Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
ArloNewbie
Follower
Follower

Are Arlo cameras qualified to work with Rechargeable batteries? If so, what differences (if any) can I expect with performance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would like to thank you for your posts and contributions! I want to make sure you take a look at an article outlining best practices when it comes to batteries. For those involved in this discussion I encourage you to review Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries along with BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

We strongly recommend using one of the following types of batteries:

• The non-rechargeable batteries supplied with your Arlo Wire-Free cameras
  • Tenergy Li-Ion RCR123A 3.7V 650mAh rechargeable batteries specifically marked “Works with Arlo”
  • Non-rechargeable batteries from other high quality, established, well-known manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell®

NEVER try to recharge the C123A batteries that came with your Arlo camera as they are non-rechargeable.

Thank you for sharing! 

JamesC

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
ArloTeam
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Hello ArloNewbie,

Yes, Arlo cameras support the use of non-rechargeable and rechargeable C123A batteries. Keep in mind, rechargeable batteries may need to be recharged/changed more frequently than non-rechargeable due to a reduced voltage which is a common characteristic of rechargeable batteries. A possible advantage of using rechargeable batteries is the ability to recharge the batteries more times creating a longer period of time before the batteries have to actually be replaced.

Thank you for your interest in Arlo Smart Home Security System.

Arlo Team

eislon
Tutor
Tutor

Do the batteries need a specific Strenght or is any rechargeble battery (CR123A) an option?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Long story;  ( short version at end)

Netgear says rechargeables are G2G ( good to go ) in theArlo camera.

123 rechargeables come in 3v versions and 3.6-3.7v versions

That said,  it hasn't been mention anywhere I know of if you can use the higher voltage rechareables in the 123 format.

The 123 format cells as regular batteries are normally at 3.2v +/- new with a stated voltage of 3v running and capacity of aprox 1500-1600mahr

( mind that brand new will test at about 3.24v and the higher rating for mahr, the longer the battery will last )

Rechargeables in 3v 123 format will usu have a mahr rating of less than a non-rechargeables, but I have seen some that equal or excede the rating of non-rechargeables.... also the voltage of a rechargeable will be usu higher by a few tenths of a v as they come off charge so a rechargeable right off charge may come in at 3.6v+/- but this voltage drops very quickly to the operating voltage so I don't think it's a problem.

The rechargeables may have to be changed out slighty more often as they may have less mahr rating and remember that rechargeables do have a very fast drop off in voltage at the end of the charged life use ( so when you get a warning for low battery it wil mean change asap )

So I would advise you to buy

1) a name brand rechargeable  @ 3v   

2) highest mahr rating on the battery

Short story;

So for now ( untill Netgear says it's ok ) I would go with the 3v 123 format.

hope this helps answer your question

PS to Netgear ; will the rechargeable 3.6-3.7v format 123 cells damage the Arlo cams or will the high voltage off charge (4.2-4.4v) be outside of the max voltage specs??

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TomMac wrote:

So I would advise you to buy

1) a name brand rechargeable  @ 3v   

2) highest mahr rating on the battery

Short story;

So for now ( untill Netgear says it's ok ) I would go with the 3v 123 format.

PS to Netgear ; will the rechargeable 3.6-3.7v format 123 cells damage the Arlo cams or will the high voltage off charge (4.2-4.4v) be outside of the max voltage specs??

If if was possible to EDIT an old post I would to the last messg;

1) The 3.7v rechargeables have been OK'ed by Netgear as good to go and actually seem to work better than the 3.0v rechargeable

2) The 3.0v  LiFEPO4 cells seem NOT to work well and from reports go down after a few days of use

Recommending at this point for a rechargeable;

Highest rated mahr rechargeable from a 'KNOWN' manufacturer ( china cells are vastly over rated ) in a 3.7v Li-Ion format of the ones tested that fit ( some don't )

IanTurpin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone have a recommendation of which rechargable batteries work well with the Arlo System?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

read this thread among others;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargable-battery-usage-vs-time-by-type-post-...

IIRR, the best overall preforming cells were Eagletec and Nightcore,   the above thread also has the seller listed.

Just know if your planning heavy use or within spec ( 4 min / day ) before

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would like to thank you for your posts and contributions! I want to make sure you take a look at an article outlining best practices when it comes to batteries. For those involved in this discussion I encourage you to review Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries along with BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

We strongly recommend using one of the following types of batteries:

• The non-rechargeable batteries supplied with your Arlo Wire-Free cameras
  • Tenergy Li-Ion RCR123A 3.7V 650mAh rechargeable batteries specifically marked “Works with Arlo”
  • Non-rechargeable batteries from other high quality, established, well-known manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell®

NEVER try to recharge the C123A batteries that came with your Arlo camera as they are non-rechargeable.

Thank you for sharing! 

JamesC

springcreek
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just stareted using #V LI-ion 650mAh CR123 rechargable batteries in my Arlo cameras but they only seem to be lasting approximately 2 weeks before needing a recharge?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

springcreek wrote:

I have just stareted using #V LI-ion 650mAh CR123 rechargable batteries in my Arlo cameras but they only seem to be lasting approximately 2 weeks before needing a recharge?

Unknown to me...do you have a link ??  What voltage ??

If they are 3.7v Li-ion @ 650mahr  then in normal use they should run at least 45-55 days.  Remember that normal use isn't heavy record time but in spec about 4-5 mins per day.

Of course heavy usage will drain any battery in a short time.

springcreek
Aspirant
Aspirant
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

springcreek wrote:

Hi they are only 3volt link below

http://www.jaycar.com.au/rechargeable-3v-lithium-ion-cr123a-battery/p/SB2411

Thanks

That's the reason for short usage... the 3v cells don't work as well as the 3.7 li-ion

( you were reading an old thread from mid 2015 and there is no way to delete/edit the old info )

Here's the newer info in a nutshell;

To all new people thinking of using rechargeables....

First is to at least read the last ten pages of the main thread we're posting in now.... Most of the newer info is there.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargeable-batteries-for-use-with-Arlo-camera...

As to everything else, it comes down to just a few tips;

Crap batteries are one of the reasons Netgear changed their minds about recommending rechargeables ( prob the most important reason ) in the Arlos.  To many china cells or counterfeit and/or many without circuit protection from over drain - over charge.  They don't want any major problem like possible fires, etc ( think of those roller things that were catching on fire or replacement batteries in phones in pockets overheating )

Basic rules:

1) Stay with the known tested KNOWN brands that have been tested by other users as there are size variances  allowed ( some may not fit )( there are 3-4 brands used/tested by most users ) In the real world the small differences can go one way or the other base on usage. These batteries have been well vetted.

Basicly stay away from china cells that are a bargin, cause they're not if a fire starts

2) any 123/16340 cell rated over 750mahr is to be suspect as you can't get more chems in that size package to produce more ( just plain don't fit )

3) the li-ion 3.7 v cells are the ones tested that work the best ( battery algorithm optimized for those and OEM 3.2 primary cells back in 2015 )

4) LifePO4 type cells for some reason don't work well, same with 3v rechargeable

5) MAKE SURE the cells contain a protection curcuit for over charge/discharge

6) make sure you use the proper charger

bgasbury
Aspirant
Aspirant

I started using rechargeable batteries for my Arlos several months ago.  Its cold out now (below zero at night) and the batteries are only lasting a day or two.  Is that normal?  Should I go back to 'regular' batteries for my outside Arlos?  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

bgasbury wrote:

I started using rechargeable batteries for my Arlos several months ago.  Its cold out now (below zero at night) and the batteries are only lasting a day or two.  Is that normal?  Should I go back to 'regular' batteries for my outside Arlos?  

How cold are we talking?

And yes, as it gets colder, the li-ion do get a voltage sag that makes them appear low....

I've run mine in weather down to 0f, and tho they appeared pretty low they continued to function.

As to what is better, tough call,  tho i do think the primary OEM cells will produce/last longer in the real cold just on the fact of greater capacity.

If able, do some of the  cameras with OEM and let everyone else know your findings

jazzb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have bought a few different brands of rechargeable cr123 and have had NO luck with Arlo. I have charged batteries tested them on one camera, fully charged battery goes in and a day later my Arlo says battery is depleted. I tested the battery with a multimeter before and after Arlo says they are dead. Battery going in is reading over 4v going in, and 4v leaving, I have tested the batteries in another device after use, and they still have full charge.

Even after placing a support ticket with Arlo, they gave me no reply after 3 - 4 weeks. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jazzb wrote:

I have bought a few different brands of rechargeable cr123 and have had NO luck with Arlo. I have charged batteries tested them on one camera, fully charged battery goes in and a day later my Arlo says battery is depleted. I tested the battery with a multimeter before and after Arlo says they are dead. Battery going in is reading over 4v going in, and 4v leaving, I have tested the batteries in another device after use, and they still have full charge.

Even after placing a support ticket with Arlo, they gave me no reply after 3 - 4 weeks. 

What name , brand, type of batteries did you use... link ?

There are many rechargeables, some just don't work well , but the right ones do.

There are MANY fake cells out there from china that are VERY overrated in capacity too

Netgear does support and recommends a charger and 4 li-ion cells that work well ( sold on Amazon and other sites )