Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Daily updates of firmware required?????

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
alcat
Luminary
Luminary

I have 10 Arlo cameras and yesterday morning I was prompted to update firmware on all 10 devices. Seemed resonable so I did and all was OK.

This morning I have another prompt that I need to uodate the firmware again on all !0 devives!!!! 

Anyone else having this issue? It takes too long to update 10 cameras and bring them within range of the base.

How do we make this stop?

Al

46 REPLIES 46
dcravey1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just want to add my voice to the weird firmware upgrade dance that started this weekend. I have a 10-camera system that has been working just fine all year. Most of the cameras appear to have updated themselves to version 1.2.21616 without my knowledge or participation. (I've not noticed any downgrades to previous versions yet.)

Two of my cameras keep jumping between saying they are offline and saying that they need a manual firmware upgrade. (They are both hardware version H7 and currently on firmware 1.2.16720.) Every time I try to upgrade the firmware, these cameras blink blue and amber maybe once, then stop blinking and time out after several minutes. Sometimes I see a "camera rejected the upgrade" message in the app with no other explanation. Then it's back to the camera is offline message. I see them reconnecting, flashing blue leds repeatedly, and I imagine they will drain those brand new batteries if I leave them in this searching and reconnecting state overnight.

I notice that both of these cameras report around 32% battery level, even after I replace with fresh batteries. (I've tried both the official rechargeable batteries and brand new out of the package alkaline.) I've rebooted the system several times, have left it unplugged for half an hour then restarted. I've removed these two cameras in the app and added them back as new. Both cameras are sitting right next to the base station. Nothing seems to get them working correctly again.

I think I will open the battery doors on these cameras now and reseat the batteries/reconnect the cameras just before bedtime to see if the automatic firmware upgrade that supposedly happens in the wee hours will do the trick. Otherwise, I guess I'll be submitting a support ticket.

JKOFROTH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I asked the chat support rep to open a ticket with support and they did. I can update here with whatever they come up with.

BigBowzer
Star
Star

dcravey1, 
If the cameras are not updating, I would definitely open a ticket. I've used their chat twice with good results so far.

OH, did you mention that you rebooted the base???  If not, try that.   It has resolved my issues before.  Hope it helps!

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

I did not receive a firmware request overnight. Is the issues resolved? I am cautiously optimistic and will wait and see how the next few days play out

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

I did not receive a firmware request overnight. Is the issues resolved? I am cautiously optimistic and will wait and see how the next few days play out

please let us know if you hear bacj from support

dw_arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue as you described and opened a ticket.  Last night I checked and all cameras were at 1.2.21616 and this morning none had reverted back to the older firmware.  No response on the ticket though.

dcravey1
Aspirant
Aspirant

No change for me as of this morning - both cameras still going back and forth between reporting as offline and reporting that they need a firmware update (which fails.) Yes, rebooted the base station several times, but no luck. If they are still struggling when I get home from work tonight, I'll reach out to support.

JKOFROTH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I still haven’t had a response on the ticket either.

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Support is useless. Worst ive seen anywhere . for that reason alone i wont be buying anymore arlo products
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

As of today 23-7-2018, current firmware for Arlo Wire-free cameras is 1.2.21616. You can view the release notes for this firmware here: 

Release Notes – Arlo Wire-Free Camera v1.2.21616 – 20th July 2018

JamesC

Bubsie76
Aspirant
Aspirant

altho i was told not to open battery compartment on firmware update and since it was taking more than two days, one camera i called and was told to open battery conpartment and that worked.

Bubsie76
Aspirant
Aspirant

how do i stop my question - i have a gazillion emails coming thru. found and posted my answer. thank you all.

edoy
Aspirant
Aspirant

The release 1.2.21616 seems to have stayed for more than 24 hours now.  Hopefully it will stick this time.  This firmware swap exercise over the weekend that went from 1.2.16720 to 1.2.21616 to 1.2.16720 and back to 1.2.21616 has caused 2 of my cameras to drain most of their batteries.  One camera has drained its batteries from 95% to 16%.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming you mean from another thread, go to that thread and turn off off the subscription from Topic Options.

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

two morniings in a row without the issue recurring. If all is OK tomorrow morning I am willing to accept the issue as resolved.

Bubsie76
Aspirant
Aspirant

not sure how?

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

Uncheck the box at the bottom where it says Email me when someone replys. I'm guessing you'll need to reply to this message in order to click the box? That's my best guess. @Bubsie76

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

yea !!!   .. 3 days in a row without firmware issue. From my point of view the issue is resolved. I hope Netgear discovered the root cause and has put procedures in place to avoid this going forward. 

Dawsson46
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm getting the issue that the first device screen says it needs an update, but clicking on it further says its on the current version. Of course the camera is inoperable
dcravey1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wanted to give everyone an update on my 2 (out of 10) cameras that are still inoperable and refuse to update firmware. I did open a support ticket on Tuesday via chat and by the end of that conversation, the very nice agent told me they would be replacing those two cameras, as they determined the forced update corrupted the hardware. When I didn't receive the promised RMA's, I emailed for a status, and their response was that they are holding off on the replacements for a bit while their engineers try to work on a fix, as this has now become a "known issue" for a number of customers. (She didn't say how many.) They said they would keep me updated. Meanwhile, two cameras still out of commission.

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

It seems this issue (issues?) has several tentacles affecting different people in different ways. So what’s resolved for some is ongoing for others.

The only thing in common is firmware upgrades to 1.2.21616 from 1.2.16720.

Please everyone keep posting your experience and observations. I hope JamesC and other Netgear individuals will collect and forward this on.

Adewale
Luminary
Luminary
this is what happened to my camera. the camera updated to 1.2.16720 and went offline. i mistakenly removed the camera from the base station to force an update to 1.2.21616 and the camera has not been able to sync to the base station

just received a promise from support that i will get an email for a camera replacement