Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Chazutx
Initiate
Initiate
hello I purchased my system a few days ago...and after the first night my only camera keeps saying device offline each night around 10pm...the last 2 nights this has happened. Any reason as to what could keep kicking my camera offline? It also seems the only way to get it back is to bring it back to the base station and get it re synced. I can't keep doing this daily? If your internet goes down briefly will this cause it?
48 REPLIES 48
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's been reported that some folks have had issues like this but it's not a general problem.  Are you using a schedule or just using the Armed mode?  More details of your setup would help.

Chazutx
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the reply. I believe I'm using the "All Motion On" mode. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Chazutx,

Interference could be causing the camera to lose communication with the base station and drop offline. Consider moving your base station closer to the location of the camera if possible and be sure to limit the number of nearby wireless devices that could be causing interference.

JamesC

Feste97
Tutor
Tutor

Left my system Armed for about 36 hours and came home to find my single camera offline. Have had the system for about a month or so now, and made hardly and changes. No additional wifi devices introduced either.  Still need to investigate why the camera is offline and how to revive it, but I think it would be a good idea to get a systerm alert if any camera goes offline whilst in Armed mode! I can still activate Armed mode now even though my camera is offline and there is no error message!  Kind of misleading!

Feste97
Tutor
Tutor

I had to re-sync mine and now all seems well. Took 2 attempts to re-sync despite the camera being right next to the base station both times.

ANYWAY, I'll re-iterate that you should:

- Get an alert if any camera goes offline when the system is Armed.

- Get a warning message if you select Armed mode and any of your cameras are offline.

Page270
Aspirant
Aspirant
I bought my Arlo system last night and set it up inside my house to test it out (want to use it in my front yard). I only have 1 camera set up, about 7 feet away from base station, and all other wifi devices were off...I have my camera set to motion so it was idle pretty much all night...woke up this morning and it says it is offline.

If so many people are having issues with it going offline, I am sceptical of this purchase...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check the LEDs on the base - are they all lit and green? Try a power reset and open and close the battery door. Monitor and see if the reset helps.

Page270
Aspirant
Aspirant
The first 2 lights were on...camera light was not. The camera reconnect after I hit the sync button...my main concern is the fact that it went down in the first place. If I have a camera for security, it is not very good if the camera goes offline until I hit a button, which would be located outside. Is this a flaw that can be fixed or is this something that will just continue to happen?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've never had that happen so it's not a global issue. It could be various things including bad hardware. Does the camera show good WiFi signal or so-so? It could be a one time thing but if not create a trouble ticket for possible RMA.

RKCameras
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem intermittently. I have 12 cameras and 4 base stations and there are always 1 or 2 offline. They eventually come back online but for no apparent reason. Even more interesting is sometimes they will show offline when I login on my MAC but I go right to my phone app and they are not offline but show weak signal. Then back to the MAC and they are offline still there.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RKCameras,

If the cameras have weak signal this may be causing them to struggle to maintain a connection with the base station. This would result in the cameras intermittently showing offline. Consider relocating the cameras or the base station to strengthen their signal.

JamesC

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

Im having the same problem with all five of my cameras. Im accessing my arlo through a chrome browser and it says all five of my cameras are offline that im not connected to my router or the internet? I don't get it, im accessing my arlo through the web, I can watch my recordings but all five cameras are offline. I reboot the basestation, through my browswer and then my cameras are all online again. All of the cameras have full stregth wifi signal except one on the back of my garage and it shows two of three bars. Last night all five of my outside cameras went offline around midnight, didn't get one recording. The green light for the cameras is off until I reboot. This just started happening 2 to 3 weeks ago. Same thing through the app on my android tablet. I've had the basestation in the same spot since I bought the arlo last summer. Either my basestation is messed up or a updare is causing our problems.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

livewire713,

Are you seeing this issue across multiple browsers/mobile app as well? Please make sure you have the most up to date version of Chrome along with the most up to date version of Flash.

JamesC

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

James, yes I am. Windows 7, 8.1, 10, chrome browser, firefox and Internet Explorer and my andriod tablet. I'll either be watching recordings or going into live view and all of a suddent every camera is showing green with the message that I'm not connected to the router or internet. I'll look at the basestation and I only have two lights on when this happens the light for the cameras goes off. I'll reboot the basestation through the browser and the cameras come back and everything works fine for awhile. Everything was fine until the last few updates. I even moved the basestation to a different spot and the same results. I get full strength signals from the cameras except one and its showing 2 out of 3 signal strength. Can you buy just a base station? Is there anyway to stop live view without having to go into settings or library or recordings. There should be a stop live view button. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

livewire713,

Consider contacting the Arlo Support Team for further investigation of this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. 

At this time we do not sell a kit that includes only a base station. Live view can be ended by pressing the pause button. You can then start up live view again by pressing the play button.

JamesC

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

Since I bought all my cameras one at a time I wish I would have bought a extra basestation kit. They're only $20 more over the individual cameras. I hope netgear condsiders this as a option for people. Something could go wrong or mishap and now your only option is to buy a camera and basestation for $179.

Alcofam
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello! I was using my camera since August without any problem, we changed batteries two times, suddenly it stops working since last Friday 19....The message is "your device is offline"...we have reset it and still has the same issue... Please help
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Alcofam,

After opening and closing the battery compartment door, what is the LED behavior on the camera? Take a look at this article that defines LED behavior for the Arlo Wire-free cameras: What do the different LED behaviors on my Arlo Wire-Free camera mean?

JamesC

kpala
Aspirant
Aspirant

My husband and I just purchased Arlo - he set himself up as an admin and allowed me to join.  At first he didn't put me as an admin and my screen was going out every 2 seconds and it said disconnected all the time.  Then once he set me up as an admin it worked fine.  Note  I removed the app completely and then reloaded it just to be safe.  This may be a glitch with the system but now it works great. 

katmcd2
Tutor
Tutor
I am having the same issue. Camera keeps going off-line even when I have it within 3 feet of base station. I go thru all the steps of syncing, get live feed then 5 minutes later when I check again get message unable to connect try again. When I try again get oops line message. Have strong & fast internet. Like others said bought this for outdoor security doesn't make much sense if it won't stay on line. Brand new only had 1 week & it has been off line more than connected!
livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

katmcd2, I've had mine for about 9 months. When I first had it everything worked pretty well. Sometimes I'd have a issue with live feed not starting on the first try but it was always online and I'd never lose connection to all five of my cameras at the same time. Then a few months ago they changed the andriod and ios apps and the web interface, followed by firmware updates and now my system is totally unreliable. I wish they would go back to the original app and web interface and firmware. Restarting my base is almost a daily routine now. If they can fix the problems I'd recommend the system but not the way it is. I'd lose friends if I told anyone to buy this system.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's at least somewhat unlikely it's the firmware since it works fine for many folks. It's not the app or interface, it's something with your system or setup. Are you using old modes and rules that carried over from b before the update? If so, try creating new ones with exactly the same settings. Shouldn't matter but it does.

It can also be a bad base. Others here have reported months of battling poor connections and finally replacing the base under warranty and had great results. A new system could possibly be swapped at the retailer while one that's outside of the store's grace period would need to create a trouble ticket.

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had the system for months and it worked fine until they updated the interface. I'll make new rules and see if that helps. If not then I'll see if I can get the base replaced. I've been sitting right infront of the base with my tablet and the app open, everything working fine and the green light for my cameras goes out. On the wed interface and the app it has a message in green over my cameras that I'm not conneted to the internet or my router. All five of my cameras gone at the same time. I reboot the basestation through the web, which according to the error message Im not connected to and when it comes back online all five of my cameras are back. All of them except 1 show a full signal and the one that doesnt has 2 out of 3 of the bars. 

katmcd2
Tutor
Tutor
My system is brand new, no rules in place before in tried to connect camera. If so many people are complaining there must be an issue/ defect in latest update. I sync camera only 2-3 feet away from base station if camera light on base does happen to connect it only does so for about 5 minutes then drops camera, this is totally unacceptable. As far as resetting & moving base closer to camera, the specs say up to 300 feet line of site I can't even maintain connection 10 feet line of site! I purchased from Best Buy, there is no way for them to replace just the base station not sold without camera, so I will be returning the whole system & exploring a reliable system for outdoor security!!