Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom Mode only one to have "Add Rule" button?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

I just got a third camera (Arlo Pro), and I'm making sure I understand rules properly. (via the web interface)

The "custom" mode (currently called the default "All Motion On") is the only one that allows you to have multiple triggers?   This is the only mode that I see that has the "Add Rule" button at the bottom.

If so, it all seems a bit counter-intuitive.  I would think all the modes should allow you to add/configure the triggers as you see fit.

(Also, when entering the Custom Mode to view it, the only option is "Delete Mode", this is just bad GUI design.  There should be a "Cancel" option)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You have to go to Modes, use at bottom ADD a Mode, name it whatever....

add your first camera A

set it to sense A, record A

set time and  sense levels

review and SAVE

Now go back to the new Mode and EDIT for the second cam

add sense B, record B... Repeat time and sense

Now repeat as needed

sense A, Record C

sense B, record C

when done you should have 4 rules in the new mode...use it and check the running man in live view for black on cam A and B

ps... All MOTION ON  is from the old SW...if you did updates that's why it's there...it's better to delete that old mode as it cause problems back then when left 

hope this helps

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You have a problem with your system. The default rules these days are Armed and Disarmed. All Motion On is a very old mode that causes issues with the newer firmware. The best thing to do is to reset the system by removing all devices from Settings, My Devices. Use the Add Device button in the Devices tab to add the base and sync the cameras. You may get prompted to update your firmware - if so, do that before anything else. Check Settings, My Devices for any device with a red triangle, meaning an update is available. You can try to update manually in that device's settings or wait overnight for the automatic update to occur.

You should now have the new default modes. Armed is in by default but I suggest adding your own custom mode so things are set to your liking and under your control.
StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

Just to clarify, my Base station has the following Modes:

- Armed

- Disarmed

- Schedule

- GeoFencing (Only accessible via Mobile)

- All Motion On

Now I've only ever used "Armed" and "Disarmed" to control my prior 2 original Arlos.  But these modes lack the "Add Rule" option anywhere visible that I can see.  However, the "All Motion On" does have that option.

FYI:

HW VersionVMB3010r2

Firmware1.8.1.1_10234

So you have the "Add Rule" option on all your Modes?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ARMED does not have add a rule as by default any camera added  is installed in it... no need to add more to it.

Also , its not a good idea to edit it as it is a way of allowing the system to work reguardless of what users do.

You are better off making a CUSTOM Mode by copying the default Armed and then you can edit it all you want.

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

TomMac,

In that case I must be doing it the wrong way.

I have 3 Cameras, and here's what I want to happen.

Any Motion by Camera A, I want to record on Camera A & Camera C

Any Motion on Camera B, I want to record on Camera B &  Camera C

(As you can tell, Camera C only records when triggered by A or B)

So how would I do that by creating a custom mode,  if it doesn't let me add rules?  All it lets me do is setup one recorded action based on a trigger.

Once again, the only mode that allows me to have one trigger, create multiple cameras recording is the "All Motion On"

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You have to go to Modes, use at bottom ADD a Mode, name it whatever....

add your first camera A

set it to sense A, record A

set time and  sense levels

review and SAVE

Now go back to the new Mode and EDIT for the second cam

add sense B, record B... Repeat time and sense

Now repeat as needed

sense A, Record C

sense B, record C

when done you should have 4 rules in the new mode...use it and check the running man in live view for black on cam A and B

ps... All MOTION ON  is from the old SW...if you did updates that's why it's there...it's better to delete that old mode as it cause problems back then when left 

hope this helps

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

What the heck.  It works as you described.  Not sure what I was stumbling over yesterday.  Maybe I wasn't attempting to save and then re-enter to edit to add additional rules.   Based on my experience, I'm guessing the process could be a bit smoother..such as allowing the addition of additional rules without having to go out and back into it again.

Anyways..thanks for the step by step..that overcame whatever I was doing wrong.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't matter... you got it now.