Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TheMegaMan
Star
Star
So has the format of the motion notification emails changed to remove the preview image, intentionally?

If so, it's a really bad move. I get a lot of false notifications, and the preview image was an excellent way to help identify if I needed to look in more detail.

Without it, I've got to open and download each video clip in turn, taking a long time and increasing the load on your servers.

Can I suggest this change is reversed or maybe a user option?

Regards,
Adam
185 REPLIES 185
fred7157
Star
Star

Earlier this week Arlo removed picture preview from the email it sends when motion or sound is detected on a camera. This feature was invaluable and saved lots of time. Without the picture preview we have to login to the app or the website to view the image\video which is very inefficient. Arlo says they did this on purpose with no valid reason given. We also need to post reviews on Amazon for the Arlo cameras to reflect the feature being taken away. I'm sure many agree with me as this was a bad decision. 

Please reach out to the CEO of Arlo on Twitter and let him know how much we miss this feature. 

The CEO of Arlo is Matthew McRae, his twitter handle is @mbmcrae 
Also reach out to CNET, PCMAG and Tech Crunch (tag them in the Twitter post)
fred7157
Star
Star

Earlier this week Arlo removed the picture preview from the email it sends when motion or sound is detected on a camera. This feature was invaluable and saved lots of time. Without the picture preview we have to login to app or the website to view the image\video which is very inefficient. Arlo says they did this on purpose with no valid reason given. Please reach out to the CEO of Arlo on Twitter and let him know how much we miss this feature. 

We also need to post reviews on Amazon for the Arlo cameras to reflect the feature being taken away. I'm sure many agree with me as this was a bad decision. 

fred7157
Star
Star

Earlier this week Arlo remove the picture preview from the email it sends when motion or sound is detected on a camera. This feature was invaluable and saved lots of time. Without the picture preview we have to login to the app or the website to view the image\video which is very inefficient. Arlo says they did this on purpose with no valid reason given. Please reach out to the CEO of Arlo on Twitter and let him know how much we miss this feature. 

We also need to post reviews on Amazon for the Arlo cameras to reflect the feature being taken away. I'm sure many agree with me as this was a bad decision. 

fred7157
Star
Star

Earlier this week Arlo removed the picture preview from the email it sends when motion or sound is detected on a camera. This feature was invaluable and saved lots of time. Without the picture preview we have to login to the app or the website to view the image\video which is very inefficient. Arlo says they did this on purpose with no valid reason given. Please reach out to the CEO of Arlo on Twitter and let him know how much we miss this feature. 

fred7157
Star
Star

Adam, please go to the post Arlo marked as the solution for your issue...Along the top of Jessica's solution you'll see three dots...Click the dots and choose "not a solution" to open the post back up. 

Earlier this week Arlo removed the picture preview from the email it sends when motion or sound is detected on a camera. This feature was invaluable and saved lots of time. Without the picture preview we have to login to the app or the website to view the image\video which is very inefficient. Arlo says they did this on purpose with no valid reason given. Please reach out to the CEO of Arlo on Twitter and let him know how much we miss this feature. 

TheMegaMan
Star
Star

Ah, didn't realise I could do that. I've seen the 'accept as a solution' button on some threads, but didn't realise moderators could do this for me without me being told!

Thread now reopened.

And off to twitter I go...

Ewf2001
Guide
Guide

That’s bad news. Why did they do this and without any notification?

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got it! I think I figured out the reason this is happening. When Arlo split off from Netgear, and took over their own software programming and engineering, everything started going downhill, right? I think, over time, they proved that they're not entirely sure how to run a business; think of all the counterintuitive decisions they've made, including removing the single most important feature.  But while removing the image preview is stupid, it goes farther than that. When they send the alert now, it doesn't even tell you which camera was triggered so, you not only have to sign on to see the image/video, but you have to search through every camera to see which one was alerted. Obviously, for security purposes, these time-consuming steps make Arlo ineffective . . . if there's actually someone at the door, or perhaps breaking in, they're long gone before you've figure out that you have to trigger something or call someone.

So, what's going on?  I think Matthew McRae is purposely doing this to drive the stock price down even more. Think about it; if he can get it below $2/share - - they're getting close  . . .down to around $2.80 now -- he can buy a whole bunch more shares. THEN, they announce all sorts of upgrades and changes, including re-installing the image alerts, and everyone things that this is a company that REALLY listens to the customer base and the stock goes up. Sure, they'll make it a paid add-on, which is of course not what was originally advertised and enticed a lot of us to purchase, but the business world will love it, new customers will see the now-highlighted feature, and et voila, McRae is wealthier than ever.

I can think of no other reason this was done.

rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Let's not get into conspiracy theories just yet.   The alert does tell you exactly what camera was triggered and the link takes you directly to the clip.  I just think it's ridiculous you have to waste the time to do that.

OhNoArlo
Tutor
Tutor
I lost the preview (as noted previously) but it is still telling me camera names.

“Arlo detected motion on one of your cameras. Here are the details:
Side XXXXXXX at 12:54:56 PM EDT on Jul 18 2020“
Chrisv01
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera info is in the email - second line.

Arlo's decision is utterly stupid. 

I'm thinking of switching to Ring. Do Ring notifications include a preview in the email?  

Mallez
Star
Star

I posted earlier, but this is nothing but a cost saving exercise for Arlo.

They pay per picture, and ran the numbers for how much they will save my removing the snapshot from all the email notifications.  They likely will not bring it back, unless people stop subscriptions, stop buying their product, and buy competitors. 

I'm going to look at the one that rhymes with "BEST", as their subscription has just become very competitive with Arlo for their smart service.  

What burns me, and I have been working in software development/operations for years (well, decades now), is that they offered no deprecation process, so customers could decide/make changes before paying for longer subscriptions (or purchasing the product in the first place).  It's a horrible customer position and experience, and erodes trust in the company.

Only way it will change is 1) very negative and exposed external press/reviews of the change, and how they made the change, which will erode new customer confidence in the product before purchase, 2) if people stop their subscription service (which is where the real money is).

For service paying customers, it's a harder hit, as we paid for service (and even purchased), based on this functionality.  Free service usually offers more latitude for changing expectations (still should have a deprecation process).

johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Please contact them via email, by phone, Facebook, Amazon, Twitter etc.

nizmoz44
Star
Star

They use too have notifications when we had the ring door bell a few years ago before our Nest.  And it had a preview. 

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

I apologize . . . I didn't notice the camera in the line below the now-deleted image space. You're all right . . they do tell you which camera it it. Still a stupid decision to remove the image, though.

a

BTW - I'm all about conspiracy theories here 'cause every other reason makes no sense at all.

rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey...I'm not saying you're wrong yet.  😉

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

you may or may not own stock in ARLO but as a user you are an investor in it !

email  investors@arlo.com

and let them know  SHAMEFUL

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Earlier this week we made a change to motion/audio detection email alerts that resulted in the removal of snapshot images. The intent of this change was to improve the Arlo user experience, however we did not communicate this change to our users in advance, and based on your feedback, we understand the level of frustration this has created.

As a result, we will be rolling back this change later today. This will allow snapshot images for any new motion/audio detection email alerts after the roll back is complete.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

nizmoz44
Star
Star

This is wonderful news.  Thank you.  Please make sure you guys ask the community in the future what they think about a change like this.  You saved yourselves from losing a ton of customers, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth from what you all did sadly.

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

<<you may or may not own stock in ARLO but as a user you are an investor in it !>>

And just like the actual stock, the value of the equipment had gone down. Just wish selling the camera at a loss was deductible.

a

fred7157
Star
Star

The CEO wrote me back on Twitter! He said they will be rolling it back! It’s so nice that he actually read my message and took the time to reply! And listen to us. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@arseasttle   Hope you didn't sell your cam's JamesC  posted here they are rolling  it back.

rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Excellent!  They may have just earned another paid subscriber for listening.

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

THANKS to everyone who posted here, emailed, tweeted, instagram etc...

WE HAVE A VOICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

from CEO on twitter

Was able to contact the team this morning. Looking to roll back original functionality as we figure out a more secure method of providing snapshots. Should have been communicated better as well. Stay tuned for update.