Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Critique and help improve mr prospective placement of cameras

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Tech_fan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to cover my front yard, side yards and backyard. However, I want some feedback as to possible camera placement for my front yard. Attached is a diagram with prospective camera placement. I initially tried with 1 camera but, was not able to get desired results because of the size of the driveway which is about 50 feet long by 25 feet wide. So I am considering a 2 camera placement. 

Also, how will the camera hold up under direct sun when the temperature during the day can reach 115 during the peak of the summer? 

IMG_0810.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only way to know is to temp mount ( use duc tape / 3 m strips ets ) and test...

If that doesn't work, and if possible, I'd flip the cams as in the pic below.

Three things, 1) don't try to cover to much area... 25 ft out is about the max I've seen work well with the sensor 2) Try and make motion cross the FOV as the sensors are more sensitive on the side edges / corners ( and cross motion )  3) don't mount to high ( yes, out of normal reach ) above 7 up to to 9ft seems to capture well

After this , it's a test - trial - error for the best captures.  I have pretty good response and I get a person about 4 steps into the picture , so adjust your shot accordingly to still get faces.

PS.. what may also work for you is to swap the sense of the cams... Sense on cam A, record on B / Sense on B, record on A ( so the person is walking into the camera )

original.jpg

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only way to know is to temp mount ( use duc tape / 3 m strips ets ) and test...

If that doesn't work, and if possible, I'd flip the cams as in the pic below.

Three things, 1) don't try to cover to much area... 25 ft out is about the max I've seen work well with the sensor 2) Try and make motion cross the FOV as the sensors are more sensitive on the side edges / corners ( and cross motion )  3) don't mount to high ( yes, out of normal reach ) above 7 up to to 9ft seems to capture well

After this , it's a test - trial - error for the best captures.  I have pretty good response and I get a person about 4 steps into the picture , so adjust your shot accordingly to still get faces.

PS.. what may also work for you is to swap the sense of the cams... Sense on cam A, record on B / Sense on B, record on A ( so the person is walking into the camera )

original.jpg

Morse is faster than texting!
Tech_fan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I will try those suggestions.