Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Firmware Update Issues Arlo VMB3000, 3010 and Arlo cameras. Video freeze/flicker.

Discussion stats
dough51
Star
Star

I have a VMB3000 (VMB3010r2 hardware) and 5 Arlo first gen cameras in my system.

Base firmware is: 1.12.2.12_774_64c24b1

Camera firmware is: 1.6.297

After recent 11/3-4/20 camera firmware update I now have a problem with all my post-update video clips in library freezing and/or flickering at around the 3-5 second point, which pretty much makes the system useless as a security system. I mentioned this in the recent community thread regarding many folks issues with base stations continually resetting after the firmware update. I received a response from Arlo moderator about the base station firmware being reverted to an earlier version to resolve the issue, however, since my issue is the video freeze I was advised to start a new thread, so this is it... can anyone else respond if they have this problem any more?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The development team has rolled back to the previous firmware version, which is 1.4.293, for the Arlo Wire-Free HD Camera. If you're not seeing this firmware version on your camera, try to reboot your Base Station or remove the batteries from your camera and re-insert it back in. You can also read more about it here: How do I update my Arlo firmware manually?

If you're still experiencing this issue on firmware version 1.4.293, please contact the Support Team so they can further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
sgiambrone91
Tutor
Tutor

Hi - I am having the same issue as you. Extremely frustrating. I tried to follow the instructions in the other thread you mentioned, but am not seeing any Firmware updates. Not sure if mine automatically reverted? I am on the same version as you posted. 

UGH is all I have to say.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi dough51 and sgiambrone91,

Is this happening on the Arlo app on your phone device and/or web client on your computer? Also let us know what phone device/computer you're using.

sgiambrone91
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Jessica,

This is happening on both the app and on a web browser. This also happens on my spouses App whom I share access with.  We have iPhone 12's running iOS 14.2.1. And a MacBook Pro using Safari running iOS Big Sur 11.0.1.

phil01
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not sure if that fits: Video Compression Adjustment 

This also happens to the Pro and Pro2 customers earlier this year and is not fixed (and will not be fixed). In the link it is mentioned that buying a "smart"-abo will fix this, but answers in the pro2-thread clarified that this will not happen.

If you can access clips before and after, you can download them and compare file size and video frame rate. Maybe you see what happens.

To a security-related company I must have trust. Due to the "updates", arlo is not a trustworthy company for me anymore.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Thanks for sharing the info, dough51 and sgiambrone91.

I've shared this to the development team and they are currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

sgiambrone91
Tutor
Tutor
Just to let you know, there is nothing Arlo can do for this. They claim the latest app update may have fixed any bugs. But it did not. They basically told me my base station is too old and I’d need to upgrade my system. Which of course means now having to pay for Arlo Smart which I don’t want hence why I bought Arlo in the first place years ago. Absolutely disgusted now.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@sgiambrone91 wrote:
Just to let you know, there is nothing Arlo can do for this. They claim the latest app update may have fixed any bugs. But it did not. They basically told me my base station is too old and I’d need to upgrade my system. Which of course means now having to pay for Arlo Smart which I don’t want hence why I bought Arlo in the first place years ago. Absolutely disgusted now.

You would not need a subscription if you just updated the base if you have the older cams still on 7 day cloud Storage. If you upgrade the cams to the newer cams (Ultra, Pro3 ect) you would but could use local storage on newer bases/hubs. 

dough51
Star
Star

That’s a nonsensical response by Arlo since my system was working just fine until “Arlo Amateurs” (supposed tech engineers) implemented the firmware update that messed the system up in the first place, therefore logic would dictate that they are either uninterested or just too incompetent to figure out and correct their own mistake. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

Agree it is an old base but they shouldn't have said replace the base unless it was just a suggestion without any help. 

Steven_Martin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Both my systems are flickering as of today. Been an ARLO member for over 3 years.

Sick of wasting time writing on these forums when these systems go wrong....so Admin, can you please post how to fix asap or supply a link.

Regards, Steve

dough51
Star
Star

Received a response today from Jessica (Arlo Moderator) about a new firmware update: 1.12.2.16_858_ad8213f, however, when I use the app to check Base Station Device Info - firmware, it indicates mine is: 1.12.2.12_774_64c24b1 currently

(as noted in my original complaint filing). The problem with this is when you check further in app "Device Info" it comes up with response "No Updates Available" instead of saying there is this new update or allowing you to actually update your base station... so what are you supposed to do next?!

dough51
Star
Star

Hi Jessica, I just posted this response hoping to get some answers, if this is supposed to fix the issue we need to be able to actually run the firmware update... can you look into this for us? (Using the Arlo app on iPhone, IOS 14.2) 

Received a response today from Jessica (Arlo Moderator) about a new firmware update: 1.12.2.16_858_ad8213f, however, when I use the app to check Base Station Device Info - firmware, it indicates mine is: 1.12.2.12_774_64c24b1 currently

(as noted in my original complaint filing). The problem with this is when you check further in app "Device Info" it comes up with response "No Updates Available" instead of saying there is this new update or allowing you to actually update your base station... so what are you supposed to do next?!

Steven_Martin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the response dough51. At least I/we know somebody is reading our forum posting.

If remarkably the problems gets fixed soon (overnight would be must appreciate) I'll reply 😉

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The development team is still investigating in the current firmware version (1.12.2.12_774_64c24b1) and will have a new firmware update version coming soon. We'll be sure to update the community when we hear any new information from the team.

Steven_Martin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Miraculously, both camera systems are now working perfectly overnight. I must admit I'm a bit shocked but extremely grateful at the same time.  Big thanks to the tech-team. You have restored my faith.

Wheelspinz
Star
Star
I have the exact same issue. The same hardware with the latest firmware and the latest iOS app. I think it may be all related as watching the videos on the website it does stop briefly/judder but then carries on. I found that if you let it play to about 15 secs and then move the slider back to about 7 secs it generally plays properly again. Not something you want to be doing all the time though.
Wheelspinz
Star
Star
I forgot to add The base has firmware 1.12.2.12_774_64c24b1 with no updates available.
Weseeyou_2
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have been having the same issues since this firmware update on November 2.  It constantly stutters, freezes, pixelates and also there's green covering the whole screen at times. We have 4 cameras and they all have this issue. It was fine until the update. We have iphones and it seems to be an issue with iOS.  The videos are completely freezing most of the time.  When I view the same video on my mac it will eventually unfreeze but the image is blurred and pixelated so it's still not completely resolved doing this. Last night we tried sharing a couple of our videos with a neighbor and the videos were somewhat able to view for a change but we were unable to send the downloaded videos through imessage. I tried to compress them hoping that would fix the non delivered problem. It appears the video dimension sizes are now larger as well as bigger in the file size. I had to send them via email and that worked at least. I believe the email converted it because once I saved that video from the sent email it would allow me to send it via imessage. It was driving us crazy because imessage always worked for sharing downloaded videos and we were trying to figure out what was wrong. Something obviously has changed with the format. We also shared using the share web portal but our neighbor wanted the downloaded video and you can't download it from the web portal. Hopefully this gets resolved because it is pretty much unusable most of the time. They've always worked well in the past so it's a disappointment.

dough51
Star
Star

Thanks for adding your input. My last response a few weeks ago from Arlo moderator was that “development team” is working on issue... I just hope that’s actually the case since the problem effectively negates the point of having this security camera system. 

Weseeyou_2
Aspirant
Aspirant

You're welcome, and I hope they are also looking into the issue because there's clearly a problem. You're right it totally defeats the purpose of having the system. I have been frustrated the last few weeks with the freezing and stuttering.  When it first started I rebooted the base station and our router. I also changed channels on the router thinking it may be interference but nothing changed. I finally decided to hunt through the forums after having yet another issue last night.

TheOldITGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unapologetic Bump

Still happening as of last nights videos, I view my videos entirely on the web interface via Microsoft Edge, Brave, Firefox makes no difference.  

I can even see this in the library view prior to running the video on the worst of them.

Capture.JPG

I installed the app on my tablet after reading several threads on here in the hopes of updating the Firmware, but the app tells me "No update available"

As with all of you, it "used to" run like a top

Base is Hardwired to the router, located in the garage, cameras hang from the garage eves just feet away.

dough51
Star
Star

Yeah, like your situation I can also see the worst ones in library view before actually playing back. Hopefully the Arlo folks are looking for the resolution and coming up with new version camera firmware or reverting to prior one that worked. 

TheOldITGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Getting info is like pulling teeth

I have many devices, computers, etc.

When there is an update to one of them Firmware or otherwise, I can usually find out what was being addressed, what was fixed etc.  

Here, no go, all a secret...

Just try to lookup what the latest Firmware revision is for your device🤔

CQTony
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem....also recorded video can not be accessed until the Arlo app is closed and then reopened after approx 5 mins