Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TheMegaMan
Star
Star
So has the format of the motion notification emails changed to remove the preview image, intentionally?

If so, it's a really bad move. I get a lot of false notifications, and the preview image was an excellent way to help identify if I needed to look in more detail.

Without it, I've got to open and download each video clip in turn, taking a long time and increasing the load on your servers.

Can I suggest this change is reversed or maybe a user option?

Regards,
Adam
185 REPLIES 185
rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

The ripoff part I'm not surprised at.  I work in the automotive industry.   I was just surprised at how blatant it was.   Does the Anker system offer notifications or a web interface or is it mobile only?   The facial recognition part was pretty cool I'll say.

neteng47
Tutor
Tutor

As expected the response from Arlo disregards customer feedback. 

I'm not sure how removing the snapshot is an acceptable action "to alleviate this frustration (and confusion of snapshots expiring after 24 hours)."

johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JessicaP :

My business is losing money since the new email notifications lack a preview functionality. How does removing snapshots from the email alerts help us the customer? This causes my employees to check online for every single notification. This is unacceptable.

When will Arlo get this fixed and show previews on the email again?

Otherwise, we'll switch over to Nest.

GR2011
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm looking at removing Arlo now and letting everyone on Amazon of the loss in capability. At least my Nest doorbell camera doesn't have the same stupid policy when it comes to picture in email notifications. Arlo's reason for removing the feature makes no sense especially when they don't even give the option.
meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

to be clear everyone !

there are no previews regardless of time and subscription there GONE

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

that's a good thought, if you've bought Arlo even a camera go on Amazon and give a crap

review !  SPEAK UP  the more the better

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo has done this crap before, can't believe they did not take a survey to see what the reaction would be

just poor management IDIOTS

johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's a great idea. I'll have to mention this on Amazon.

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just wrote my review on Amazon

stating the remove software features all the time downgrading their service !

Stevek14
Tutor
Tutor

Pretty clear that whoever made this decision was not an actual user of the product. Find it hard to believe anyone who relies on the arlo system would ever remove the previews.  Does anyone know someone over at Engadget or Lifehacker who could write about this?  That might get Arlo's attention.

GR2011
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just left one on the Lowe's website and plan to leave one on Home Depot and then Amazon. Am also looking at some alternate solutions since I have no plans on adding an Arlo products but remove the three cameras I currently have set up.
meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

HEY LISTEN UP ARLO - WAKEUP AND GIVE IT BACK - WE HAVE THE POWER TO LEAVE

A TYPICAL DISSASTISFIED CUSTOMER WILL TELL 10 PEOPLE ABOUT THEIR PROBLEMS

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

at the bottom of this page is a link "Contact Us"

then "Open a case"

its important if you want it back to let them know by opening a case !

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

READ THIS on Arlo website

its about Rich emails   there site says they provide a photo

https://kb.arlo.com/000056585/What-is-the-Arlo-Smart-rich-notification-feature

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

What is the Arlo Smart rich notification feature?

This article applies to:

AVD1001  VMC5040  VMC3030  VMC3040  VMC3040S  ABC1000  VMC4030  VML4030  VMC4030P  Arlo Smart 

With rich notifications, you no longer have to log in to your Arlo app when you receive an alert. Rich notifications allow you to see alerts from your lock screen that include images of what caused the camera to record. From your lock screen, you can activate the siren, call a friend, or activate the e911 feature.

To view the video and control your Arlo system from a rich notification:

rye_whiskey
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is on the paid sub on the mobile app.   This isn't email (rich notifications)

TBEDCV
Aspirant
Aspirant

Remind me when this system goes out and it will, to not buy again. If you don't do the photo in email and why I went with Arlo in the first place, you are wasting my valuable time opening each email. Future buyers beware, do NOT BUY ARLO. 

It is time to look for a new security system that allows what the customer needs and it is a feature, so make it available for those that want it.

Very simple. A very shameful and shallow move to do for those that bought your product.

johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post on Amazon and anywhere else for reviews. This is horrible that Arlo is not reverting back on this.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

A few days ago the video preview snapshots stopped showing in notification emails. The rest of the boilerplate content shows, just not the video itself. I use gmail in Chrome as my email client. I also tried viewing the emails in Opera and Firefox but the result was the same. I'm not interested in switching to an email app (e.g. Outlook) even if that solves the issue. Was this issue caused by a recent firmware update?

I'd appreciate any suggestions/ideas. Thanks!

ContraFL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yahoo email no longer shows preview or thumbnail- 
I am using Mail through iPhone- This started happening this week- I made no changes to my system.

Is there a set up change that needs to be updated?

grcArlo
Star
Star

We understand that this feature was removed intentionally, but it should now be clear that this was obviously a mistake that needs to be rectified.  The community has raised its voice and it needs to be heard.  Without this feature, the usefulness of Arlo cameras is dramatically reduced and will force us to move to another vendor like Nest or Ring.  

nizmoz44
Star
Star

Yep, and no response from their support ticket I opened is poor customer service.  Once I figure out which direction I am going for replacements, I am done.

grcArlo
Star
Star

This message is for those who are looking for information about the missing preview pictures from the Arlo notifications.  This was obviously an extremely useful feature to help us users easily sort through the notifications without having to open the Arlo app or go to the Arlo site.  Without these pictures the notification is basically useless.  Many of here in the community have raised this concern but we have not received any adequate response other than confirmation that it has been removed.  I suggest everyone who wants this feature back to raise a ticket with the support team so that our voice is heard.  Please refer to some of the other posts related to this for additional information:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Email-notification-format-changes-removal-of-preview-image/m-p/17...

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Email-notification-format-changes-removal-of-preview-image/m-p/17...

GR2011
Apprentice
Apprentice
Turned off my email notifications since Arlo's decision to remove the imbedded preview picture within the email notication. Have found a couple of alternatives to Arlo. Read a recent review on YouTube which stated that Arlo cameras aren't that good compared to others. They're not even in the middle of the pack. Too many false positives and inability to distinguish the difference between humans and shadows. Now they made it even worse by taking out the picture thumbnail from the email notification. May have a couple of cameras and hub for sale soon.
johnhuanvu
Apprentice
Apprentice

All,

I've placed a post on their Facebook page, created a support ticket, and called them. Arlo clearly doesn't care about their customers and having an answer that doesn't make sense to use on removing the screenshot.

I suggest all of you to raise your voices. Here is my post:

www.facebook.com/arlosmarthome/posts/2616757411869696

John