Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Disabling a specific wireless camera remotely?

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Hello.

From what I searched and read, there is no way to fully turn off/disable a Netgear Arlo through its web site and iOS apps. Am I correct? The only way to do it remotely, is set the camera's sensitively to 1%. Maybe I couldn't find it since I thought I saw an option to do it last year before Netgear redid its software and web GUI. 😞

Thank you in advance. 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not bad ...good.

we all get brain farts now and then and I'd rather see a possible answer over none

The old vuezone so had a manual power switch...but not Arlo or Q.

The trick is to do it remotely. Yes modes can put a camera off in sleep mode and prob that's best. The "remove" method is a one way trip; the cam will require a full install to get back 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's easier than that. Go to the mode tab, choose your system and click on Disarmed. All cameras will not record. You can't actually turn off the cameras without removing the batteries.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

jguerdat wrote:

It's easier than that. Go to the mode tab, choose your system and click on Disarmed. All cameras will not record. You can't actually turn off the cameras without removing the batteries.

But I do NOT want to disarm ALL cameras. I just want to disarm ONE/1 specific camera remotely.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ant wrote:

But I do NOT want to disarm ALL cameras. I just want to disarm ONE/1 specific camera remotely.

The only way I can think of to remotely fully disarm ONE camera would be in settings under that camera, REMOVE.

but u won't be able to get it back on remotely

ant
Mentor
Mentor

TomMac wrote:

ant wrote:

The only way I can think of to remotely fully disarm ONE camera would be in settings under that camera, REMOVE.

but u won't be able to get it back on remotely

Yeah, I saw that option too but that is a pain in the butt to go  get the camera, reset it up, etc. I am surprised Netgear doesn't evne have a remote option to disable camera! 😞

CptMorgan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Arlo users,

I was poking around and found this post. I am new to Arlo so I may not fully understand the topic but can't log into your Arlo account and edit your Armed mode then edit the rule for "Then do the following" to set the recording option to "Do Nothing" instead of record video? I tried this on my system and the camera didn't record anything.

Another option, if I'm not mistaken is to create a new mode and only pick the cameras you want to have enabled?

If this isn't the type of disabling remotely you are referring to can you provide a little more context for this type of use case?

In doing some reading you guys are all really good at knowing this system in and out! I look foward to learning a ton from you guys! 

Cheers,

CptMorgan

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party".

Ron White

Mwalker208
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've owned this system for about a week, but I am sure I have your solution.  

Create a new mode. Then create rules in this new mode for only the cameras you want to use. Then turn on that mode. It works, I have created an outside mode which only records outside camera motion. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I misunderstood the original question but this ^^ is exactly right.  It's essentially the same thing as using Disarmed (which turns off all cameras) by leaving the various cameras that are desired to be on alone and simply not putting the one camera into a rule.  That way 3 out of 4 (or whatever) cameras are on and any others aren't.  That's the whole purpose of modes/rules.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ant wrote:

From what I searched and read, there is no way to fully turn off/disable a Netgear Arlo through its web site and iOS apps.

I read it as above... his key words were FULLY & disable

Ant has been around long enough to know how to work the modes.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

True enough but that's also long enough to know there's no on/off switch except on the base station. If nothing else, we've explored this for others that have the same question and bother to read.

Ant, have we bored you enough yet? 🙂

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Didn't the software, before the end of last year's major updates, have disable invidivual camera options?

Mwalker208
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac: "I read it as above... his key words were FULLY & disable

Ant has been around long enough to know how to work the modes."

My bad, I came to the site to see if I could find anything interesting or beneficial to know about the system. I stumbled across this thread & figured I would offer the only was possible solution I could see other than removing the batteries. I didn't notice it was a regular contributor, nor did I realize he was phishing for an answer he already knew. Kudos TomMac, my bad..

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not bad ...good.

we all get brain farts now and then and I'd rather see a possible answer over none

The old vuezone so had a manual power switch...but not Arlo or Q.

The trick is to do it remotely. Yes modes can put a camera off in sleep mode and prob that's best. The "remove" method is a one way trip; the cam will require a full install to get back