Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Tad
Star
Star

my hub is at one end of my house and I need camera's at the other end.  Can I use a range extender like an AC750?

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Good question...  thinking tho that the cameras have a range of (line of sight) of 300+ feet and they operate on 2.4ghz 802.11n it should ( educated guess )

Edit;  prob not... checking specs, its not a repeater but an extender which sets up its own sub network... the cameras must connect to the base network

Sounds like a question up the pay scale to Netgear themselves.

For large houses, multiple bases can be used to 1) expand range 2) more cameras (up to 15 ) with the correct service level

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Tad
Star
Star

I'm getting good video from the camera but only 2 bars on wifi meter.  This camera also is reporting low battery only after 2 days where my other with full signal is showing full battery, both outside.  I thought maybe the low signal was the problem

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It is possible thats the answer... If you don't mind losing a set of batteries, you could just swap one of the cameras and see if if happens again. That would at least eleiminate a problem with the camera.

see this ;

The number of bars in the signal strength relates directly to performance.

The more bars there are, the better the performance (and longer battery life**).

clipped from full answer;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-Do-I-Interpret-my-Arlo-Camera-s-Signal-Stre...

Tad
Star
Star

Had a brainfart and rotated the base station to face the direction of the camera.  Now instead of 2 bars red I have 3 bars green. Will wait and see if this helps. Thanks Tom for your answers.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

great..hope it solves the problem....

Tho, I'd still ask the question of Netgear re repeater setup

Tad
Star
Star

Update.  Seems like the camera was subject to the cold weather glitch.  Warmed it up restarted and now full battery also up to 4 bars!  Guess I will be running up and down a ladder until the weather warms up or netgear fixes it. 

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good morning Tad,

I am glad to know the issue is at least identified. I have been assured that we will be releasing firmware again in the very near future. If you haven't already done so, "enable auto update FW" option under Base Station Settings to automatically get the update downloaded as soon as it becomes available.

When the firmware is available release notes will be posted in the release notes section.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Best Regards,

Christine

Arlo Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
cheryltbarnes
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you connect multiple bases? If they all plug into the same router, how does that extend range? The range extender doesn't work even though it has an ethernet port? 

Thank you!

Mikey94025
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Tad said:

Had a brainfart and rotated the base station to face the direction of the camera. 

Thanks for this suggestion -- This seems to have helped my setup too, where one camera (furthest away and up a couple levels) was reporting bad wireless signal.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

cheryltbarnes wrote:

How do you connect multiple bases? If they all plug into the same router, how does that extend range? The range extender doesn't work even though it has an ethernet port? 

Use a longer eithernet cable ( good for 100m ) or a second wifi/switch system in you home if you have one. Some have use ranger extenders on the site, so type/brand may be important.

SteveUK808
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. I have one camera at the front of my house that occasionally jumps up to 3 or 4 bars in signal strength but it usually stays at around 1 bar I've replaced the batteries so they are 100% but we have some cold weather and the camera is at the very front of the house is this the result have bad weather meaning that I only get 1 bar on the  camera for signal strength?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It can be but there are other things that can get in there. Battery chemistry reduces the output as it gets colder. However, as long as the voltage and current supply are adequate, I'd think the signal would remain relatively constant. I'd be looking at other possible sources of WiFi interference including perhaps a neighbor's WiFi. It may jsu be better to reduce the distance between the base and camera. You can try simply rotating the base to see if a better signal can be had continuously without adversely affecting the other cameras. Otherwise, a long Ethernet cable or a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port so you can put move the base away from the router may be the answer. The long cable may be the cheap and easy way to figure that out. You don't necessarily have to use it permanently unless you have a way to route it conveniently.

TJune
Aspirant
Aspirant

To extend battery life, go to Settings, My Devices, choose each camera, Video Settings, and under Power Management select "Best Battery Life." This may make the images a bit grainy but my batteries last for months in this mode.