Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera will not record

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
agwood04
Tutor
Tutor

I have a camera that won't record.  

It is properly synced to the base station.  I can watch a live feed from my app by hitting the play button.  I put it in the motion test mode and set it to 100% senstivity.  Then I walked around and the motion test appeared to work because the orange light when come on when it detected me walking.  

However, when take it out of the test mode it never records anything.  This camera has prviously worked just fine.

Any help fixing would be apprciated.  A camera that won't record when there is motion is pretty much worthless.

31 REPLIES 31
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Is it possible the settings for this camera in the mode you use have changed to do nothing?

Have you tried a battery pull on the camera? Failing that, have you tried deleting the camera and re-sync'ing it? Restarted the base station? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Additionally, the sensitivity setting in the motion detect test doesn't save - it simply gives you a way to try different settings.  To set the level for actual detection/recording, edit your modes and change the sensitivity level there (it defaults to 80%).  Be sure to save as you back out.

agwood04
Tutor
Tutor

I have delted the camera form the overall system, changed the batteries and re synced.  I have doulble checked that the senstivity is set at 100% and it is not recording anything.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Contact support to open a case. It may be a bad camera.

kiddos78
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having same problem since last update. Plus it quit sending me email alerts. What good is it if it doesn't record or send email alerts!!!! I get a sound alert but can't see what it was!!!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kiddos78,

What mode is your system set to? Are you able to live stream and produce manual recordings?

Check the active mode to make sure all rules are set up correctly for motion detection/email alerts and try testing again.

Are you still getting the same behavior?

JamesC

kiddos78
Aspirant
Aspirant
My system mode is off. Because it is not recording but alerting to motion when on and not sending emails. I just hear the email alerts. I have double and triple checked settings all seem to be in order. Completely at a loss. It will record sometimes in live mode. This all started when updated last month. Crazy. Worked perfect til then....
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Reset the base and start fresh.  Power cycle the base and use the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Remove all devices in Settings, My Devices.  Open and close all battery doors.  Use the Add Device button on the Devices tab to add the base and sync the cameras.  Be sure to only briefly press the base sync button - don't hold it down.  Does it work now?

kiddos78
Aspirant
Aspirant
It is going to take great effort in below freezing temps to get ladder out to get camera down. Will do and let you know....when it happens. Lol
Oldadjuster
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have all 4 cameras that recorded on motion for months and then stopped.
I rebooted the base , I checked to see the record on motion is checked , I took out the batteries , I reinstalled the cameras .
The camera records on love manually , the motion test works , they send emails when motion seen , but no recording.
I have 2 arlo Q cameras on the same system that work as expected.
What can I do,
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Are the running men black or gray on the Devices tab? Did you verify the mode that's actually selected? Maybe toggled to Disarmed and back? Are they custom modes or Armed?
Oldadjuster
Aspirant
Aspirant
All running men are black no grey outs
Only one mode and is selected

They are armed
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Oldadjuster,

This issue could be related to old firmware. What firmware are your cameras and base station running? (Settings > My Devices > select base station/camera > Firmware)

Some users have had issues getting firmware updates due to poor internet connections. Who is your ISP and what are your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

kiddos78
Aspirant
Aspirant
I give up! Calling support!
kiddos78
Aspirant
Aspirant
Absolutely ridiculous!!!!! On the phone with them for what seemed like forever!!! Their answer was your internet is to slow to update the firmware!!!! What the heck!!! All I can say is it worked before, now it does not work since update! This is not the fault of my internet speed, or me!!!! It is however your fault for making my 500.00 investment worthless. Thank you netgear and arlo!!!! Keeps asking me to review!!! I will now!!! Completely useless gathering dust!!!!
Oldadjuster
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am running firmware 1.4.295
System says no updates
Available
EarthLink is my isp
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You have old firmware. Did it automatically update overnight?
Oldadjuster
Aspirant
Aspirant
Still shows 1.4.2695
No updates available
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Power cycle the base and check again. If needed wait overnight again. Also, check your upload and download speeds at speedtest.net and let us know the results.
Oldadjuster
Aspirant
Aspirant
The base is on 1.4.2695
The arlo pro cameras are on 1.2.2688
The arlo Q cameras are on 1.8.3.0_9926
I did a reset
The download speed is 1.23 Mbps
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Oldadjuster,

What is your upload speed? This could be the reason the firmware update is not completing.

JamesC

Oldadjuster
Aspirant
Aspirant
The upload speed is .60 Mbps
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That's an issue all the way around. The minimum upload speed is 1Mbs. I'd don't know or understand why a low upload speed would affect firmware updates but it's definitely a problem. One solution is to take the system to a friend's house with better speed and do the updates there. Take the system back to your house and all should be OK as long as you use a lower setting (optimized nor best battery life) in Settings, My Devices for each camera. Otherwise, the slow speed will result in pixelation and generally low quality video.
Oldadjuster
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do I know when an update is due since my devices says no updates availble

How long would I need to leave at another location for an update

Do I need to log in from a different location to let system know it is at a new computer

How much equipment do I need to take ---just the base or all the cameras as well