Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
CKWatson
Aspirant
Aspirant

All,

I can't find this information anywhere.

Signal strength symbol shows 1, 2, or 3 bars to indicate strength of connection to the base station.  Usually they are all dark (black), but what does a single bar colored ORANGE mean?

Why does and what does the "little man" changing from dark to "greyed out" mean?

I am not at the location of the cameras so I cannot visually check the lights on the base station.  When I select "LIVE" on the latest view one of a number of things happens: The request "times out," or just sits for about one minute and then the picture returns to the latest capture, but will not "go live."  I "restarted" the base station remotely to see if that would change things but nothing different except now one of my cameras stays "off-line" that had been "online" before the restart.

Not complaining, but just curious about what things mean and why they occur.  I am surprised that a camera that shows a high charge level (70-90%) will suddenly go to less than 20%.  The cameras never seems to show 30 or 40 or 50% - just suddenly are depleted and need to be changed.

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Why does and what does the "little man" changing from dark to "greyed out" mean?

That's an easy one... Black running man means the cam is ARMED to detect motion, gray means it's not armed

Not sure about the amber single bar on signal ( new fw change (?) to mean to far ?  )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

CKWatson,

A single bar indicates the signal is weak. This could be why you are experiencing the issues you describe. Consider relocating the base station closer to the camera or the camera closer to the base station to alleviate the issue.

JamesC

CKWatson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

Changing the location substantially is not really possible to get the coverage I want (exteroir back [2], side [1], & front [1]).  Having said that, two of the cameras showing only one bar are closer although outside than others farther away.

And again, I wonder what the COLOR of the bars means.  Of the two cameras I just referneced, one has a dark single bar and the other an orange single bar.  Could the color (orange - ti's the same color as a low battery) mean it's on the low end of a single bar and dark means it's still okay, just weak?

I just wish documentation was better about all these aspects of Arlo, especially since computer programming is involved.  Hopefully the programmers put some "remarks" statments in their work to explain what things mean.