Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
MarcusAurelious
Aspirant
Aspirant

What methods of external wall mounting are there available that prevent the camera (on a magnetic mount) simply being stolen, or dislodged by a missile?  

Please help, I'm trying to fend off some theives and would prefer they didn't cost me a new camera as well as everything else!! 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

MarcusAurelious wrote:

I looked at the white arlo wall mounts but thought they looked more like surface mounts?  I'd need to fix them to a vertical wall and not onto the top of a wall (or other surface)  Am I mistaken in thinking they would not be suitable?

I don't have any of any of mine mounted on a vertical wall. They are all ceiling-mounted. But they should work in a vertical mount position too.

In some orientations the large wing-nuts to fasten the ball joint come in the way of the camera though, so it might be better to get something with a low-profile fastener, like this (click image to go to Amazon product page):

Camera Mount.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are a ton of camera mounts available - Google them.  Anything that uses a 1/4-20 thread will work.  The rest is up to your imagination and comfort level.  There's also an FAQ in the Support area that deals with this.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

MarcusAurelious wrote:

What methods of external wall mounting are there available that prevent the camera (on a magnetic mount) simply being stolen, or dislodged by a missile?  

Please help, I'm trying to fend off some theives and would prefer they didn't cost me a new camera as well as everything else!! 

I got a pair of external mounts for a fraction of the cost of the white Arlo outdoor mounts from Amazon a few months ago.

Right now they cost just under $4 for a pair. They are black and look exactly the same as the Arlo mounts, but I think are of a different material, not quite as strong/thick.

MarcusAurelious
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did google and found the white Arlo mounts but from the picture I thought they looked like surface mounts?

The thread size is useful and helpful thanks.  I was hoping there'd be a secure option like anti-theft or something.  I worry that fixing them high up (out of reach) would either be too far away for good motion sencing and/or zooming in for I.D.ing reg plates/faces. 

Thanks for your help.

MarcusAurelious
Aspirant
Aspirant

I looked at the white arlo wall mounts but thought they looked more like surface mounts?  I'd need to fix them to a vertical wall and not onto the top of a wall (or other surface)  Am I mistaken in thinking they would not be suitable?

Thanks for your input.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

MarcusAurelious wrote:

I did google and found the white Arlo mounts but from the picture I thought they looked like surface mounts?

The thread size is useful and helpful thanks.  I was hoping there'd be a secure option like anti-theft or something.  I worry that fixing them high up (out of reach) would either be too far away for good motion sencing and/or zooming in for I.D.ing reg plates/faces. 

Thanks for your help.

Not sure it is really possible to securely mount any security camera. Speed trap cameras, for instance, are vandalized or stolen with far better protection than we could ever provide our little Arlo cameras. The risk of theft is always there, not just for the Arlo cameras.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

MarcusAurelious wrote:

I don't have any of any of mine mounted on a vertical wall. They are all ceiling-mounted. But they should work in a vertical mount position too.

In some orientations the large wing-nuts to fasten the ball joint come in the way of the camera though, so it might be better to get something with a low-profile fastener, like this (click image to go to Amazon product page):

Camera Mount.png

MarcusAurelious
Aspirant
Aspirant

perfect!!  I wasn't happy relying on the magnetic mount and whilst I admit you'll still be able to attack "any camera" I would feel much more comfortable knowing they'd need to climb up and unscrew this one rather than just throwing a ball at it to break the mag-seal.  The photo you posted is a better photo then any I've seen of the bracket; you're able to see the ball joint so know it's range of movement.  Thank you.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

MarcusAurelious wrote:

perfect!!  I wasn't happy relying on the magnetic mount and whilst I admit you'll still be able to attack "any camera" I would feel much more comfortable knowing they'd need to climb up and unscrew this one rather than just throwing a ball at it to break the mag-seal.  The photo you posted is a better photo then any I've seen of the bracket; you're able to see the ball joint so know it's range of movement.

Just to clarify:

I was not referring to the Arlo table/ceiling mount in my first message in this thread.

This is the magnetic Arlo table/ceiling mount:

Arlo Table Mount.png

I don't think any of the magnetic mounts are suitable for outside.

The official Arlo outside mount is this:

Arlo Mount White.png

It has these rather large wing-nuts to fasten the ball joint that can come in the way if you need to have the ball joint arm turned by 90°. This would typically occur if mounted on a vertical wall. Not so much when mounted from a ceiling.

A cheaper, but otherwise identical (and black) mount is the one I suggested in my original message:

Outside Mount Black.png

Again, the wing-nuts can pose a problem.

That's when I suggested an alternative mount, with a low-profile fastener (i.e. without wing-nuts):

Camera Mount.png

(Clicking on any of the images will lead to the respective Amazon product page.)

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just another opinion on the magnetic mounts...

I use the magnetic mounts that came with the cameras in 5 locations around the perimeter of the house, and they have worked quite well.  Most of them have been up for more than a year.  They don't rust, and they stay put.  They are especially helpful if you don't know exactly where to put a camera, and want to try it out in different locations or angles, or if you want to be able to quickly move them from one place to another.

IMGP0007.jpg

IMGP0004.jpg

IMG_8991.jpg

IMG_8988.jpg

IMGP0002.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree. I use only the magnetic mounts on 3 outdoor cameras with no issues. Yes, they are more prone to theft but 1) someone has to look for the camera in the first place and 2) any camera can be stolen or damaged regardless of the mount. Your paranoia level should be what dictates your usage since one size doesn't fit all.

hiflyer51
Initiate
Initiate

IMG_0608.JPGIMG_0608.JPGI have use Schutt softball safety masks as cages for my arlo pro cameras. While not perfect they provide a deterrent against vandalism and theft. To make them fit I cut out a part of the center cross bar. They can't just knock th camera down with a bat or club. Cost about $8.IMG_0609.JPG