Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera won't record

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice
Every time the apps update my cameras seem to need to be reset

Now I can see them I can do live view but they won’t turn on and record for motion. I’ve re synced them, powered down base, and live view,changed batteries and walked around with them. Neither camera activate with motion. But both do live view. They are set for 100% sensitivity.

This usually always happens after app update and I usually go reset back to both my cameras and I’m good not this time
37 REPLIES 37
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are the running men for each camera gray or black? Gray means they're disarmed. Check your modes to verify that the proper one is selected.

coyotealarm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Being new to community, my experience each time there is a download offline exists.  The past two times, if left alone after alerting Netgear, it will eventually be repaired by Netgear without wasting our time trying to fix what havic the update created.

Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice
It’s bull. I don’t just have it for security I have it as I’m Deaf. I need the alerts. I’m glad I’m not the only one who has issues after the app updates. Which is insane. I’ve done everything that’s worked in the past and since they are connected to the base it has to be that issue so frustrating.
Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice
I posted a picture they are exactly how they are supposed to bejeweled it is again. They aren’t registering motion to record but they pass the motion test through the app
damnyourupdates
Aspirant
Aspirant

You're not the only one. I am having the exact same issue as of Monday the 14th. Rebooted everything, motion is on all cameras, everything is connected, motion works when tested through app.

Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice

Glad its not just me, hopefully they are working on this as a security system that doesnt work isnt a system at all. I will continue to post on facebook and twitter asking them to update and fix until its done right.  

Quest10
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem.  No recordings since May 13.  Everything was working fine until then.

I have two base stations and four Arlo cameras.  The back door station with one camera is working fine.  The front door station with three cameras will no longer record anything.  I can go to live view, positioning mode, and motion detection test mode.  All work correctly.

If I go to Mode, the back door station shows armed and the front door station initially shows nothing.  No label and no option to set Armed/Disarmed/Schedule/Geofencing.  However, if I first select the back door station and then switch to the front door the modes appear and can be selected.  Switching modes does nothing and the label under the front door station name never appears.  This was on the web interface (which btw keeps warning me that a newer version of Adobe Flash Player is required.  I have the most recent version, 29.0.0.171, installed.).  On the iPhone app the front door station stalls on "Getting information".

Both base stations are hardware VMB3010r2 running firmware 1.10.0.4_20963.  Two camera are hardware H7 and two are H11.  All four are running 1.2.16720.  I have tried unplugging the fron door station with no effect.

Trying to do a live chat but not available.  

Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice
They told me this on Facebook

"Hi Lisa,

Our engineering team is actively investigating the root cause of these issues and working on deploying a fix soon.

Best Regards,
Arlo Team"
Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice

They told me this on Facebook. Also they got my name wrong when it's literally on the message I sent them. So not much hope
Hi Lisa,

Our engineering team is actively investigating the root cause of these issues and working on deploying a fix soon.

Best Regards,
Arlo Team
Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice
They told me this on Facebook. Also they got my name wrong when it's literally on the message I sent them. So not much hope
Hi Lisa,

Best Regards,
Arlo Team
Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice
They told me this on Facebook but they got my name wrong so not much hope as my name right there

Hi Lisa,

Best Regards,
Arlo Team
Quest10
Aspirant
Aspirant

After two chats with support I have fixed my problem.  Short version, removed the miss behaving base station and then added the base station and its three cameras back to the app.

Long version:

Chat does not seem to work with Safari, had to switch to FireFox.  The first chat was useless - they had me restart my modem and base station.  Knew it would not fix anything but went ahead anyways.  This logged me out of chat.

Started a new chat (took about 30 min until someone was available) and referenced the previous chat case number.  After much back and forth they had me remove and add back the base station.  I then had to get out a ladder so that I could bring each camera back within 3 feet of the base station to add them back.  Went quickly after the first camera.

Everything now works correctly, at least within the limitations of Arlo's wireless capability.  I wish I had done the extra work initially and installed power over ethernet (PoE) cameras.

Quest10
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also, they did verify that there was a recent base station firmware update within the last week.

Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice
Glad yours is working mine they have to fix. Nothing I can do. They said techs are working on it. Mine is Ethernet only way it gets online.
Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice
Great so it’s probably that on these that aren’t working. Instead of u installing the new one they are making us not have it. I’m Deaf I can’t call them I’m stuck with what they say.
coyotealarm
Apprentice
Apprentice

No sure this will help since I haven't gone through all the posts, but I had to resync all my cameras after the new update was repaired. It finally let me back up and running in the usual manor this morning. 

Found out accidentally about resyncing.  Had taken one camera off, removed it, and when I put it back on I naturally had to re-sync it. It recorded immediately. Resynced all and I am finally back up and running.

Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’ve reset, removed all devices reset it up as new,resynced everything. They posted on Facebook their Techs are working on it. There’s a pic on a couple comments of their response
coyotealarm
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have found that once Netgear gets the idea that there is a firmware problem, they finally get around to findng out what went wrong.  It took 48 hours and lots of complaints this time with the last update but it is back up and running correctly.

I did have to resync cameras, but all the other advise from help was useless under the circumstances since it was just the update. The resyncing I found out by chance, but it worked.ou c

If you can, wait before you go into any changes.

coyotealarm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Be sure to turn all on to armed before checking.  If set to schedule or disarmed, it won't record but will  show " live." Sounds silly, but I had that experience and finally realized I should arm first.

coyotealarm
Apprentice
Apprentice
veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Ok glad I was not the only one with this issue.  It started last night after I updated the app. on both phones.  This morning was having the same issue.  This afternoon things started to work correct again.  

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

These morons are unbelievable. It seems they may have gotten Geofencing working properly, but now my cameras are only detecting motion if the entire system is armed. I have a custom mode called "Safe" where my camera outside over my front door is armed, all the interior cameras are off. At the moment that means all cameras are off, just like Disarmed.

I tried deleting the mode and rebuilding it, no change.

What a useless and infuriating product. I can't remember buying anything that was continually broken by the manufacturer, except for certain video games that really didn't work right until about patch 3. But this has been on the market over 2 years!!! I suppose that was the good old days when the seller had to ship a functioning product and they didn't have the ability to "update" them remotely.

Kind1s
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exactly. Their products are always defective going on almost a week now. I had people in my yard yesterday. I’ve had 2 shootings out front. I’ve had masked men in my yard. I’m Deaf. I bought this based on their assurance. It worked. They advertise it works.

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

I am having the same issue with the custom mode no recording anymore.  😞  I had the issue after the last update for about 24 hours and then it went working fine.  Then last night it started all over again.  I am loving the Geofencing is working correct again.  No idea why the custom modes are broken now.  😞