Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

End Of Life Policy

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm sure Arlo didn't think of people combining accounts to get free storage for all their many cameras.  Once they realized the revenue loss, the model changed.

I never minded paying, because I understand the expense to keep that cloud up and running and current and (hopefully) safe.  Have my doubts about the safe part though, lol...

Tech is constantly in motion, it's a never ending battle of maintenance and upgrades, but at times I have felt Arlo really needs to start from scratch rather than patch and upgrade that mess...

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@StephenB 

Well I guess my best option is to wait until the EOL takes affect and just do some tests with the subscription.

Do you know why I don't have that "feed" feature now?

Is it because I have legacy cameras?

Because if I had the new features/options, I should be able to test them with these cameras to see what works for 2 locations before making a decision on upgrading.

ExArloUser69
Star
Star

@AshTray900 

I've had two of my Pro2s on Arlo's solar panels since 2020 and they have been flawless. Every  day they are charged to 100%. Then again, I live where there is direct sun 99% of the time, so there's that...

Kremmen
Guide
Guide

Each time I see a r3lated news item the detail changes. The latest I've j7st read said the EOL 4 years doesn't start until 5he end 9f manufacture, not the start as some have sa8d.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DaveWoj wrote:

Do you know why I don't have that "feed" feature now?

Is it because I have legacy cameras?

They've been rolling it out slowly.  You can forcibly migrate, by starting to add a home security system or pro 5 - and then backing out.  But honestly, I wouldn't do that.  There are bugs, and not a lot of clear documentation on how it is supposed to work.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@StephenB 

Again. Thanks for the info and clarification.

IrisKelowna
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great idea of returning the cameras to costco and maybe time for costco to activate their end of life with Arlo too!  

CaptainMatt
Initiate
Initiate

Am I reading the recent EOL announcement correctly where it states that I my system containing VCM4030 cameras will no longer have the free 7 day cloud recording feature? 

Security35
Guide
Guide

Maybe it's just my end, but looks like arlo has shut this thread down. I see 848 posts, but can only view 844 and the pages end at 34. I do see arlo's attempt to reach out to those customers affected by the EOL which is good news. I only hope arlo doesn't censure the responses on this issue. If so, I guess the reddit posts will suffice to keep this issue moving forward.

up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

@DaveWoj 

ok Dave, so what is there?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CaptainMatt wrote:

Am I reading the recent EOL announcement correctly where it states that I my system containing VCM4030 cameras will no longer have the free 7 day cloud recording feature? 

Unfortunately, you are reading it correctly.

RichTinAustin
Initiate
Initiate

Yeah it definitely stinks of greed.   I have a 4 camera system that I purchased for around $1000 with backup rechargeable batteries included.   These perfectly functioning cameras will be now useless.   I recommended Arlo to several people over the years.   Not anymore.... I will move to another brand because I refuse to feed this corrupt company another dime of my money.   Shame on you Arlo!   I honestly hope this bites your greedy souls right where you deserve.... in your wallet.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Security35 wrote:

Maybe it's just my end, but looks like arlo has shut this thread down. I see 848 posts, but can only view 844 and the pages end at 34. 

FWIW, I see 86 pages, and can view up to 851.  844 has a ton of empty lines on the end, and that might be confusing you.

danmcg
Initiate
Initiate

I do see a post after yours ...so not yet. They have definitely not reached out to all customers affected and would be very surprised if there is anything they could do to salvage their image based on way the rug was pulled out from under a large percentage of "previously devoted customers"!

up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

https://www.reddit.com/r/arlo/ for when they eventually do shut it down...

RichTinAustin
Initiate
Initiate

Not shut down yet.....   Myself and the rest of the grumblers will get our time and words!   Arlo is so greedy right now they are coming up with excuses like software issues and security issues.   Makes no since the only thing stored is a video clip.   The new cameras have the same type of video clips.   Stupid excuses with no effort to even hide how greedy they are.   

ExArloUser69
Star
Star

@StephenB

@Security35 

Well, they've deleted at least 2 of my posts and banned me for 24 hours for having the tenacity to call CEO Matt's tweets "tone-deaf." Delete this one if you like as well. I'm beyond caring at this point.

I hope you all realize that by having us bitching in this one thread, it makes it easier for them to delete the entire thread with a click of the mouse down the road, right?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ExArloUser69 wrote:

I hope you all realize that by having us bitching in this one thread, it makes it easier for them to delete the entire thread with a click of the mouse down the road, right?

Mods often consolidate threads - one reason why I always quote what I am replying to.  So it doesn't much matter.

ExArloUser69
Star
Star

@StephenB 

Thanks for explaining how moderation works to me. You are correct though-- it doesn't much matter anymore.

CaptainMatt
Initiate
Initiate

Figured. That is unacceptable. The free 7 day cloud storage is the primary reason I chose the Arlo system. It's advertised twice on the box. Arlo should continue providing the advertised service or offer to replace these systems with a comparable system. Otherwise, I'll let our state's attorney general's office handle this situation. 

Smxcan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not sure if the frequent posters here are aware, but this thread is being followed by hundreds of people, which means everyone's getting notified through email of every reply posted. Today, I reviewed over 60 emails about replies, and when I read most of them, it seems like a hand full of people are using this thread as their personal Q&A for anything related to cameras or accounts.  

Personally, I was following this thread to stay on top of EOL-related comments from customers or Arlo. 

So, people, please try to keep your posts related to this ridiculous 4-year EOL Policy, the removal of the 7-day subscription, or any other items Arlo is bringing to an end. If it's not EOL-related in any way, find another thread or PM the person directly. 

Having said that, to make my reply more EOL-related 😉, can someone (maybe from Arlo) explain how we can opt-in to receive that customer retention "offer" that some existing EOL-impacted customers received? I haven't received it, but I have 4 Arlo cameras hitting EOL on 1/1/2024. Do we need to sign up to receive general marketing emails from Arlo, or is there a better way to ensure we get this offer? I'm exploring other companies now, but I want to see how Arlo's offer compares to others. 

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Smxcan 

I haven’t seen any discount emails myself but to just give you an idea on price, Arlo sells the 3 pack of Pro4 for $550.

Best Buy is selling a 3 pack bundle including 4 batteries and 2 battery charger for $350.

I think it would need to be a hefty discount considering Arlo probably charges full retail.

and then there’s the return policy, which I would be more comfortable with Amazon, Best Buy or many other retailers.

Just my opinion.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@Smxcan 

Regards your comment about hundreds of users following this thread, I don’t believe so.

The thread is a merged management technique to minimise user interaction since only those users who have actually posted to this thread will receive emails. I.e.  Any user posts on new threads that get merged will not receive email updates on the merged thread so the impression will be that nobody else cares. 

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Consider if you are unhappy with how Arlo has treated you, to just return the product (if you can). Costco will take them back and quite likely will raise their attention when they have few hundred $ k in returned cameras that are bricked. I am sure that will raise some eyebrows from buyers (wonder who bears the cost of these returns?)

Unfortunately not sure other levers to pull with other sellers (Amazon, etc).  Anyone have luck with Amazon etc?  

ideally (though far fetched) Force a product recall type action. Maybe if regulatory groups (AG, FTC, etc) get involved?

maybe folks in other countries have more consumer protections?

nddomer1999
Guide
Guide

Dear End of Lifers - like most of us are are just truly disgusted with the greedy decisions this company is making to disable products that work perfectly fine and have nothing wrong with them. I smell a lawsuit coming from Costco. I chatted Costco support tonight and was able to return 2 separate end of life systems purchased in 2018. All you need is your original email with your order number your name and address and they will provide a full refund. I plan on taking that full refund of over $1500 to the Eufy.com website and purchasing the Eufy S330 4k system which does not require any subscription and is not subject to corporate greed. You can also report Arlo to the California district Attorney’s office. I’m done Arlo.