Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
Endoflife
Initiate
Initiate

Just received that the arlo pro I bought on HSN Aug 2018 for $412 is going end of life. 4.5 year old now end of life?

This is outrageous!

Terrible company taking full advantage of their customers.

Only 3 months notice too.

Maybe everyone will be ring customers after this movement by Arlo.

Your sales pitch was " get cameras with 7 days storage with NO subscription fee". 

You sold me and now I will have $412 worth of worthless cameras.

I will also complain to bbb and HSN.

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary

I have (15) Arlo cameras that are going to EOL soon. The only reason I bought these cameras, was because they automatically record motion and store it to the cloud for safekeeping.  Otherwise, I have no use for these cameras.

Arlo advertised product functionality that is being removed with the new EOL policy. And, based on some other comments, it appears that if you pay extra, then maybe you can keep your functionality for a tiny bit longer? That's pretty blatant false advertising, with a bait and switch tactic.

I'm trying to get a firm answer about this cloud storage confusion from support, but they are completely incompetent with their copy-paste responses, let alone actually taking the time to provide a real answer.

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary

I've been doing as much digging as I can to try and figure out what is going to happen to our cloud storage on the Arlo Pro and subsequently the Arlo Pro 2.

Based on the full version of the EOL document, we will no longer receive any email notifications as of April 1st, 2023.  A lot of people probably don't care, but I personally heavily rely on email notifications to let me know my camera batteries need charging.  This is going to be a massively crippling feature loss, to try and keep up with (15) camera's batteries.

However, the most important takeaway from the full EOL document is that the Amazon cloud storage (AWS) is going to be retired on January 1st, 2024.  My understanding is both the Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2, use the Amazon cloud storage.  This means that every single person who has a Pro or Pro2 camera will essentially have a useless paperweight starting January 1st, 2024.

Arlo's disgusting EOL policy is a blatant cash grab that takes a perfectly working product and purposefully makes it useless.

Screenshot_20230106-223626.png

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary

I very sincerely hope all of the backlash they are receiving right now on social media and the mainstream news will prompt them to cancel, or hopefully at least delay, the EOL policy.

Kremmen
Guide
Guide

I apologise for my previous post.

My tablet threw a wobbly and auto entered 20,000 line feeds that I couldn't correct.

My problem is that only Arlo cameras show up in Smartthings to allow Smartthings to control geofencing.

I've tried Kasa, Tapo and Nest but only Arlo allow me to turn them on/off into standby in a routine.

Yes I'm angry with Arlo but at the moment it looks like a single Indoor Essential placed optimally with single cam sub.

AmyArlo24
Tutor
Tutor

I am in the same boat and will likely do the same thing. I was up til 3am researching other camera systems. It's a real shame as I love my Arlo. I recommended it to others too who will now be in the same boat.  I am gutted as I just hit 5yrs with the cameras but I only bought the Arlo doorbell 1yr ago. I wonder what will happen to that doorbelll when I buy a new camera system that has a different base station?  I think there needs to be consumer laws stating how long a product support life cycle is and does it start from date of  manufacture or purchase and  first use of the product. Something to consider.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MotoRider42HC wrote:

However, the most important takeaway from the full EOL document is that the Amazon cloud storage (AWS) is going to be retired on January 1st, 2024.  My understanding is both the Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2, use the Amazon cloud storage.  This means that every single person who has a Pro or Pro2 camera will essentially have a useless paperweight starting January 1st, 2024.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet.  It is the base that connects to the Arlo Cloud, not the cameras.

VMB4xxx and VMB5xxx bases support cameras that are still in production, so they at least will continue to get firmware updates - including the new API for whatever replaces AWS.

But this could potentially affect VMB3xxx bases - we'll have to see.  

@JamesC , it would be good to get more information on how the EOL will affect firmware updates for older bases.

fredq2
Star
Star

Retention offer I received, in case this hasn't been posted.

If the subscription is $120/year paid up front, 75% off makes it $30 but for only 1 year.

I wonder if you can by multiple years (like 4 years for $120).

I scanned the product offerings and didn't see anything compelling with the 50% off code. I have 2 Hubs, 2 ARLO PRO 2s, 6 ARLO PROs and 3 lights (which hardly ever worked so I stopped using them).

We sent out an email on January 1, 2023 regarding Arlo’s end of life (“EOL”) policy, which referenced that the Arlo Pro (VMC4030) and Generation 3 (VMC3030) cameras and specific cloud services will be EOL on April 1, 2023.

While it is true that on April 1, 2023 these camera models and some services will EOL, your hardware will continue to provide motion detection, push notifications, live streaming and the ability to record video to local storage (and use RATLS).

However, due to the age of these legacy devices, items like spare parts, ongoing firmware changes, repair services and exact replacements will no longer be available. And the services EOL means we will no longer support email notifications, E911, or short-term video cloud storage. As technology advances, transitions like this are inevitable, but we understand the frustration this can bring.

Many users have expressed a desire to upgrade to our latest devices and services. As a thank you for being a valuable Arlo customer, we are extending two loyalty offers. The first is 50% off ANY Arlo camera or video doorbell (limit 5 devices) available on Arlo.com — just click "Redeem Product Offer" and enter code (redacted) at checkout to redeem.* The second is 75% off ANY Arlo Secure subscription service for 12 months available on Arlo.com.**

This provides a unique and compelling way to take advantage of our latest technologies and experience. We hope this answers questions you may have, and again thank you for being part of the Arlo family.

Sincerely,

The Arlo Team

RPGLT
Tutor
Tutor

Sounds like a case of fraud to me. Arlo rep. States there will be offers and options coming via email to effected customers. More fraudulant offers? I would encourage everyone effected by this to file complaints with every consumer agency you can think of. Spread the word of this to anyone that will listen, on every social platform available.

ScottFree
Initiate
Initiate

Agree.  I have two Arlo Pro 2 systems with two base stations and TEN cameras.  I just bought some new higher resolution cameras in December 2021 !  I dont have the time or money to research, and replace all that equipment (that has been working great).

The only email address at Arlo I could find is through their investor link on the website.  Mr CEO "Matthew McRae" also has a twitter feed he is trying to tell people the EOL is a good thing that will save us money.  Lastly, google "Some Arlo users reporting End of Life policy to FTC" which has a link to file a FTC complaint.

Kopacm
Star
Star

Join class action lawsuit for customers like me who will be negatively impacted by Arlo’s end of life policy despite promoting free cloud storage.

Mark85
Star
Star

@Kopacm 

Thanks for the link. Just submitted my information.

gmcjetpilot
Star
Star

I take it you just bought an Arlo camera. Yes you need to buy a service to get storage and all the features. I believe Arlo stopped offering free 7 day storage and push notification many years ago, except may be for a short trial. Call Arlo? What does the retail sales box say, manual say? You bought it recently have receipt return it. What I can tell you,  +5 yrs ago when I and others bought Arlo Camera's it was free 7 day service, with no end date.

EOL says they will no longer support the early cameras that had the free 7 day storage, no customer support, no parts, no SW updates. As far as the 7 day storage and email notification, ARLO seems to waffle and be vague.  I am going to wait until April. I called twice. I can also tell you I now can only get 10 SEC recording time. There was an option to record up to 120 SECONDS. That is gone. They lady on phone claims they never changed that. Hummmm. THEN proceeded to offer a paid subscription where I could record variable lengths past 10 seconds. k Obviously long record times after a camera trips uses up their storage space. The admit they are having to expand their storage capacity that cost millions.  They want to migrate EVERYONE to paid subscription. Frankly I understand their business reasons. However they are taking a loyal Arlo customer and turning them into enemies.

AGAIN APRIL WE SHALL SEE. I NEVER GOT AN EMAIL. The only reason I found out is the 10 seconds record time issue and trying to contact ARLO on Chat. It said MY ACCOUNT did not have support BUT COULD BUY SUPPORT. Then I went to the Arlo Community and posted a EOL question, which brought me here. 

There are MANY other security options that will notify you and save video that can be retrieved via your phone that are subscription free. There are many other ARLO like Cameras with subscriptions like RING (which seems to have better Video Quality). I can say my Arlo Pro's take so so video day and night mediocre. That is the problem with MANY security cameras, it can document the CRIME but can't give you forensic or military grade night vision or spy satellite clarity to read a license plate at 20 yards at night.  Unless the person is close and stares at the camera it's pretty vague description of the person. Of course many wear hoodies or mask.   THE MAIN thing for me is MOTION DETECTION, NOTIFICSTION, BEING ABLE TO LOOK AT VIDEO EVEN IF NOT SUPER CLEAR, AND IF NEEDED CALL THE COPS. 

Arlo offered me a subscription and it was not cheap. I forgot, it was $12.99 per month any number of cameras. That is $155.88 a year. I recall they quoted 10% off. No!  I called back and they offered me a much better 5 yr deal. Reasonable, but my cameras my last another 5 years or 1 year.  WHY WOULD THEY SELL ME A SUBSCRITPTION FOR 5 YEARS ON CAMERA'S THEY WILL NOT SUPPORT? 

i am fine with no more hardware support, but 5 yrs is TOO SHORT.  However if they do not keep serving my videos and sending push email notifications I will be pissed, and I will do all I can to extract satisfaction or retubution.    I always assumed there would be a finite life to "LIFETIME" for the hardware, and the FREE server service would go away with the hardware. FINE.... But I expect at least 10 yrs out of electronics, which are still working after 5 years. There is no technical obsolescence that makes these cameras unusable, only Arlo needing to build more storage center capacity and get revenue. FINE with that as well, but it was me and others that MADE this brand by paying $800-$1000 to buy them early on.  You promised  storage server service and notification so give it to us.  The restricting the record time to 10 seconds  I dislike A LOT, but I can live with that. APRIL we shall see. 

redsoxfan44
Apprentice
Apprentice

i don't know if the class action will get anywhere.  THere must be some TOS somewhere that gives them an out.  I have the original box (Oct, 2019) and I see it says "free cloud storage" all over it!!!    

My app is asking me to update recently.  I never update unless I absolutely have to.  Probably some new TOS buried in the update.

redsoxfan44
Apprentice
Apprentice

The restricting the record time to 10 seconds  I dislike A LOT, but I can live with that. 

Is it really?  I thought it was longer.  DId it used to be longer?  40 seconds rings a bell. (no pun intended LOL)

Nashdan
Tutor
Tutor

The link below is a web-archived page from Arlo, from June 6, 2017 and it plainly states:

"The Arlo Basic plan gives you access to motion- and audio-triggered recordings from the past 7 days. And the plan never expires!"

Clearly many of us made the purchase based on the promise of the "plan never expiring".  It's simply wrong that Arlo now chooses to change the terms at their choosing, in an attempt to force people to now have to pay for a subscription service.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170606011740/http://arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/default.aspx

Nashdan
Tutor
Tutor

Here is an archived web page from June 6, 2017 showing Arlo stating that:

"The Arlo Basic plan gives you access to motion- and audio-triggered recordings from the past 7 days. And the plan never expires!"

https://web.archive.org/web/20170606033243/http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/default.aspx

This is clearly false advertising now that Arlo is removing the free cloud storage and access.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@redsoxfan44 wrote:

The restricting the record time to 10 seconds  I dislike A LOT, but I can live with that. 

Is it really?  I thought it was longer.  DId it used to be longer?  40 seconds rings a bell. (no pun intended LOL)

It is set in the modes for the base.  10 seconds is the default, but it can be increased.

Nancy_L
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you Nashdan! I was hunting through Wayback yesterday and didn't find this. 

redsoxfan44
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB  Thanks for the info.  Mine is a Q.  No settings.   Looked in my library and lengths vary 17-20 seconds.  Probably "as needed" due to motion.

@Nashdan Awesome find.  Never is never..  I guess the internet never expires too - ha!

IshmaelB
Apprentice
Apprentice

We all bought these Pro 2 cameras when cloud storage it was FREE.  That was part of the purchase price.

Arlo reneged on the purchase agreement.  The cams will still "work" they say, but without cloud storage and so are useless.

Arlo obviously can still support cloud storage, for a steep price.

That is FALSE ADVERTISING, which is ILLEGAL. 

I suggest you express yourself to support (which if try hard enough you'll get past the  bot) and vent.

Then contact the FTC and your Attorney General.

This is ridiculous.

IshmaelB
Apprentice
Apprentice

We all bought these Pro 2 cameras when cloud storage it was FREE.  That was part of the purchase price.

Arlo reneged on the purchase agreement.  The cams will still "work" they say, but without cloud storage and so are useless.

Arlo obviously can still support cloud storage, for a steep price.

That is FALSE ADVERTISING, which is ILLEGAL. 

I suggest you express yourself to support (which if try hard enough you'll get past the  bot) and vent.

Then contact the FTC and your Attorney General.

This is an outrage.

Steve32
Star
Star

Class action lawsuit has been initiated. Thanks to whomever got that going. Link to add your name is in one of the earlier posts from today if you would like to join. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@redsoxfan44 wrote:

Mine is a Q.  No settings.   

Do you see "Library" and "Mode" on the main app screen?  Or do you see "Dashboard" and "Feed"?

If you see "Library" and "Mode", are you able to select the Q if you choose "Mode"?  There should be modes for the Q, and you should be able to edit them to see the camera rules.

JamesDavisPhD
Tutor
Tutor

I did not see a link to join the class action… I did make a rather compelling report to the FTC, however.