Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TheMegaMan
Star
Star
So has the format of the motion notification emails changed to remove the preview image, intentionally?

If so, it's a really bad move. I get a lot of false notifications, and the preview image was an excellent way to help identify if I needed to look in more detail.

Without it, I've got to open and download each video clip in turn, taking a long time and increasing the load on your servers.

Can I suggest this change is reversed or maybe a user option?

Regards,
Adam
185 REPLIES 185
JG2
Guide
Guide
I agree as well, the service needs to return. Snapshot previews in the email notifications was very useful!
I have also submitted a ticket, but have not received a response.
Stevek14
Tutor
Tutor

This is ludicrous.  If in fact the issue is the privacy/security concerns, the answer is a simple opt-in.  The technology for the preview already exists so that isn't the hurdle.  If it is in fact a money issue, then offer as an optional service.  To anger a customer base over something so easy to address is just crazy.  Hopefully someone will see the light before they lose too many present and future customers.

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

I hate to pile on but I have to agree with most of the posters here. The decision to not have image previews, or the ability to email videos, is a terrible one. I travel a lot and the whole purpose of the Arlo system was that I would get, relatively, instant notifications w/image so I could see what's going on. Now, IF my phone's with me, I get an alert, have to click a link which launches an app, sign in to the app, click on the library and find the video ... meanwhile, if someone HAD broken in, it's too late to do anything. And if someone rang the bell and I wanted to speak to them through the system, they're long gone.

PLEASE rethink this terrible decision.  Once we all start posting reviews/reports about this change in the software, you are going to lose sales. I mean, hey, you are losing people who already chose Arlo . . .that doesn't bode well.

a

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

I already put the warning up on Amazon . . . it's been too long for me to return the system but for Arlo to eliminate the single most important feature of a security system, letting someone see what's there, what's the point of staying with the company.  

I didn't even see this "solution" 'til I found this extra thread. I'd been reading a thread in the Arlo Pro 2 forum that was "resolved" when they said the loss of image was an email problem. To find out, after all that, that it was an intentional thing . . it's just ridiculous

nizmoz44
Star
Star
Got a response from there support. Not a good one. See below. That is not a good answer or fix. Seems Arlo doesn’t care.

Thank you for submitting your response through our email channel. Please know that we will do our best to address your concern in the least amount of time.

I understand your email notifications has stopped giving a preview of the motion detected video. The missing Preview image on email alerts is an expected behavior after the recent updates.

Likewise, I would like to gather additional information so that we can proceed with other alternatives:

1. When did the issue started?
2. What is the Serial Number of affected camera/s?
3. When and where it purchased.
4. What is your Contact Number.
GR2011
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nizmoz44, Unfortunately, they know what the issue is but are playing around with you. They've already said they're not bringing it back due to the cost. Wonder how much more they will lose once word gets around about their latest decision.
johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Left a review on Amazon. Has anyone tried Twitter?

Tgrid
Aspirant
Aspirant

The removal of the email preview picture is unacceptable, it is imperative that a preview picture is available to quickly determine if it is a genuine alert or a false alarm. On too many occasions the system is triggered by swaying plants and branches and even flying insects so it is important to know what is happening quickly. The reason given that they were tired of explaining why the picture disappeared after 24 hours is pathetic, eliminating one of the most important features because you failed to explain how the system works does not make sense.

Please reinstate the email picture preview as soon as possible.

johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Tgrid , have you raised this to their social media, the place you purchased it, and called them?

Arly
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just ordered a Eufycam set ... Running it on my Synology Surveillance Station ... This was the drop I needed to swap .. thanks Arlo team

rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Let us know how those go.  From the reviews I was reading on the Eufycam it's not an acceptable replacement.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Yea I have seen the same, grass isn't always greener just go to their forum. I could not find if they even have a preview in the e-mail notifications but i may have missed it. 

nizmoz44
Star
Star
Let me know how the eufy works on your Synology. I have a Synology 1515 plus and would like to do that too. Which cams did you get that work that way?
nizmoz44
Star
Star
I found per others it doesn’t do email notifications. So that won’t work. Ring does though.
grcArlo
Star
Star

I really hope Arlo has finally realized what a bad decision it was to remove the preview picture in their e-mail notifications.  However, has anyone actually heard them acknowledge that this was a bad decision?  Should be an easy fix to just roll back the update and put the preview picture back.  Like others, I'm starting to look at other alternatives.  Just glad I bought my Arlo system from Costco... with their generous return policy, shouldn't be an issue to return these and get something else instead that is WAY more useful.  Very disappointed...  

Michaelmas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Normally I would only look at the still image preview  in the email to see that it is a cat, an Amazon delivery, the mailman, etc and not even play the video.  No need to see the whole video.

Now that I have to click on a link and wait for my preview I make sure to play each video to the end, sometimes multiple times.

I'm no computer expert, but I think if everyone did this Arlo would put the preview back in the email.  Why?  Because of the bandwidth demands this puts on Arlo's servers.  No preview?  fine -  now we actually play the videos we used to ignore.

GR2011
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same here. I'm looking at the Eufycam as well.
meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

Maybe it would be a better solution to change the subscription plans from 30 days of recording to say 25 days, and give us back our email preview !

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

maybe they are retaliating looks like I can't login on any device IOS or PC

just times out, is this system wide ?

dcfox1
Master
Master

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

Starting to get responses from Support !

just smoke and mirrors, provide more info etc.

Ive also received the same message saying removed because of confusion and security

if you want to shame someone

Matthew McRae Chief Executive Officer

Matthew McRae has served as our Chief Executive Officer since February 2018. Mr. McRae previously served as NETGEAR's Senior Vice President of Strategy since October 2017.
arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's been too long for me to return these to where I got 'em and, as word's now getting out about this, let's say betrayal*, the value of the used gear's gonna go way down . . . what a waste of money.

As everyone explores other options, please update your findings here so we know what brands are working . . . at least 'til Arlo starts deleting these posts.

a

*I say "betrayal "because it was one of two specific, advertised, selling points for Arlo in the first place. Battery-operated cameras and the notifications.

adamf13
Aspirant
Aspirant
Instead of removing it for everyone, can you atleast keep it as an option for those who use it?
meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have sent tweets on twitter to the CEO

Matthew McRae

sent email to investor relations

and Instagram Arlosmarthome

just an FYI this company makes no money, not well run they have no PE and their stock

is around $2.80

gilbo2
Luminary
Luminary

+1 please restore preview image in emails. As it stands, Arlo is now useless as an everyday quick check without these images in emails. Far too time consuming to watch the first 5 seconds on every video captured in a day!!!!