Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Redfish908
Guide
Guide
I spent the morning installing a new arlo system with two cameras. Both cameras have the same problem, no motion activation beyond 3 feet. I have run the test on both cameras and both function the same. The setting on the cameras from 10 to 100% can be measured in 12 inches.
13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Your not trying to use them thru glass windows are you?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Redfish908
Guide
Guide

Thanks for your assistance.

No they are not shooting through glass.  I have tried them in several locations, ran test, I have read everything I can find about them.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check all firmware versions and compare with what's posted in the Release Notes section here.

It might be worth resetting the system and start fresh.  Remove all devices in Settings, My Devices.  Use the Add Device button in the Devices tab to add the base and sync the cameras.  Any luck?

Redfish908
Guide
Guide

Thanks

I turned the base station on and off

I deleted both units

I synced both units.

Both units still have poor motion detection - 5 to 6 feet with abnormal movement - and consistant operation with normal person movement at 4 feet.

Checking of firmware version but both units were updated when first synced.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you also check the camera firmware?

Post screenshots of the camera views. Maybe it's just positioning.  Check the FAQs here for complete directions. 

Redfish908
Guide
Guide

Yes, It is 1.2.11810 on both cameras.  My understanding is that the last update is 1.2.11811.  It should have updated when if synced them this last time.  I don't know how to tell what the operating system is on the router.  I do know that it updated the cameras orginally.

What will the pictures tell you?  They are perfectly and clear.  The cameras function perfectly with good range when activated.  It is just that one has to be very close to make them auto activate.  I have tired both of them in many, many different locations with no real change,  I have run the test on each one of them which turend out very poor, less than 2 feet.  I have changed the percentage and nothing has changed on both cameras.. I think I have elimanated he location because I have tried them everywhere.  If you need a picture I will capture one and attach it after I figure out how to do it.

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My cameras are on 1.2.11810 and that's the same as what's posted in Release Notes here.

The idea of the screenshots is to verify positioning.  Lots of folks have thought they had the cameras set up right but found they worked much better when repositioned. Use the Photos icon just above the text box when replying or post a link.

Redfish908
Guide
Guide

I have changed the positions of the cameras many, many, many times with no change in motion detection distance.  I have also swapped the two cameras.  Both cameras have only a 5 foot max where-ever located?

I have the two cameras placed to alert andI am presently using them.  At this point with the motion range available I have no confidece that they will proide any useful service.  I think my best bet is to make two signs that say "please place face three feet from camera and jump up and down", or just write the system off for safety and protection use. 

I am confident that placemet and settings are not the problem.  This is a equipment problem.  I have contected arlo, but, they are really no responding to my problem and have just been giving stock replies.

Thanks for you assistance.  I will leave this to the company.

Finchwizard
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cant comment on the Pros but the regular Arlos are HORRIBLE with motion detection.

Most of my videos are people walking out the frame with nothing else in there.

And that's pointing directly at my door where nothing in the frame moves.

It's just not a great system as far as I can tell.

They should be replacing all the standard Arlos with Arlo Pros if they're this defective and people trying to stick with the system.

Redfish908
Guide
Guide

I agree.  The system is useless for safety and security. 

Redfish908
Guide
Guide

I have been working on this system for five days now

After contacts with the company and trying, with their help, to get the cameras functioning as advertised the company representative simply told me that my router did not have enough upload speed and that the system would not work.

My upload speed is 20 times the required 1M.  It doesn't make sense that every function of the camera system is excellent except motion detection distance.

At any rate I am though with this piece of junk.  It looks good, the program works fine, the camera range and recording are good.  The auto sensor system is useless making the system worthless for security and safety.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the assistance attempted.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Camera position can be a factor in motion detection performance. It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

Take a look at the tips in these articles to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance:

How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

How do I position my Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera?

JamesC

Finchwizard
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's utter nonsense.

I've got mine pointed at my house from the front gate, which is 4-5meters max away.

People have to walk past the camera, around 30 centimeters away from it.

I can have people walk past the camera, goto the front door, knock and as they're leaving back past the camera it'll record them just as they're leaving at times.

Other times, I can have people walk out the front door, which is a large change in the scene, and again, it'll capture them leaving just as they're legs are walking out the frame.

It's just the WORST motion detection system. Luckily my other branded cameras allows me to setup proper zones and monitor and record a buffer either side as well.

**EDIT** 

Can I also point out you want us to follow very strict "Setup" options for "Best performance" (Of which they're still rubbish cameras, the Pros might of improved on the dodgy design of the originals)

But the ENTIRE point of WIREFREE cameras, is they're in awkward positions tha twe can't put normal cameras, so to expect us to put them in areas for perfect conditions to detect motion is absurd.