Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera names different for different users?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
jasongabler
Star
Star

I recently moved one of my cameras to a different spot around the house and decided it needed a different name. I made the name change using the admin account on the phone app.  I could see the change on the phone app and the web when using the admin account. Howver, I was surprised to see that my regular user account still displayed the old camera name when using either platform.  I had assumed that the names of devices was not recorded per account but was a system-wide setting. This would appear to prove that wrong. 

Should users be seeing different device names for the same devices? Or, should I be able to make the change from any authorized account and the change should show for all accounts?

Thanks,

jyg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jasongabler,

I've discussed this topic with the development team. It is currently designed to allow each user to customize the camera name without interfering with any other shared or primary user.

If you would like to see a change made to this feature, I recommend posting in the Arlo Idea Exchange where others can offer support to your idea by adding kudos.

JamesC

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
brh
Master
Master

@jasongabler

When you changed the name did you remember to hit Save at the top of the page?

Brian

jasongabler
Star
Star
wrote:

@jasongabler

When you changed the name did you remember to hit Save at the top of the page?

Brian

Hello @brh,

Yes. As I said in my original post, I could see the change in both the phone app and the web app, but only when logged into either as the admin user.  If I can see the change in both platforms, albeit on the same account, the changed data must be saved somewhere, and somewhere other than the device/plantform on which the change was performed.  Again, the issue is propagation between accounts.

Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe deselecting the camera in Grant Access for your second account, save and then reselect and save would work.

jasongabler
Star
Star

@jguerdatwrote:

Maybe deselecting the camera in Grant Access for your second account, save and then reselect and save would work.

@jguerdat,

Yes, as I just found out in this thread,  that is the only way to propagate such changes. What bothers me about that thread is the moderator claims this behavior is as intended.  I'm hard pressed to believe that. While I can understand there might be some out there who wants to customize camera names for themselves, generally people in a community discussing the cameras would want to have a common frame of reference for each.  As well, when someone moves a camera, as in my case, how confusing it would be to have a camera named "Front Door" when it was moved to cover the back door?

I can only imagine that this behavior is a design oversight, a bug. Though, I'd love to hear  a good explanation/justification from Netgear pointing out a shortcoming in my imagination Smiley Happy

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jasongabler,

I've discussed this topic with the development team. It is currently designed to allow each user to customize the camera name without interfering with any other shared or primary user.

If you would like to see a change made to this feature, I recommend posting in the Arlo Idea Exchange where others can offer support to your idea by adding kudos.

JamesC

jasongabler
Star
Star

Thanks @JamesC, I will do that.