Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
titicaca
Aspirant
Aspirant

anyone please tell me what do I need to do to keep my cameras online? I moved base station as recommended and connected it to an extender. I thought that had solved my issues but I woke up and all my cameras are offline. Do I need to get more extenders? ( Ihave a Netgear Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi Range Extender) More bases? 3 of 4 cameras were showing 100% connectivity only one had 2 bars and they just keep going offline. Any suggestions would be appreciated......

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@titicaca wrote:

anyone please tell me what do I need to do to keep my cameras online? I moved base station as recommended and connected it to an extender. I thought that had solved my issues but I woke up and all my cameras are offline. 

The next time it happens, can you check to see if the extender is still extending your network?

One way to check is to look at the attached devices list in the router, and make sure that the base station is still in the list. 

If you know how to use ping, you could also ping the base from a PC connected to your router.

titicaca
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is a little too advanced for me Stephen. I do know how to ping but I have no idea where to find IP address from extender to ping it. I assume extender is there as when I reset cameras. they do work for a bit. I dont know how to access the router from PC.  I looked at the network settings in my PC and I did not see any devices in there.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@titicaca wrote:

That is a little too advanced for me Stephen. I do know how to ping but I have no idea where to find IP address from extender to ping it. I assume extender is there as when I reset cameras. they do work for a bit. I dont know how to access the router from PC.  I looked at the network settings in my PC and I did not see any devices in there.

One aspect is that you are saying that all four cameras are going offline together.  Normally that's a clue that it's really the base station that is going offline.  One common issue that shows up in the Netgear forum is that extenders sometimes do drop their connection to the main router (and stop extending).  

Normally you access the router through it's web ui (often https://192.168.1.1 ).  What router model do you have?

Another possibility is to look at the LED status on the base station the next time the problem happens. https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

titicaca
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought I had provided extender info. This is what I have.. NETGEAR  EX7300-100NAR Nighthawk AC2200 Plug-in WiFi Range Extender. I will check the base when this happens. I moved 2 cameras to the same room where router is and they have been ok for most of the day today. I have already invested a lot on this system and would like to have it working as it should...I thank you again Stephen for your assistance.

titicaca
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, I am going to try the following. Moving extender closer to router, then getting a long cable and connecting base station to extender between cameras and extender. I will keep trying as again I already have a lot invested in this system......

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Is it practical to run a cat-6 cable between the router and the base (instead of the extender)?

You can find 50 or even 100 foot lengths of flat cable for less than $20 online.

titicaca
Aspirant
Aspirant

My thoughts are that the extender acts as a "router". So I install extender where it will not loose signal from router and then attach base closer to cameras that would alleviate the loosing signal issues. Where base would also be getting a good signal from extender and closer to cameras. I have already purchased cables. I will try both ways then report back.  Any input would be appreciated.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@titicaca wrote:

My thoughts are that the extender acts as a "router". So I install extender where it will not lose signal from router and then attach base closer to cameras that would alleviate the losing signal issues.

That will work, as long as the extender is doing it's job (as it should).

ymaw
Tutor
Tutor

I have a similar problem where cameras keep going off line.

I have a standard Arlo wireless kit with 3 cameras.

HW Version - VMB4000r3

Firmware -1.15.0.1_3162_d878851

The system has worked pretty well ok for 12 months however the last month or so its been very erratic.

I keep having to re-sync the cameras, pretty much once a week.

Its very frustrating, so much so i will be getting rid of this system and move to something else !!!!

titicaca
Aspirant
Aspirant

At least its every week for you. Anyway I was able to get 2 cameras "working" It all seem to have to do with loosing connectivity. I am still playing around with extender and base to see what location would be best. I think I am going to have to invest more and get another base station for the other 2 cameras.........

Dbgolfnski
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have same problem, recent occurrences of going off line once a week. I noticed it soon after the application update and maybe related firmware a couple of kinths ago. Tonight I will change set up to eliminate the Google Wifi mesh and do a direct connect. Hopefully that will help.