Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Changing network name / SSID

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
gsicam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just bought a new Netgear Nighthawk X10 7200 router to get better wifi range in my house.  I connected base station to ethernet port; and all my arlos are just working fine (connected via base wirelessly).  I noticed that there are certain spots in my house where the base wifi range is not acceptable.   I do know that my Nighthawk X10 has good range at every area in my house; and would prefer to have some of my arlos connectiving via my Nighthawk wifi (rather than base station).

Can I change the network name (SSID) for my arlos so that they (or some) are connecting to my Nighthawk wifi (instead of base)?   I looked at my device settings for each arlo; and did not find a way to change the network name/SSID (not unless I missed something).

Please advise.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Won't work. The sync process requires not only the SSID but also the unknown passphrase/key.

gsicam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thx.  So does this mean that in order for me to get decent coverage in spotty/remote areas of my house..that i may need to add another base or multiple bases ..then add/manage the arlos within decent or close range to the base(s) ?  Luckily, I have my house wired with ethernet ports in almost every room.  I really did not want to drop more $ on bases, and really preferred to leverage my nighthawk x10.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's currently no router with the capability to be used as a base station. It requires at least additional firmware. Which routers may get this and when is an open question. Right now the only answer is a second base to get the coverage you need unless repositioning the existing base would help.