Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
amotin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two cameras - one is interior and is placed above and angled toward a glass door leading to the outside. I had the sensitivity set to about 75% and it recorded a couple videos each day, when someone came through that door.

The second camera was placed outside, also above and facing a door. Despite turning the sensitivity down to 5%, I was still getting upwards of 100 videos in an 8-hour period. I figured it must be a problem with the light outdoors, but after moving it inside, I am still getting the same results (217 videos while I was asleep last night).

Any ideas? I understand the challenge of motion dection and sunlight, but my other camera works fine in similar circumstances.

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the PIR detects IR and sunlight or reflections are a large source if IR, like you I would have thought it would have been the light reflections...

But as you took it inside, I say not.

First, I'd check the camera s/w version.... there is a new version , now 1.2.2545

Second , if the cameras are updated already, a simple fix to try is to open and wait 5 secs, then close the battery door ( to reset the camera )

Do not  reopen the camera battery door until the camera has resync'ed with the base. Or if it starts a s/w update.

Third, another thing to check later is when motion detect is turned off manually ( all motion off ), make sure the "running man" is GRAY ( motione detect off ). If he's green, something in the rule/modes are messed up

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
amotin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, unfortunately I've tried all of those.

As you might expect, the overuse has killed two sets of batteries, so I've opened the cover and resync-ed it. Software is up to date. And the mode I created with Camera 1 on and Camera 2 off does work as designed. It's just that every time Camera 2 is on, I can't get it to stop recording.

Only thing I have not tried yet is switching the camera themselves - but I just do not understand how any environment could generate 200 videos at 5% sensitivity.

Thanks for your help!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Only thing I have not tried yet is switching the camera themselves - but I just do not understand how any environment could generate 200 videos at 5% sensitivity.

Sunlight and/or reflection of same is a big problem for the PIR as it detects it from car windshields, other items like off aswinging door glass, etc.

That why the cam should be set for a range max of 15-20 feet out and a downward angle ( to prevent reflections which give false triggers ).

So swap the two cameras, that will eliminate the location vs camera ( i thought you had swapped already )

PS.. IR does not go thru glass so the inside one WILL NOT see the IR reflections

amotin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I switched the cameras last night and lo and behold, Camera 2 fired off 20 times in short order. So it does appear to be a problem with that particular camera, not the location / light / reflection of that environment.

Any idea on how that could be possible / any idea what I can do about it? Both cameras are on 1.2.2412 and have the sensitivity set to 5%.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

amotin wrote:

I switched the cameras last night and lo and behold, Camera 2 fired off 20 times in short order. So it does appear to be a problem with that particular camera, not the location / light / reflection of that environment.

Any idea on how that could be possible / any idea what I can do about it? Both cameras are on 1.2.2412 and have the sensitivity set to 5%.

If you believe its the camera, contact Netgear and/or open a case

AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

I have a camera that has started to do this. It's position hasn't changed yet all of a sudden it's taking videos like crazy.

I moved it inside and it doesn't appear to be doing it anymore however, so it must be something sun related. Solar Flares ? LoL

amotin
Aspirant
Aspirant

FYI, support suggested I turn the sensitivity on the problem camera down to 1%, and even faced against a blank wall it kept firing off recordings. I am supposedly being escalated to a higher level of support - can't see how it's anything other than hardware at this point. Will update if/when I learn more.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

if you haven't, try and reset the camera.. (open pod bay door Hal...  sorry) , open battery door for 5 seconds and then reshut

amotin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Really shocked and disappointed with Netgear.

Their tech support basically admitted that I had a hardware issue / faulty camera, then told me that despite having registered serial numbers, the original packaging, etc., I am out of luck because I don't still have a valid proof or purchase (!).

I cannot believe that a respectable company like Netgear brought a product like this to market - one that is clearly flawed and necessitates a vibrant support community like this one - and then hides behind a technicality and won't fully support it. And this is for a SECURITY product - it's not a meaningless peripheral.

I guess I'll tell people I know to wait a few years before looking at Arlo, and if they buy it, keep their receipt for the rest of their lives.

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good morning Amotin,

Thank you for providing your feedback as it relates to the issue with your Arlo camera and your interaction with our Technical Support department. In reviewing your case it appears the requirements to authorize a warranty exchange falls outside of the NETGEAR Warranty policy guidelines. You can review the guidelines by visiting NETGEAR - limited hardware warranty.

Although it appears your Arlo system falls outside of the warranty guidelines, I would like an opportunity to continue working with you while also engaging our engineering department to determine why this particular camera is triggering more frequently than expected.

I will send you a private message so we can continue troubleshooting this issue.

Best Regards,

Christine

Arlo Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.