Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Daily updates of firmware required?????

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
alcat
Luminary
Luminary

I have 10 Arlo cameras and yesterday morning I was prompted to update firmware on all 10 devices. Seemed resonable so I did and all was OK.

This morning I have another prompt that I need to uodate the firmware again on all !0 devives!!!! 

Anyone else having this issue? It takes too long to update 10 cameras and bring them within range of the base.

How do we make this stop?

Al

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
alcat
Luminary
Luminary

yea !!!   .. 3 days in a row without firmware issue. From my point of view the issue is resolved. I hope Netgear discovered the root cause and has put procedures in place to avoid this going forward. 

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Either the update failed or it's a display issue. Verify the firmware versions of what your devices have and compare them to the versions listed in the Release Notes section here. Power cycling the base may help.

BTW, you don't need to take the cameras down to update firmware. They will update while in place as long as the battery level is high enough and signal strength is adequate.

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

thank you for the reply.

All of the updates were successful yesterday morning. Yesterday I was upgraded to 1.2.21616. This morning it said I needed to update to 1.2.16720. Not sure if 16720 is a downgrade since it is less than 21616.

Regardless all updates were sucessful yesterday and the cameras worked for 24 hours until this morning when another upgrade was required. This second round of upgrades were also successful and all cameras are working. 

I hope this second update is the last for a while.

thanks again

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

One follow up question where do I find the release note section?

<<

versions listed in the Release Notes section here.

>>

thanks again for the reply

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

I found the release notes and I found the current release is  1.216720.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Release-Notes-Arlo-Wire-Free-Camera-v1-2-167...

I cannot find any mention of 1.2.21616 which I was pgraded to yesterday.

Am I missing something obvious?

edoy
Aspirant
Aspirant
The same thing happened to me. All my cameras seemed to have drained their batteries more overnight. One camera went from 52% to 24% yesterday when firmware version 1.2.21616 was loaded.
alcat
Luminary
Luminary

I am curious, did you have to revert back to 1.216720 like I did or are you still on 1.2.21616? 

I also had two cameras drain to almost zero also during this update.

I will wait and see what happens tomorrow if yet another upgrade is pushed out.

Something is odd with the recent round of firmware updates. 

edoy
Aspirant
Aspirant
3 of 4 cameras went back to 1.2.16720 automatically. The last one still has 1.2.21616 on it and it is prompting me to update firmware. I'm going to leave it and see what happens.
BigBowzer
Star
Star

The same exact thing happened to my 6 cameras.  Some downgraded automatically, and 3 had me initiate it.  I say downgrade because the numbers indicate the version, and a lower number is an older version.  Not sure whats up, but all cameras are working.

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

I'm confused, my firmware says it's 1.10.0.8.22190

Had to replace my batteries for the third time and today, random recordings. It missed me watering my plants only a few feet away from the camera. It missed me outside at least 3 times today so far. It's become so unreliable! 

BigBowzer
Star
Star

Check your camera's hardware versions.  I have four H7 and two H11 cameras. Look under SETTINGS, DEVICE INFO.  If they don't update and or ask you to initiate the update by clicking on the prompt, the batteries will drain and the recording will be unreliable.  Not that they are perfect.  Mine miss recording motion too.  Wish I knew how to fix that...

BigBowzer
Star
Star

edoy,

The batteries will drain when attempts to update are happening (even if you did not initiate it).  Try bringing the camera closer or having fully charged batteries to complete the update.  I notice mine go bonky below 45% battery power.

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

So your saying I have the wrong firmware? I did look at settings and device info, nothing says to update it. I thought I had the recent version that has been messing up since 6/21/18?

BigBowzer
Star
Star

Are you H7 or H11?  Your Firmware updates for HW versions will depend on the cameras you own.

Are they VMC303n (where n is any digit) ??

Or do you have other cameras?

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

@BigBowzer thanks for your help. My camera is two years old. Camera VMB3010r2 

BigBowzer
Star
Star

OK, that's the base hardare number - VMB3010r2.  My firmware on my base is 1.10.0.8_22190.  Yours is the same as mine.

What are your cameras?  

Mine are VMC303n

My camera hardware number H7 and H11 (I did not purchase them all at the same time) .

My firmware on all my cameras is 1.2.16720

BigBowzer
Star
Star

VMB is for BASE

VMC is for Cameras

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

I am having te same issue 3 days in a row.

10 cameras system.

For 3 days I am prompted to update firmware 

Day 1 prompted to update 10 cameras from 1.216720 to 1.2.21616

Day 2 prompted to update 10 camerasfrom 1.2.21616 to 1.216720

Day 3 prompted to update 8 cameras from 1.216720 to 1.2.21616

Flip-flop between firmware versions

Does anyone know how to escalate issues to Netgear via this community? Or do we need to call them directly?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My 2 original wireless cameras are both H7 and are using firmware 1.2.21616. Can't say whether they ever "updated" to another version and then back.

You need to call and open a case with support. This is a user forum with limited employee interaction.

JKOFROTH
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yesterday I got a message that a Firmware update on all my cameras. I did each of my 7 cameras.After Word the firmware release was 1.2.21720.

Today I got another update request and the firmware went back to 1.2.21616 the version before yesterday’s update.

I did a chat with chat support but I could nort make them understand. By the time I realized what was happening the last camera update was still waiting. I finally gave up and updated the last camera.

I was wondering if anyone else saw this happen?

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yes it did happen . apparently they have no idea what there doing and the firmware saga continues. Its unreal that this incompetence continues
Bubsie76
Aspirant
Aspirant
2days no camera as firmware still uldating. For real? All the $ i paid for these units and still no camera use. Wth
Bubsie76
Aspirant
Aspirant
2 days no
Camera as firmware updatg stoll
JKOFROTH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I read a possible solution to delete and rev add the camera.

if I had known I would have gone with different cameras.

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

yes I have the exact same problem for the last 3 mornings. Waiting to see what tomorrow brings. I am giving them the benefit of the doult that, since this started on a Friday when they have all the players back in the office after the weekend this may get some attention.