Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Firmware update ARLO wire free

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
AntonHuber
Aspirant
Aspirant

The new firmware update seems to have turned my system into a data sucking black hole.  My ISP is HughesNet and I blew through 15 GB of data today, the majority from frequent events due to being outside working.  This has never happened before. This happened with other data using machines turned off. And while no one was home.  I live in the woods, no next door neighbors, no sneaky petes lurking around and my nearest neighbor is 600+ feet away.  Cams are set on battery conservation and to record videos of 10-15 seconds.

This can't continue without an explanation.  Next step is sending the setup back to Netgear in a box.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AntonHuber
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's 6 AM EDT and after shutting off all devices before going to bed and leaving ARLO connected and operating my data usage through the night was zero.  I still don't believe that someone may have been stealing my wifi signal considering where I live.  I understand YAGI antennas and all that but I also understand how trees can obstruct those signals.  In spite of my doubts I guess I'll have to accept that my wifi signal was being stolen.  

Thank you Sensei x 2.

Grasshopper

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How many minutes of recording is it? Post li is to representative videos so we can see what's going on. Several may be needed.

AntonHuber
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sensei, please clarify your second sentence. The first few words don't make sense.
Thanks.
AntonHuber
Aspirant
Aspirant
See below
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

15 GB is a lot of recording.....

A 10 sec clip is about 1 mb. So u had have about  15000 ten sec clips? Or 41 hrs of recording?

How is that possible ?l

Not saying something isn't wrong but maybe the math is off a little and the data was taken by another device

PS how are the batteries holding up?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat wrote:

How many minutes of recording is it? Post li is to representative videos so we can see what's going on. Several may be needed.

Sorry - supposed to be "links", not "li is".  Stupid tablet typing.  So, post links to representative videos.

AntonHuber
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am still investigatig the source of the black hole. Hope to have this cleared up by tomorrow. I'll post what I find out. I'll wait till then to post vid links. And just to be clear, there are not 15,000 vids. I know that for sure.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

wasn't being 100% serious... fiq'ed  maybe the dec point was moved... 1.5gb is possible.

Something is wrong, something else is sucking your data. Will be interseting to see what you find out.  Another user a while back used a Hotspot with an ethernet port at his cabin...said it wasn't that bad re data.

AntonHuber
Aspirant
Aspirant
In the last 24 hrs around 15-20 GB sucked up
AntonHuber
Aspirant
Aspirant
Doing a staged investigation now. I live in the woods. My Wifi has been unsecured. I have a standard Netgear N router. Nearest neighbor 600 feet obstructed by trees. It has to be something hooked up to my hughesnet modem unless by some fluke someone is tapping into my wifi....now secured
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Log Intl your router and check for connected devices and maybe how much data used by each device, if available. Poke around - maybe something will pop up.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

AntonHuber wrote:
Doing a staged investigation now. I live in the woods. My Wifi has been unsecured. I have a standard Netgear N router. Nearest neighbor 600 feet obstructed by trees. It has to be something hooked up to my hughesnet modem unless by some fluke someone is tapping into my wifi....now secured

I've acessed wifi from over a 1000ft +... all depends on if you use a gain antenna with directional properties .

AntonHuber
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's 6 AM EDT and after shutting off all devices before going to bed and leaving ARLO connected and operating my data usage through the night was zero.  I still don't believe that someone may have been stealing my wifi signal considering where I live.  I understand YAGI antennas and all that but I also understand how trees can obstruct those signals.  In spite of my doubts I guess I'll have to accept that my wifi signal was being stolen.  

Thank you Sensei x 2.

Grasshopper

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a lot of data to reach remotely in a day.... Glad to hear it's not the Arlo.

Sounds,the data usage,  like when one of my grdkids downloaded a new xbox game.... I was surprized too  🙂

AntonHuber
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, a lot of data.  However no grandkids in house.  They were in FL.  Just two adults playing Words with Friends, looking at Face Book and reading the news. Wifi secured and inaccessible to outside forces.

Flora1951
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac wrote:

AntonHuber wrote:

I've acessed wifi from over a 1000ft +... all depends on if you use a gain antenna with directional properties .