Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Urgent: Activate Two-Step Verification
Arlo requires all users to activate two-step verification by Nov 30th, 2020 to continue to access your recordings, devices, and account.
Please enable this feature now. Learn More.

Firmware Update Issues Arlo VMB3000, 3010 and Arlo cameras. Video freeze/flicker.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a VMB3000 (VMB3010r2 hardware) and 5 Arlo first gen cameras in my system.

Base firmware is: 1.12.2.12_774_64c24b1

Camera firmware is: 1.6.297

After recent 11/3-4/20 camera firmware update I now have a problem with all my post-update video clips in library freezing and/or flickering at around the 3-5 second point, which pretty much makes the system useless as a security system. I mentioned this in the recent community thread regarding many folks issues with base stations continually resetting after the firmware update. I received a response from Arlo moderator about the base station firmware being reverted to an earlier version to resolve the issue, however, since my issue is the video freeze I was advised to start a new thread, so this is it... can anyone else respond if they have this problem any more?

Model: VMB3000 | Arlo Base Station
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi - I am having the same issue as you. Extremely frustrating. I tried to follow the instructions in the other thread you mentioned, but am not seeing any Firmware updates. Not sure if mine automatically reverted? I am on the same version as you posted. 

UGH is all I have to say.

Highlighted
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi dough51 and sgiambrone91,

Is this happening on the Arlo app on your phone device and/or web client on your computer? Also let us know what phone device/computer you're using.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Jessica,

This is happening on both the app and on a web browser. This also happens on my spouses App whom I share access with.  We have iPhone 12's running iOS 14.2.1. And a MacBook Pro using Safari running iOS Big Sur 11.0.1.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not sure if that fits: Video Compression Adjustment 

This also happens to the Pro and Pro2 customers earlier this year and is not fixed (and will not be fixed). In the link it is mentioned that buying a "smart"-abo will fix this, but answers in the pro2-thread clarified that this will not happen.

If you can access clips before and after, you can download them and compare file size and video frame rate. Maybe you see what happens.

To a security-related company I must have trust. Due to the "updates", arlo is not a trustworthy company for me anymore.

Highlighted
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for sharing the info, dough51 and sgiambrone91.

I've shared this to the development team and they are currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just to let you know, there is nothing Arlo can do for this. They claim the latest app update may have fixed any bugs. But it did not. They basically told me my base station is too old and I’d need to upgrade my system. Which of course means now having to pay for Arlo Smart which I don’t want hence why I bought Arlo in the first place years ago. Absolutely disgusted now.
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

@sgiambrone91 wrote:
Just to let you know, there is nothing Arlo can do for this. They claim the latest app update may have fixed any bugs. But it did not. They basically told me my base station is too old and I’d need to upgrade my system. Which of course means now having to pay for Arlo Smart which I don’t want hence why I bought Arlo in the first place years ago. Absolutely disgusted now.

You would not need a subscription if you just updated the base if you have the older cams still on 7 day cloud Storage. If you upgrade the cams to the newer cams (Ultra, Pro3 ect) you would but could use local storage on newer bases/hubs. 

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

That’s a nonsensical response by Arlo since my system was working just fine until “Arlo Amateurs” (supposed tech engineers) implemented the firmware update that messed the system up in the first place, therefore logic would dictate that they are either uninterested or just too incompetent to figure out and correct their own mistake. 

Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Agree it is an old base but they shouldn't have said replace the base unless it was just a suggestion without any help.