Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Do I need a router to set the base station up? I am on a huge network that is wireless but no access

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ChefMarc90
Follower
Follower

I purchased these two cameras because the sales guy said they were the best. I get back to office and cannot even get started. I am in a huge hospital that has a wireless network and I surf it with my phone, tablet, desktop all for free....do I need to purchase a router for the cameras to work now? Is their no way to plug the base into an existing internet connection and work it that way???

2 REPLIES 2
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
You must use a device that you can plug the Ethernet cable from the Arlo base station into. That's mandatory. So, if all you have is WiFi access, it won't work.

I don't know if there are devices that could act as an intermediary, since a hospital WiFi network will probably require a login of some sort, but theoretically it would be possible if you found such a device.
tinokremer
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's certainly possible to get a device (Wireless Bridge it's sometimes called) that connects to the WiFi itself and provides a normal ethernetport on the other side. In that port you could plug your base into.

As the previous commenter said; be aware for logins or other things you need to do to get on the internet. Also I could imagine the hospital doesn't like streaming devices like cameras on their network. Perhaps you should consult an administrator / IT guy of the hospital first.