Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Do I only receive alerts once every 30 mins? (And other new uesrs questions)

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
maduranga
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I am considering buying Arlo (non-Pro) and I have some ambiguities about the use. Appreciate if you guys can help me out.

• Do I need to subscribe to DropCam if:
    1. I only use 5 cams or less
    2. I do not need recordings from more than past 7 days
  • If my needs are as 1., then would I have any other recurring expenses, other than the batteries?
  • Do I only receive 1 alert per 30 mins?
    • I read in one of the forum answers that if I'm not paying for DropCam, I only receive 1 alert per 30 mins
  • Can more than 1 phone register to receive alerts?
  • Can I stream for longer continuously without having a premium DropCam subscription?

Thank you very much for the help.

Cheers.

4 REPLIES 4
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I have 5 cams and only have 7 days of cloud recording. I have no ongoing costs. For the original Arlo cameras, definitely consider getting rechargeable CR123A batteries and a charger. The Tenergy ones are tested by Netgear and recommended

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/tenergy_rechargeable_battery_charger.aspx

You will get a push notification every time motion is detected

Yes more than one phone will receive alerts

I don't know about streaming but you really don't want wireless arlo if you're going to be streaming a lot as it will chew through the battery power. For indoors and streaming, consider an Arlo Q to go along with 4 Arlo wireless cams to make your 5. If you want streaming of outdoor, just be prepared to replace or recharge the batteries frequently

maduranga
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Steve.

That helps.

Do you see a big delay in notifications?

Also, I wanted to ask, if I have the cam near an airconditioner, would it pick up that kind of sounds as well?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

The cameras generally take 5-10 seconds between first sensing motion and starting recording. This can be less than ideal for fast moving objects or ones heading directly towards the camera. After recording for your preset time 5-120s lengths, the cameras can take around 20 seconds to 'reset' before they're ready to detect motion again. Only the Arlo Pro cameras have the ability to record until motion stops.

I'm not sure if an Arlo Q would pick up the sound of the A/C

Arlo wireless has no mic or speaker. Arlo Pro has a mic and speaker

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

If you're considering an Arlo purchase, I would highly recommend Arlo pro over the original.  Arlo pro has a much faster motion detection system (digital PIR) and also has sound. You have 2 way audio at the camera, also, arlo pro has a usb port that you can use to keep videos longer than 7 days. It will write to the cloud and to your usb drive.  After 7 days,  cloud recordings are deleted, however the usb drive remains intact for archive purposes.  It also has a siren in the base. It also has a very good rechargable battery pack that works only in arlo pro.