Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
brownwrap
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought this product Saturday and have been fighting with it since then. First off I have cameras that constantly disconnect. I have a camera two feet away from the base, yet it disconnects with the others. Today I have a brand new problem. Low battery after two days. Two days, this can't be normal. Besides the fact that I will only get free monitoring for three months, the price of replacing batteries make this product too costly.

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

brownwrap wrote:

I bought this product Saturday and have been fighting with it since then. First off I have cameras that constantly disconnect. I have a camera two feet away from the base, yet it disconnects with the others. Today I have a brand new problem. Low battery after two days. Two days, this can't be normal. Besides the fact that I will only get free monitoring for three months, the price of replacing batteries make this product too costly.

As to to why the disconnecting.... don't know.

But the first and easy thing to try is reset the cameras by opening and closing the battery door.

Then do a reset of the base ( hold in the reset for about ten seconds till the front leds flash )

Give it a min or two to come back online and you may have to resync the cameras too. ( like when new )

Also, keep an eye on the front leds of the base when the cameras go out, it may help solve the problem knowing if any of them go amber

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
brownwrap
Aspirant
Aspirant

It seems to be sending me email updates now. Perhaps I don't understand the operation of the device. I have a browser up showing me all three cameras and when they were last updated. They have an arrow displaying "Live". Do I have to select live to get updates, or do they happen in the background. It is when I go live that the cameras eventually disconnect.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

brownwrap wrote:

It seems to be sending me email updates now. Perhaps I don't understand the operation of the device. I have a browser up showing me all three cameras and when they were last updated. They have an arrow displaying "Live". Do I have to select live to get updates, or do they happen in the background. It is when I go live that the cameras eventually disconnect.

The cameras are 'motion triggered, then record" cameras... When ARMED, if the sensor sees motion , the camera will record for the time it is set for.

You can easily tell if the cameras are Armed form the live view screen  ... At top of each camera there are icons. One looks like a running man. If the running man is Black, the cameras are armed, if gray then not.

You can manually view at any time by clicking on the LIVE button for each camera. ( you can also manually start a record too by the target button on bottom ).  The Live view screen is bascally static... it will show the last picture the camera saw either by a trigger event or a live view. It doesn't change and also has a counter ( lower left ) telling you when it was last changed.

brownwrap
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is the live feature and email alerts an either or situation? It seem I only get the email alerts if I am not actively watching the cameras.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

brownwrap wrote:

Is the live feature and email alerts an either or situation? It seem I only get the email alerts if I am not actively watching the cameras.

Yes.. if manually started Live viewing, you over-ride the ARMED function so you would not get emails.

Emails are sent from a motion - triggered event. ( telling you some motion happened )

brownwrap
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ah, thank you. I actually bought this for my son. Just trying to learn how to use it. I don't think this all is explained very well with the literature sent with the unit. One big issue I have is the battery is already down to15% and I just bought it Saturday.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Using alot when learning/playing can do that at times.... and or other reasons like distance, signal strenght, etc

I can say my Arlo cams get close to 4 months on best video setting.... then again I use my in a spec manner wher is for motion detect record ( and < 5 mins a day usage( record, live view) is spec use )