Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

solidamber
Guide
Guide
Huawei p10 pro today I can no longer set a custom push notification tone in the Arlo app, the options are still there but it doesn't matter which tone I choose arlo only sounds the standard tone that is set in the android notifcation menu... It was working fine yesterday.. I have deleted and re installed the app with no improvement.
171 REPLIES 171
JJS68
Luminary
Luminary

thank you Susquatch, the apk Arlo 2.6.2_22800 (October 29, 2018) worked for me as well, I set play store not to auto update until I see this is fixed 

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try going through the phone not the app. Settings>Apps>Arlo>notifications>notification>sounds. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@JoeCymru

That option to set the notification in android settings must be new to the newer version of the app, because I still have 2.5.3_22376 and the option to set a notification sound does not show in android settings only in the app.

If Arlo has made a change and now wants us to set a notification sound thru android settings instead of the app they should........

1) Remove the option from the app. A broken option just looks like amateur hour.

2) Have a pop up open in the app on first launch after updating showing you the changes and how to set your sound. I get pop ups from arlo trying to sell me there stuff, which right now with all the issue is not happening. How about some usefull info, instead of ads.

Mike09
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you all so much for the prompt feedback. I was able to go through the setting on my phone and adjust or silence the alert notification. Hopefully Arlo will have this fixed to be able to adjust through the actual app, but this works for now.
THANKS AGAIN ALL, I really appreciate it
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Agree @pc2k17. When I got the new version of the app, the ability to handle notification sounds for Arlo through the phone appeared, but the app itself still had all the notification controls in it, but did nothing when attempted. If Arlo wants the control through the app, fine, but make it work. If not, take it out. Many apps are either way (in the app or through the phone settings), but not both with one disabled.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@JoeCymru

Thanks for the info. I'll have to update my app eventually, so good to know the new app brings that android notifications option.

OldDocX
Guide
Guide

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/netgear-inc-2/arlo/arlo-2-6-2_22800-release/arlo-2-6-2_22800-android-a...

I was able to install this APK and the notifications work again.  Just uninstall your current version first and you may have to adjust your unknown sources and Play Protect settings to get the APK to install (download it and double click on it from your device if you don't know how to install these manually).

I am a brand new user/owner and love the cameras but this is really disappointing that such a key feature of the app is broken and hasn't been fixed.  I develop apps for Android and this isn't something challenging to fix.

While you're at it your Chat button on this site doesn't work either - at least it's not working for me in Internet Explorer or Chrome...

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

jklausen
Aspirant
Aspirant
mikesuth
Tutor
Tutor

This is maddening!  I can't believe Arlo is treating this issue so casually.  The system is BROKEN!  How can we rely on our Arlo system when we can't distinguish between a text message and someone breaking down our front door???

Arlo has been aware of the issue for almost a month now.  Starting to wish I'd bought something else.  They're apparently not serious about security. 

mikesuth
Tutor
Tutor

...and, to top it off, Arlo released an update on Dec 6th that DIDN"T fix the issue!!!  I have to look at my phone for every trivial notification in case it's someone at my front door.  Sheesh!  I need a Xanax!  

Twoot
Guide
Guide
I went to my app settings on my phone then went to notifications on Arlo app and put in a specific sound setting notification there
OldDocX
Guide
Guide
Yes everyone has that's the problem it doesn't work 😉
solidamber
Guide
Guide
Not all phones have the option to change tones per app
Rob108
Aspirant
Aspirant
Dog piling on here. Yep, App has gone fully out-to-lunch.. No ability to set custom notifications on a Pixel (sound selection unavailable in system apps settings) and no notifications unless the phone is awakened. 2.6.5_23400 on a Pixel, Android v.9
OldDocX
Guide
Guide

I'm not aware of many that cannot honestly and I manage over 100 mobile devices of every make model and ilk.  Meanwhile this is an in-app feature that is basically critical to the use of these devices.  Being able to distinguish activity at a camera over the default notification sound of your device is essential.

This feature isn't working on any of my devices with the current version of the app.   I'm sure they are aware of this - I'm just disappointed at the slow response to it.

OldDocX
Guide
Guide

I actually contacted support since I just got this setup but they were of no help whatsoever.  They had me go to my settings and change the default notification sound for the entire phone.  The guy I spoke with had no idea there was a Notification setting in the app itself and even went down a rabbit hole about if I'd setup a custom mode etc.  No - modes don't let you set notification tones (though that would be a nice feature) it just allows you to toggle push notifications on or off.

Like I said in an earlier thread this works with an older version of the app/apk.  It broke with one of the most recent updates.  We need it back please - very important to be able to distinguish from general day to day noise and your security system notification sounds...

Rellis
Star
Star
Same problem on my Galaxy S9+. It is critical that I can set a loud obnoxious notification for Arlo., so it will wake ms up st night
This worked fine until Arlo released an update that broke this feature. I have tried everything including factory resetting my phone. Still doesnt work. There was no Androhd update, no changes to my network, only Arlo was changed when this happened. This is the second time this year that this problem us occurred. As far as I'm concerned, Arlo is junk. If you're thinking of buying one, dont waste your money.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As was recently pointed out to me (who was an unbeliever), a phone with Android 8 or 9 can set a tone in the phone's app settings. Click Notifications and then on the new Notifications (not the on/off slider). In there you can set a different sound.

Rellis
Star
Star
Thank you, that worked, (sort of).. It now plays the custom tone 4 times, with the first three plays interruoted by the next. Oh well, that's much better than nothing.. It's strange that setting the tone from within the Arlo app used to work. Anyway, thank you very much for this solution, I'm in your debt 😁
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not me - thank @JoeCymru for coming up with this and beating me over the head.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There are various threads on multiple tones. Mostly they involve clearing the app cache and data, force stopping the app, turning off Auto restore settings under Cloud and Accounts, Back up and restore, deleting Arlo from the phone, and reinstalling the app. If this is successful in keeping your number of notification sounds per event at one, it will also cause the sound to go back to default so you will need to change it again through the phone. Read some of the fixes in the threads, though. There are a couple of different work arounds and it is worth giving one or more a shot beofre your notifications drive you nuts. One word of caution: You need to make sure Arlo is gone, phone totally clean of it, and that Google will not restore your settings automatically for Arlo, before you reload it, or it will add an additional notification to your four.

Fireball2684
Star
Star

I changed the notification sound in the Android app but it still uses the default sound?

cameraz
Apprentice
Apprentice

I hope Arlo fixes this soon. I used to set my Arlo notification sound different than my email and text sound, so I could easily tell if someone was at my front door. Now I never can differentiate between the three. It's very annoying.

My phone is running Android 8.1.

Hemantlancior
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh Thanks  from my side too 🙂 and also try Lancior. Thanks