Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
yellowraregt
Guide
Guide

I'm looking to set my wireless camaras up with different rules.  So I have one inside my house that I want to set on a schedule (10pm to 4am) and geofence when I leave the house.  Then I have 2 outside that I want on when they detect motion but I want them in that state 24/7.  Is it possible to divide these like this?  If not, how come Netgear hasn't figured this out yet!!  I really don't want to buy 3 base stations to run 3 camaras!

11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

yellowraregt,

This can be done by setting up a custom mode along with using the schedule feature. You would set your schedule to "Armed" (contains rules for all cameras inside and outside) for the desired hours where you want all cameras recording. You would then create a custom mode containing rules for the desired cameras (outside) and schedule that custom mode during all other hours.

For more information on how to create a custom mode, see here: How do I create a mode to assign different actions to each camera?

For more information on how to utilize the schedule feature, see here: How do I configure and use the Schedule option?

JamesC

yellowraregt
Guide
Guide

Not certain you understood my question. 

2 Outside Cameras, want them on auto-detect all the time

1 Inside Camera, I want it to Geofence when I leave the house, but also to be on during a scheduled time (11pm to 4am M-F and 11pm to 6am Sat and Sun)

Can this be done?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't geofence and schedule at the same time. GF sets a mode and the schedule set the same or another mode as you choose.

yellowraregt
Guide
Guide

I'm very disappointed that Netgear didn't take this into account.  What good are 3 cameras?  I need my inside camera to geofence when I'm gone and motion detect when I'm home during the night....sad that they didn't think of this.  Guess this system was not for me.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Something's not getting translated here.  You need modes and rules for any setup.  Based on what you've said, you need a new mode with one rule for the inside camera and another with 3 rules for all cameras.  Enable geofencing and select the mode for only the inside camera to be active when away. Select the other mode for all cameras for when you're home.  If desired, set up the schedule so that the all cameras mode is available during certain hours and use that (schedule) instead of the actual mode.

It's easily done.

yellowraregt
Guide
Guide

jguerdat wrote:

Something's not getting translated here.  You need modes and rules for any setup.  Based on what you've said, you need a new mode with one rule for the inside camera and another with 3 rules for all cameras.  Enable geofencing and select the mode for only the inside camera to be active when away. Select the other mode for all cameras for when you're home.  If desired, set up the schedule so that the all cameras mode is available during certain hours and use that (schedule) instead of the actual mode.

It's easily done.

I cannot figure out how to run 2 modes together.  So let me try to clarify this again.  I have the 3 camera system.  2 are outside, I want them to auto-detect motion all the time 24/7.  As I'm retired, I want my inside camera to be off when I'm home, but I want it on (geofencing auto-detect motion I presume) when I leave the house and on (auto-detect motion) during the nightime hours when I sleep.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do this as it won't let me set 2 modes!  If this is possible, then Netgear needs to make these options MUCH less confusing!!  I thought the system only runs the rule that has the dot selected next to that rule....am I incorrect?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't run 2 modes together.  You create modes with rules that match a particular situation and schedule those consecutively.

You need two modes.  Let's call them Day and Night.  Day would have rules for only the 2 outside cameras.  Night will have rules for all 3. Schedule Night from, say 12:00 AM to 7:00 AM and again from 10:00 PM till 11:59 PM.  Add the Day mode from 7:01 AM till 9:59 PM.  Now all cameras are on at night but only the outside ones during the day.  Any camera that does not have a rule will be disarmed.

JaneD59
Initiate
Initiate

Jguerdat, as a super user, it would be great if you could be more clear and step-by-step in your answers.

JaneD59
Initiate
Initiate

It's unfortunate that Netgear's explanation of how rules and modes work together is very poor even though this scenario is surely very common among users. And they use the word "mode" to mean too many different things.

I'll take you through how I did what you are asking. I just set it up tonight so we'll see how well it works when I leave the house at some point tomorrow.

First, I went to the Mode list and clicked the edit icon next to Armed. I set up both of my cameras to detect motion, record it and notify me. Then I added a custom mode for when I want the outside camera armed and the inside camera disarmed. On the Mode list page, I selected Add a Mode, and on the next screen named it Day (because I may eventually use Schedule mode if Geofence doesn't work well).

The next screen is Trigger Device, but in my mind it should say Make a Rule since otherwise the user doesn't understand how this is all going to work together. This is where I started making the first (and only) rule for the Day mode. I selected my outdoor camera and then went through the steps regarding motion detection, recording and notifications. Then I ended up back at the Modes list. I did not go back and add a rule for my indoor camera. If jaguerdat is correct, this means the indoor camera will be disarmed while in Day mode since there is no rule covering it. You would need to go back and make another rule for your second outdoor camera, identical to the first outdoor camera.

Now for the geofencing part. I went back to the Modes list and selected the edit icon for geofencing. After setting up my address and checking that Details was set up correctly, I went to Select Mode. For Away Mode, I selected Armed, so that inside and outside cameras will be armed. And for Home Mode, I selected my custom Day mode so only my outside camera will be armed. Then I left Geofencing selected in the Modes list. Now, my outside camera will be armed all the time and my inside camera will be armed only when I am away, if geofencing works as it should.

If you decide you want to use scheduling instead of geofencing for whatever reason, this is how I set it up before I figured out the geofencing thing. Maybe you've already got this part down, but just in case.... My goal was to have only the outside camera armed from 10:00am - 1:30am (I'm a night owl) and then have both inside and outside armed from 1:30am - 10:00am. 

Back on the Mode list, I clicked the edit icon next to Schedule. I then clicked the + sign in the upper left corner. In the new pop-up window, I clicked the side arrow on the Mode line and chose Day. I selected all of the days Sun-Sat from 12:00am - 1:29am. After clicking Done, I clicked + again, and this time chose Armed. I set it to run Sun-Sat from 1:30am - 10:00am. I clicked Done and +, and set it once more for Sun-Sat 10:01am-11:59pm. I've now covered all 24 hrs. I clicked Done and Done. I then left Schedule selected. This should mean that my outdoor camera runs 24/7 and my indoor camera runs only between 1:30 - 10am.

I hope that helps!

beershaun
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks! This was a great lesson! I didn't realize how flexible geofencing could be. This is exactly what I wanted to do! One additional feature request. Would like to set a schedule with day and night mode rules in geofencing. 

Meaning:

1) Select geofencing mode.

A)when away custom mode away with siren on rule.

B) when home.

i)schedule Disarmed mode from 6am-10:30pm.

ii)Schedule custom home night armed mode from 10:30pm to 6am (actual schedule would be 10:30pm-11:59pm and 12:00am to 6am).

Is this possible?

beershaun
Tutor
Tutor

For folks who may find the modes vs. rules confusing, I found that the user interface on the web interface at arlo.netgear.com does a better job of visualizing how you can apply rules in each mode than the mobile app interface does. 

For example I did not realize that I could specify custom modes in the schedule mode until in the "+Add" section I saw the ">" button next to the "Armed" mode on the web interface. This then opened up the list of modes I could select for a give schedule window.