Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
ryanofford
Tutor
Tutor

I have 4 Arlo devices (the standard non-pro version). 3 of the cameras work and one doesn't as it says the device is offline. It's a temporary thing and an easy fix in that if I remove the batteries the camera will come back online. The problem is that the camera is mounted out of reach on the wall of my driveway. I change the batteries means getting a ladder out.

Last night there was a small 'blip' with my internet connection. A simple outage that lasted a few seconds. This wasn't anything major and is to be expected every once in a while. Absolutely every other device in my house handles this well. The exception is Arlo.

The base station immediately refused to see each of the 4 cameras. I re-booted it (and actually spotted it doing a firmware update). At first, 3 of the 4 cameras went offline. 

After trying various things I couldn't get the cameras to come back on. Bear in mind this was midnight and I don't want to be mucking about removing batteries especially when I've gone to bed.

So...I ended up leaving this overnight and as of this morning only had 1 camera working. I've got to 2 of them and removed and replaced the batteries and they immediately came back online.

The driveway one hasn't as I need to get to the batteries. The problem is that now I need to be at work so it will have to wait until this evening.

This is a stupid situation to be in.

Why can't there be a simple re-try option or a re-try on the camera so that it attempts to re-connect after x minutes.

It shouldn't be a difficult thing to do (having spent 20+ years in the software world I see this as easy).

If you are going to have a device that connects remotely that you are supposed to put out of reach then it's not inconceivable to ask for a simple re-try at some point.

Having to go and get a set of ladders out to remove the batteries because of a small blip is somewhat stupid. Having (what will be) a day without camera use due to a small 5 second connectivity blip is a very 1990's archaic approach that really shouldn't exist these days.

Come on Arlo/Netgear. It's the little things that make the difference. Please add a re-try or some way of sorting this without having to get a ladder out and remove and re-insert the batteries.

As a side note (amusingly) I can re-set the Arlo router and randomly get a different camera so I can effectively cycle through this until I get the high driveway camera working and then remove the batteries from the ones I can reach easier. This suggests to me that it can work and is just a failing in proper testing of this product.

6 REPLIES 6
Streak2
Master Master
Master

I would try and do a factory reset of the base as opposed to a power cycle.

You will have to resync all of the cameras afterwards but hopefully this will sort things out.

1Ladybug
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine has been trying to update the firmware for 3 days now! Purchased this 5 months ago and it's been one trouble shooting hassle after another. 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

As a matter of interest, what are your internet upload/download speeds as measured by speedtest?

ryanofford
Tutor
Tutor
My broadband setup can run up to 200mbps each way. I use a wireless setup (with an antenna on the roof so no home phone line). The company that provides it is owned by a chap who lives nearby who I've known for years. It's pretty much an unlimited deal.
eener1975
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same issue and 1 camera isn't pairing with base station. I only have 1 camera and right now I can't fix it as I am traveling for business. Anything I can do from the road? Oh and I did update Firmware on one Saturday.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only thing you can try remotely is to restart the base (Settings, My Devices, your base, Restart button at the bottom).  No guarantees.