiate
I had the exact same problem! Unfortunately I also had the same customer service support experience. I asked to speak to a level 2 tech support person who told me that this is a known problem. They tried a reset which didn’t work then he gave me an RA number to return the effected device and that they will replace it. He also let me know that their engineers were working on a new update to fix this. Hope this helps.
EaglesNest
Tutor
Tutor

My system / last camera finally updated to the latest firmware after removing the batteries and reinstalling and pairing with home base.  I now have a fully functional 5 camera system with two base stations operating 100%.  

Itsbigad
Aspirant
Aspirant
My camera is still broken, went to see if I could get a refund from Amazon but then realised I bought it from the now defunct shop Maplin here in the UK 🤦‍♂️. Now got an open case with Arlo but not heard anything yet, not holding my breath as support has been terrible so far.
wup
Aspirant
Aspirant